PS4 [1.4.3] Obsidian armor does not work on spinal tap

Thatlexi12345

Terrarian
On PlayStation 4 pro, latest version
I started playing the new update and was excited to try out the obsidian armor and spinal tap on my expert mode world. I was fighting against deerclops and noticed that most of my swings weren't even hitting. I was really curious as to why so I started hitting my dummy and it did damage it, only when near it. If far enough, the whip eventually did no damage even though the weapon is touching the dummy itself (video posted underneath). It seems as though the armor only causes the whip sprite to increase in size, not the actual hitbox of the whip. I tried out my endgame summoner character with the kaleidoscope to see if it was just the armor or the spinal tap, and the weapon functions normally with no obsidian armor, but with obsidian armor it has the exact same problem. This has to be a issue with the whip size increase from the obsidian armor that is not functioning as intended it seems.

(EDIT: changed wording of title, "breaks" implies that obsidian armor would destroy whips, not the case. My post explains why the armor has no effect on whips)
(EDIT 2: Kaleidiscope does work with obsidian armor, the only problem I had was that the whip did not hit from certain angles. Still functions normally. Changed thread title)

Last edited:
This is the same on Xbox, obsidian armor only increased the sprite and not actual hitbox of whips. As i did the same testing and has the same results. Was going to post this bug yesterday but didn't have an account to report it so ty for reporting it @Thatlexi12345

This is the same on Xbox, obsidian armor only increased the sprite and not actual hitbox of whips. As i did the same testing and has the same results. Was going to post this bug yesterday but didn't have an account to report it so ty for reporting it @Thatlexi12345
No problem, bit surprising it's in xbox as well but I guess they should fix it soon enough.

I believe its only the spinal tap,atleast in xbox.Every other whip seems to work fine and I already tried out and the obsidian armor actually increases the range and hitbox of the whips. I get far of the dummies where I couldnt hit them before with the armor and now I can.

Edit: I tried it out and the obsidian armor is glitched with the spinal tap but it seems its only with this whip.Try out every other whip and where you would only reach to hit one dummy,you will hit atleast 3 more

Last edited:
I believe its only the spinal tap,atleast in xbox.Every other whip seems to work fine and I already tried out and the obsidian armor actually increases the range and hitbox of the whips. I get far of the dummies where I couldnt hit them before with the armor and now I can.

Edit: I tried it out and the obsidian armor is glitched with the spinal tap but it seems its only with this whip.Try out every other whip and where you would only reach to hit one dummy,you will hit atleast 3 more
From a quick test on some training dummies, the spinal tap not only doesn't get the range buff from the armor it actually gets a range nerf from 15 blocks (base range) to 12 blocks so getting a 20% decreased range with the set bonus

I did some real testing with obsidian armor+kaleidoscope (I didnt test it the first time, more so just a couple whips), and it seems it DOES benefit from the obsidian armor bonus, but the problem I had is that the whip does not actually hit from certain angles, not a game bug but just a player issue, so no big deal. I tried out the spinal tap a lot more and yes, it is still bugged and does not work. I will update the title to be more accurate, apologies for being misleading.

Back
Top Bottom