Boooo
Boooo
You could ask and find out!
TheQuietBisharp
TheQuietBisharp
Alright, humor me.
Boooo
Boooo
As a preface, I'll state that we really didn't know that DC has a lot of strict anti-truancy laws to counteract the big problems they have with truancy in the area. Our group, of course, is not from DC, so we didn't know about this. We were out for lunch (might I add, with adults, although they weren't with us since we were left to our own devices to find where we wanted to eat)... [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
And some students (not in my mini-group, we went to a chili place down the road) went to a Subway and were served food. Here's the important part - they weren't wearing their lanyards that stated pretty obviously, if not literally, that "hey, we're not from the area and we don't attend school here!" - and they were still served anyway, which is against the law on the Subway's part. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
It's against the law since restaurants in the DC area are forbidden by law to serve food to unaccompanied minors during school hours, so anti-truancy police that just happened to be in the area noticed these students and took them outside the restaurant for questioning, as well as the Subway manager for lecturing about breaking the law (which they technically did). [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
So after some questioning, the officers aren't sure if our students are telling the truth, and they ask if we have a number we can call to summon the adults. They say that they have an emergency number they can call (a true fact; it was written on the back of our lanyard cards) but it doesn't direct right to our guides and no one knows our teachers' numbers. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
The police remain unconvinced, but eventually one of the tour guides shows up and begins to talk to the police officers. Weirdly enough, the police are still unconvinced. Enter me and my friend. We're coming back from the chili place (all wearing our lanyards, conveniently enough), and we notice the police questioning one of our guides and our classmates, so we head over there. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
Once the police notice our lanyards, they begin to get more convinced, but still want to take us all to the police station for more questioning. Obviously, this would greatly mess with our plans for the day, so we all argue with the police officers until finally they're convinced. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
After that whole snafu, we headed to Lincoln Park (yes, that's a real place in DC), where there was a crazy old man on a motorcycle riding around a statue of Abraham Lincoln carrying an Olympic flag and shouting his head off. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
Our tour guides attempted to ignore him, but that was of course ineffectual since our group paid attention to this guy anyway (it was so much more interesting than what our guides were talking about, believe me). [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
Once we were dismissed to study the two statues, my friend and I finally can't control our laughter any more and start laughing our heads off. The motorcyclist, at this point, is kicking around his motorcycle helmet and yelling about Tiger Woods (no, I'm not joking). [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
We notice this police officer striding up, and we start laughing even harder. The man begins to make small talk with this police officer, complimenting him and stuff, so props to him for at least trying. [cont]
Boooo
Boooo
Eventually, a second officer shows up, and after some more talk, they secure his bike, drape the Olympic flag over it, handcuff the dude, and lead him to their police car. My friend and I are still laughing about this, and this guy, after getting in the police car, keeps making small talk with the officers. The door is finally closed, and they drive off.
Back
Top Bottom