PS4 "A network error has occurred"

Hamza Arab

Terrarian
I bought Terraria recently and really liked it but when my friend bought it we tried playing with each other but we couldn't cuz every time he tries to join me or i try to join him it says "a network error has occurred" its been a week since this i had this problem and i tried everything literally and it wont go away so if anybody knows a solution for this problem let me know and ill really appreciate it.

On your console's network status page, what type of NAT do you have? Please ask your friend as well.

Hmm, normally it should work then.

Are your Terraria localized? Eg are the menus in another language than english?

Hmm, I have been trying to help some people with this issue and a theory i had was that localization was the culprit. Most if not all having this issue seems to be from a non-english country.

Ok, lets dig deeper. Having NAT type 2 means your PS4 connects to the internet through a router, and you have either port forwarded manually (less likely) or are using the UPnP service (most likely).

Do you have access to your router? Can you configure it's settings?

I have access to the router but there is only two buttons on it one for the WPS and one to turn it off
And i dont think i can do anything

What I mean with access is not physical access, but rather access to it's settings. That is usually done by using a web browser.

Try Select
icon_settings.png
(Settings) > [Network] > [View Connection Status]

You should see some info about how your PS4 is connected to the internet.
See if there's a Gateway address listed. That is the address to your router. Type that address in a web browser. (for example http://192.168.0.1 or http://10.0.0.1)

okay I understand now and yes i have access to everything from the website but i cant see anything about the ps4 it says that it's connected but i cant find any information about it

When you log into your router using a web browser. You should be shown a Status page where things like your router's current internet address (WAN), Uptime (how long your router have had that address), DNS, and some other info specific to how your router connects to the internet (cable, adsl, ftth etc).

The only information I want from your router right now is whether the router's WAN address (internet address) begins with 192.68. or 10.0. or not. If it doesn't then that part is good.

Are you certain about that? Your router has 2 addresses, one LAN address (for your local network) that always begins with 192.168. or 10.0. , and there is also the WAN address (on the internet side).

That's great! Then this isn't a double-NAT situation like I feared. Your internet should be ok, so you should really be able to host a game in Terraria.

How exactly do you go about when connecting to your friend? If you are using the Multiplayer->Join menu in Terraria, be aware it might not work right. I recommend sending invites and join through the PS4 Friends menu instead.

You should try being the host.

Also, if you are a member of any community, be aware that other members may join your multiplayer session. Some of them may like to destroy things. To prevent that, the only workaround availabe right now is to leave all communities.

The problem is not with hosting the game its with people not being able to join me and me not being able to join anybody.
and I usually invite my friend through the ps4 party and not through the game menu.

Ok, then I don't know. We have pretty much gone through everything. The only thing left to try is to port forward manually, but it's unlikely it will change anything. Unless your router is ancient, UPnP works well enough.

If you wish to try forwarding manually, look up if there's a guide for your particular router model at portforward.com. There may even be a guide specific for PS4 if your lucky. The ports you need to forward are:
  • TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479
Oh, I'm afraid to ask as it is such an obvious requirement, but you and your friend do have PS+ right?

If this doesn't solve your issue, please report it directly to the delevopers: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form
Make sure you include a link to this thread. Then they will see what you have tried.

EDIT
There's one more thing to check.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom