Aselia the Eternal (Eien no Aselia)

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
Aselia the Eternal (also known as the Spirit of Eternity Sword or Eien no Aselia) is a Visual Novel/RPG Hybrid originally released in Japan in 2003 for the PC. Only very recently back in 2011 has it been allowed light outside of Japan when it got localized into English. While the original game is 18+, all of the English localized versions have removed the 18+ Content allowing All Ages to play this game. There are no unofficial restoration patches for 18+ Content because the version that was localized was done from the PS2 Port. Very recently a Greenlight Campaign has been launched to get the game on Steam. Which has now been Greenlit.

The Sequel Seinarukana is also getting localized into English and will soon have a Greenlight Campaign as well. While it isn't required to play Aselia before Seinarukana, it can give a little more insight into the Metaverse of Spirit of Eternity Sword.

I have the Physical Version, have played the game to completion and can say its Visual Novel and Gameplay elements are very strong. It is really hard to compare it with other games or Visual Novels however it is said that the Utawarerumono Visual Novel has a similar type of gameplay where you lead an Army to conquer Towns and Cities.

With that said we can get into discussing this game.

Important to note about this game is that the Prologue is about 4-6 hours long and the gameplay element doesn't take effect until well into the 1st Chapter. Because of this as well as the overall heavy focus on the story, it is better to think of Aselia as a VN with elements of an RPG in it. So players who are not a fan of heavy dialogue in games will very likely not enjoy this game.

I particularly like the 4 Element System of (Red, Green, Blue, and Black) in this game that the characters use. Each Element has its own advantages and disadvantages to give to the characters that use them. Using them in Squads that make up your Army is also one of the most thrilling parts of the game as you conquer more cities. It can be difficult to understand how the battle system works, but the game has a lot of Tutorials throughout the game in the Form of Esperia giving you advice. Eventually the Battle System will feel trivial and I'm almost certain you'll find it enjoyable.

The way characters Level Up is also interesting in how it is done through trainers rather than having characters gain EXP in traditional RPGs. I'm curious to hear more thoughts about this game from others who have also played it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom