**REPORTED** Apple M1 MBP. Crash on startup if there are too many screen resolutions!

MatviCoolk

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Mac Other
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Снимок экрана 2023-02-23 в 15.38.41.png

I have tried to open via binary file.

[Error log]
src/steamnetworkingsockets/clientlib/steamnetworkingsockets_lowlevel.cpp (3243) : Trying to close low level socket support, but we still have sockets open!
src/steamnetworkingsockets/clientlib/steamnetworkingsockets_lowlevel.cpp (3243) : Trying to close low level socket support, but we still have sockets open!

I cannot define version because it's not launching

Crash log:

23.02.2023 15:50:40
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.Main.CacheSupportedDisplaySizes () [0x000a0] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Terraria.Main.ClientInitialize () [0x001ea] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Terraria.Main.Initialize () [0x00175] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize () [0x00039] in <0d98e7b0b9fd41c99d818f5193269d29>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () [0x0000e] in <0d98e7b0b9fd41c99d818f5193269d29>:0
at Terraria.Program.RunGame () [0x00077] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0

[SOLUTION]
I canceled smooth resolution scaling.

Last edited:
here is a similar thread and how they solved this issue, it looks like an invalid wall/block could be placed in your world and you can use something like TEdit to fix this issue. The cause of the invalid wall is unknown to me, maybe a dev has found out.

here is a similar thread and how they solved this issue, it looks like an invalid wall/block could be placed in your world and you can use something like TEdit to fix this issue. The cause of the invalid wall is unknown to me, maybe a dev has found out.
But crashes when starting the game, not when entering the world. I tried deleting worlds and players but it didn't work (

MacOS Ventura 13.2 (a)
Apple M1

Game worked before (3-4 days ago)
Ah okay, didn't see it mb. Try checking your worlds folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Worlds
see if the file is still in there

Terraria could also be pulling from steam cloud so make sure to check your steam data folder as well

Ah okay, didn't see it mb. Try checking your worlds folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Worlds
see if the file is still in there
I tried deleting everything from the "terraria" folder. (just move it somewhere else)
After that, two files "config.json" and "input profiles.json" were created in it. Then the game closed.

In steam, the integrity check of the terraria files passed, but it still does not start.
I tried to turn off the synchronization and try again, nothing happened.

Interesting, this is the only case I'm seeing it not include the world files. You can try a complete reinstall.
1. Uninstall Terraria on Steam, close Steam.
2. Go to "*Drive*:\Steam\steamapps\common" and delete the Terraria folder, if there is one.
3. Search with the explorer for remaining Terraria files, delete them.
4. Delete any files, which are interlinked with older Terraria versions, those might cause problems.
5. That includes deleting the files in "C:\Users\home\Documents\My Games\Terraria"
*HOWEVER this will delete all of your worlds and you characters!*
4. Restart your PC
5. Reinstall Terraria on Steam.

Last edited:
Interesting, this is the only case I'm seeing it not include the world files. You can try a complete reinstall.
1. Uninstall Terraria on Steam, close Steam.
2. Go to "*Drive*:\Steam\steamapps\common" and delete the Terraria folder, if there is one.
3. Search with the explorer for remaining Terraria files, delete them.
4. Delete any files, which are interlinked with older Terraria versions, those might cause problems.
5. That includes deleting the files in "C:\Users\home\Documents\My Games\Terraria"
*HOWEVER this will delete all of your worlds and you characters!*
4. Restart your PC
5. Reinstall Terraria on Steam.
I tried to uninstall terraria, even reinstalled steam, uninstalled everything connected, downloaded a new one, but it also does not start.
Sorry for the long reply

This looks like a regular client bug. From what I can see the game iterates over the supported display resolution settings the computer reports and caches them (see the "CacheSupportedDisplaySizes" in the log) during initialization. However the cache is limited to 99 sizes and based on that exception, your device reports more than 99 different display settings and ReLogic forgot (or understandably didn't imagine this scenario) to put a check to not go above that range.
Based on this, you could try tinkering with your display resolution settings to maybe get it to not report this many resolutions as a workaround.

This looks like a regular client bug. From what I can see the game iterates over the supported display resolution settings the computer reports and caches them (see the "CacheSupportedDisplaySizes" in the log) during initialization. However the cache is limited to 99 sizes and based on that exception, your device reports more than 99 different display settings and ReLogic forgot (or understandably didn't imagine this scenario) to put a check to not go above that range.
Based on this, you could try tinkering with your display resolution settings to maybe get it to not report this many resolutions as a workaround.
Oh my God! Thanks a lot! I canceled smooth resolution scaling! And terraria started working again! thanks again

I know it's a little late but i have the excact same problem and i can't fix it. I get the "Terraria.Main.CacheSupportedDisplaySizes ()" error.
What do you mean when you say "canceled smooth resoloution scaling"?
Thanks!

Attachments

• client.log
    7.5 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 400012
I have tried to open via binary file.

[Error log]

I cannot define version because it's not launching

Crash log:

23.02.2023 15:50:40
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.Main.CacheSupportedDisplaySizes () [0x000a0] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Terraria.Main.ClientInitialize () [0x001ea] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Terraria.Main.Initialize () [0x00175] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize () [0x00039] in <0d98e7b0b9fd41c99d818f5193269d29>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () [0x0000e] in <0d98e7b0b9fd41c99d818f5193269d29>:0
at Terraria.Program.RunGame () [0x00077] in <f066af70dcb24a3f894d56c17fe80d6a>:0

[SOLUTION]
I canceled smooth resolution scaling.
Dam thats sad

I know it's a little late but i have the excact same problem and i can't fix it. I get the "Terraria.Main.CacheSupportedDisplaySizes ()" error.
What do you mean when you say "canceled smooth resoloution scaling"?
Thanks!
You can probably find it just by poking around in the display settings, since it has got to be in there somewhere

Back
Top Bottom