Linux Terraria Undeluxe Edition Multiplayer Not functioning on Linux

dennisw100

Official Terrarian
Hi,
I cannot play Mutiplayer on the Undeluxe edition on Linux (I'm on POP-OS and use Proton GE not sure if this matters), Hosting a server doesn't work connecting to a server doesn't work both results in the game being stuck in either the "Requesting World information" or "Requesting Tile data" massages and it will stay this way I have let it try to do that for half an hour or something.
IMG_20240403_002511.jpg

Hello,
Terraria didn't officially support Linux until the 1.3 update, so you won't be able to run this version of the game or server on Linux (or MacOS).

Hello,
Terraria didn't officially support Linux until the 1.3 update, so you won't be able to run this version of the game or server on Linux (or MacOS).
But running the game itself works with proton its only the Multiplayer that doesn't function for some reason.

But running the game itself works with proton its only the Multiplayer that doesn't function for some reason.
If you're able to get some of it to function, that's great! Sadly however that's unsupported behaviour (ie it's not expected to work at all) so there's no known method to get it to work. Bear in mind that this version existed long before proton was a thing, in a time where for most games to run on Linux they needed the developers to implement it all themselves.

If you're able to get some of it to function, that's great! Sadly however that's unsupported behaviour (ie it's not expected to work at all) so there's no known method to get it to work. Bear in mind that this version existed long before proton was a thing, in a time where for most games to run on Linux they needed the developers to implement it all themselves.
Hm I guess this might be the first time anyone tried to run this very old version on Linux, but I do think people probably already tried running newer versions on Linux before 1.3 and I feel like those might had the same problem, given I don't think the networking stuff was that much altered from back then.
Sadly finding stuff on google about older versions is not really easy.
I hope someone in here could at lest have an idea of what could be the problem or maybe knows how to diagnose this better given the only thing I can do is trying to connect and then wait for basically nothing to happen, give it just gets stuck at one of the 2 steps I mentioned earlier.

I think you could try using WINE or a Windows VM to emulate Windows for Terraria 1.0.6
I'm already using proton which is basically the same think (aka a fork of wine) just branded by Valve.
I don't really wanna use a vm I don't think the game would run that well in it

I'm already using proton which is basically the same think (aka a fork of wine) just branded by Valve.
I don't really wanna use a vm I don't think the game would run that well in it
FWIW Back in the pre-1.3 days people used to run Terraria in a VM all the time on Mac and Linux, so you might have some luck. This was before WINE is as good as it is today, and before Proton even existed so it was the only option.

Back
Top Bottom