Terraria shares a lot of it's sound effects with Kingdom Rush. Why?

Eye Of Cthulhu 🌳

Eye of Cthulhu
I noticed that when I was watching a video, the two ice sounds, the spell casting sound, and I'm sure a few more are exactly the same between Kingdom Rush and terraria.

I remember hearing once that Red got the sounds off a royalty free website, But I just wonder why they're the exact same.

Well I've never played Kingdom Rush, but if Red did grab some sound effects off of a royalty-free website, then it's safe to assume that other developers could have done the same with their games.

Some info from a quick Google search: Kingdom Rush was released in July 2011 after six months of development. Terraria began development on January 2011, the same month as Kingdom Rush.

This leads me to believe that Redigit and the developers of Kingdom Rush both used the same website to find free-use sound effects, and with that in mind, it isn't crazy to think that they'd choose some of the same sounds by coincidence.

It's just coincidence, that's all.

It's likely that most games use public domain sounds, and it's no big deal if two (or more) games share some of them. It's much more cost-effective than sourcing and recording bespoke sound effects (and then legally chasing down people who "borrow" them, if you were inclined to do that).

Some time ago, someone pointed out that the Eye of Cthulhu "roar" sound was also used as a boss sound in some other game (I don't remember which), and claimed that the other game developer could sue Re-Logic for infringement. This was not the case, of course.

Back
Top Bottom