Terraria Community Forums

Aurora3500
Aurora3500
Your options for buying Terraria on PC are either Steam or GOG. Those are the 2 ways in which Terraria is offered on PC.

If you want Terraria to be DRM Free, and would enjoy the ability to manually update so that mods don't break with new updates, I would go GOG. Steam on the other hand gets the new updates a little quicker, and has a larger User base. It's up to you to weigh the pros/cons of each and decide.
Dalentim
Dalentim
if you don't really care about steam, go for GOG's version. DRM-free goodness.
MettaX
MettaX
What is DRM???
MettaX
MettaX
And thank you
Aurora3500
Aurora3500
DRM means "Digital Rights Management". It basically means that some game clients "like Steam" require you to be running Steam in order to play your games. It's to prevent piracy/unauthorized copying of game files. (It's effectiveness is up for debate.) Some clients/games do require you to be always online to play them. ->
MettaX
MettaX
Hm.ok.and what about the gog. Will updates ruin my mods and can i bring my mod items in to multyplayer???
Aurora3500
Aurora3500
With GOG, you do not need anything else running to run the game or to be online. The GOG Galaxy Client is also optional to use unlike Steam's Client with Steam games. That's what is usually meant by "DRM". GOG also allows you to backup your game installers and sometimes includes extra goodies in games.
MettaX
MettaX
Well thats nice.and uh, what kind of goods?..
Dalentim
Dalentim
they're often discount cards, for example, terraria gave one for pixel piracy, some games give away theyr soundtracks.. some free dlc every now and then, but it's really rare and to be frank, it doesn't even matter.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
The only way you can bring mod items into Multiplayer is if the server/server host is running the same mods.

This excludes anything client side like texture packs and the like, I believe.
Aurora3500
Aurora3500
It depends on the game, some might not offer extras on GOG. While others will offer things like soundtracks/concept art/profile icons/backgrounds/ Guidebooks or Old Alpha builds of the game. Terraria for example on GOG includes the 1st 2 Soundtrack Collections for free.
MettaX
MettaX
Well thank you guys so much for your veiw of everything.i think ill go with steam because it seems more legit and cannon.mods that arent originally from the game will probaly ruin the real terraria experience
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Don't know what a siege weapon has to do with anything, but I do know that canon only refers to a game's story. Which Terraria doesn't exactly have one. Maybe different with Otherworld but have to wait for that come out to be sure.
MettaX
MettaX
I ment canon as in true.like hiw dbz gt isnt cannon when dragon ball super is. Get it?
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Canon is used when something is true to a game, movie, book, TV show, or other form of medium's established story or setting.
MettaX
MettaX
Exactly
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
My point: That has nothing to do with Terraria on Steam. That has nothing to do with the game's story or setting.
MettaX
MettaX
Uh ok. Haha i just confused myself so bad
MettaX
MettaX
Its just there are really cool mods like custom vanity , and custom weapons and armour. But those arent real so they wouldnt work in a multyplayer.cause that my kind of setting.also isnt the max number of players like 200somthing? I know the default is8
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
So... how does this relate to Terraria's story or setting? I read this over two or three times and it's not making any sense to me at all. Starting to think you're seriously misunderstanding the definition and use of the word 'canon' here.
Back
Top Bottom