Terraria Community Forums

W1K
W1K
It really depends on how fitting said sound is honestly, I've seen a lot of games recycling sounds over and over without ruining the feel (Terraria does that a lot too).
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
No, sound is definitely not 33% of a game. It's in the same boat as graphics; not necessarily required, but needs to be set right to churn out the perfect atmosphere. And 2/3 of a game being about two senses of the body doesn't usually turn out to be great.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
While I agree that they've recycled sounds a bit too much, this has improved over time. Before 1.2, I'm fairly sure that there was only the default bullet sound and the shotgun. When 1.2 arrived, we got the more dynamic one used by handguns and the Chaingun, the auto shotty sound and the sniper rifle shot.
LoveSpreader
LoveSpreader
Eh, well, as long as I don't get a bloody bird chirping every time I use a weapon, it's good enough. Unless of course said weapon involves something with birds that would cause them to chirp.
Tsuki
Tsuki
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
I'll wait until I experience it to give my judgement.
LoveSpreader
LoveSpreader
Then BOOM!, we get a bird's squawk every time someone uses an axe to chop trees.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Sound is exactly 0% of a game, same as music, graphics and story. Don't quantify things that are a variable and, sometimes, not even needed.

A game can have "the best" graphics, "awesome" music, an "awesome" story, and still be ruined by :red:ty, boring, over-used combat mechanics which don't do nothing to keep you interested in-between cutscene and cutscene.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Meanwhile, I'm still playing Tetris once every few weeks, even though its graphics are archaics, there is no plot, the sound is like a cat's cough, and the music is monotonous and cringe-worthy.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Razor, saying sound/graphics and whatever is 0% is just being on the other end of the extreme.

Though largely dependent on the specific game (Telltale game focuses on story, Terraria on gameplay as examples), you still need the sound and graphics to fit in. A game can still be enjoyable with a really interesting story but crappy game mechanics, and vice versa.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Example of mis-use of sound: Halo 4; Master Chief saying farewell to Cortana. And in the middle of the scene, Enter Sandman by Metallica just randomly plays. Humorous, maybe, but certainly not fitting.
Back
Top Bottom