The timeline of Terraria updates and why I started playing with spreadsheets.

Mrocza

Terrarian
I took the time to aggregate the data on release dates of all the Terraria updates we've seen so far. There's been a few, to say the least, so there is a lot of numbers to go through.
To make it a bit more pleasant to the eye and easier to grasp I've neatly arranged all the updates on a timeline.
Please do take the time to scroll through that one and note any islands of increased activity and especially the gaps between them.

UAFqOTa.png

My apologies to your scroll wheel.
On your trip down the 8-year lane, you might have noticed a few gaps. Especially the one on the very end.

Analysis of the time between updates shows the wait we have to endure between content drops. And so a minor, 4th version number update like 1.3.5.3 takes an average of 5 days (±6). Medium, 3rd number update like 1.3.5 is in the oven for an average of 53 days (±66). A large update like 1.3 takes quite a while, on average 380 days (±212). That's over a year!
Why am I bringing this up? It's been 759 days since the last update. That's beyond the scope of numbers above, falls around the 3rd percentile for even a large update.

I have faith 1.3.6 is going to be great and I do feel like it is very close now but I am a bit worried as to what's been happening. So worried in fact that I stopped playing games and started playing with spreadsheets.

Numbers in pretenses show standard deviation from the average value, these are quite large due to the small sample size. Even tho there's been a lot of updates it's still very few to run statistics on.
PS I might have just written the longest post on the forums.

1.3.6 is apparently going to release this year (2019) so hopefully is releases during the summer.
So 1.3.6 is both:
A: Gonna be better/bigger than 1.3
B: The longest update EVER.
I’m giving them until August before I’m like “release dis already”

There are a few reasons why it took this long, (Otherworld, Mobile 1,3, etc)
I also think the team is secretly working on terraria 2, but that’s just speculation..
Also nice job on the spreadsheet(s?).

This is a pretty interesting read to see the update frequenty. Havn't realised the parts between 1.0 and 1.0.6.1 were such short living ones.
Good job at it.

So 1.3.6 is both:
Hold up... If that is the case and the update is indeed meant to be larger than 1.3 was, how come it is not labeled as 1.4? Are there any specific criteria an update has to meet to earn the right for a larger number?
Given the spoilers we've already seen I'm not sure the update would be 1.4-worthy. Were there any new bosses/biomes/mechanics hinted at?

1.3.6 is apparently going to release this year (2019) so hopefully is releases during the summer.
So 1.3.6 is both:
I’m giving them until August before I’m like “release dis already”

There are a few reasons why it took this long, (Otherworld, Mobile 1,3, etc)
I also think the team is secretly working on terraria 2, but that’s just speculation..
Also nice job on the spreadsheet(s?).
Don't get your hopes up, we're looking at a Fall release at best

Analysis of the time between updates shows the wait we have to endure between content drops. And so a minor, 4th version number update like 1.3.5.3 takes an average of 5 days (±6). Medium, 3rd number update like 1.3.5 is in the oven for an average of 53 days (±66). A large update like 1.3 takes quite a while, on average 380 days (±212). That's over a year!
Why am I bringing this up? It's been 759 days since the last update. That's beyond the scope of numbers above, falls around the 3rd percentile for even a large update.
A minor update is usually for bug fixes, which are comparatively quick and safe. 1.3.6 has been an unusual one. It was supposed to focus on "polish", but the scope for that could be quite broad. Some of the things spoilered (not going to mention anything to keep this spoiler free; you can check the PC - Re-Logic forum for spoilers) so far probably would have required a significant amount of testing. I thought it was going to be mostly a bunch of bug fixes and would take a couple of months at the most, but I was very wrong there! It also depends on what has been changed. Things like the wiring update or underground desert update are narrow in scope, so easier to implement and test. Again, "polish" could be quite a broad area and might be requiring changes and testing across the whole game.

Good graph though - it's quite interesting to see how long things have taken.

Don't get your hopes up, we're looking at a Fall release at best
Well autumn is about to finish in the southern hemisphere, so they better hurry up. ;)

A minor update is usually for bug fixes, which are comparatively quick and safe. 1.3.6 has been an unusual one. It was supposed to focus on "polish", but the scope for that could be quite broad. Some of the things spoilered (not going to mention anything to keep this spoiler free; you can check the PC - Re-Logic forum for spoilers) so far probably would have required a significant amount of testing. I thought it was going to be mostly a bunch of bug fixes and would take a couple of months at the most, but I was very wrong there! It also depends on what has been changed. Things like the wiring update or underground desert update are narrow in scope, so easier to implement and test. Again, "polish" could be quite a broad area and might be requiring changes and testing across the whole game.

Good graph though - it's quite interesting to see how long things have taken.

Well autumn is about to finish in the southern hemisphere, so they better hurry up. ;)
The Southern Hemisphere doesn't exist

Back
Top Bottom