Terraria Community Forums

ppowersteef
ppowersteef
My native language is Dutch, but usually I play games English when possible.

Some games do have translations to Dutch, but I don't prefer those as the translations often don't fit correctly, or take longer to read/understand, as there is no general definition of common terms.
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
In a case of Anime, I prefer English subtitles as using only English voice makes it harder for me to follow what they're saying.
Nowadays I watch new movies mostly in English to understand all the jokes and puns correctly. Though if it's a classic movie, I prefer watching it in Dutch out of nostalgia.
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
I think currently, I play Xenoblades with both English voice and subtitles, I think that was already set by default.
I'm pretty fine with that, with the sole exception of Zekenator's huge lip desync, lol.
Adalicia
Adalicia
I see.

Thank you for answering my question, Ppowersteef.

I was wondering because of your art of XenoBlade 2.

Hana was listed "poppi," and Merefu was listed "Azula."

I believed that Hana was localized to "Poppi" in the English release, but thought that Merefu was localized as "Morág."

This difference is what generated the question. I must have been mistaken about Merefu's localized name.
Adalicia
Adalicia
As for how I consume media, I generally set it to the native language of the area it was created in, provided I understand it.

Western computer games I use English voice and text, while Eastern computer games I use Japanese text and voice.

There are exceptions to this rule, but it is generally the case. If it was produced in a language I cannot understand, I will use both and see which I prefer.
Adalicia
Adalicia
This rule also applies to film, and to books.

On that note, I really ought to expedite my learning of German, Mandarin, and Greek, as there are texts I wish to read in their original format.

My aside aside, thank you again for answering my question. It is always nice to hear how others go about the mundane in their lives.
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
It's pretty interesting to see how different languages are build up.
In my view, I often see English words been shorter/easier to say than dutch words, as when I compare translations in movies/movie songs, I see that dutch often struggle to rhyme while keeping the pace, while with English, the song goes very smooth (of course, the latter was likely the intention)
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
There are a few exceptions though, it might be nostalgia bias, but there are some shows/movies where a dutch translation fit the character better than the English one.
In Anime, I also notice that Japanese has their sentences even faster than English ones. So it happens sometimes that I'd have to pause a section to read what they were saying.
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
And indeed, in my case I see the mentioned Xenoblade characters as Poppi and Morág, I think it fits them.
...There's something ironically interesting that Morág is translated as Azula, as I also refer Morág as "Azula" from Avatar, Who also had a similair hairstyle, royality, hostility and blue flames.
ppowersteef
ppowersteef
Good luck on your study of new languages, I think there's quite a charm on learning a new one. Though by myself, I keep it at Dutch, English, and programming languages :)
Back
Top Bottom