Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Controller (please specify type)
ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
Controller type:
Official Xbox 360 wireless (with official Microsoft dongle).
Problem present since: 1.4.0.4 (at least).

I wondered why I'd stopped playing Terraria several years ago (got medical issues that affect memory)... then soon after starting back up again recently, I was reminded a large part of why. While thankfully a few of the awful controller issues are much better now, this one is not:

Whenever I first open storage (chest, piggy bank, safe, etc), trying to hold my thumbstick in a direction (such as to pick a specific item, or go to the Loot All etc buttons) just plain... stops responding for several seconds! Sometimes it will move a square or two before freezing, other times it just doesn't advance at all before pseudo-locking. When that happens, I can TAP a direction with my thumbstick & move it one square at a time just fine, but holding the direction comes with a forced delay! Eventually it'll work after about 3-4 (infuriating) seconds, then continue to work just fine until the storage is closed.

So I'm forced to either sit there, holding my thumbstick over, exasperated & impatient (often while enemies are closing in), waiting & waiting, until it finally lets my cursor start sliding toward Loot All or grabbing the item(s) I want...
OR
I have to tap! My! Thumb! Stick! One! Square! At! A! Time!

OR, as often happens due to my frustration, I wiggle the stick furiously back & forth & up & down, which maybe 8% of the time seems to snap the system out of it, so it responds to the stick then being held a little early.

While in real-time it's only a few seconds, it's such a needless source of frustration that builds up over time (ESPECIALLY when trying to organize base storage), & just as bad, it can even get people's characters killed. Needless to say, that's especially punishing for Mediumcore characters, & the ULTIMATE punishment for Hardcore.

* This is NOT an issue in the NPC trade menus, nor in the normal inventory. ONLY in chests, safes, portable storage, barrels, top dresser drawer, etc.

It's been going on since at least 1.4.0.4 (I found my previous un-answered report from 2020 to confirm that).

PLEASE Terraria devs... can we who use game controllers have this very, VERY infuriating bug fixed by (or on) 1.4.5? :dryadcry:

(And in case it's argued that too few people use controllers to bother...
Ask yourself, "Could this ((& many other, even worse controller-specific issues that have plagued this game for countless years)) be why?" And aside from personal preference ((already valid)), a great many of us need controllers for accessibility ((myself included)) due to disabilities. It's already a really difficult format for playing this game, plus with the IRL difficulties of living & moving added on. But we bear with it because we love this game. But, this & the other bugs can push it beyond bearability, & have actually driven several people I know who depend on a controller away from the game altogether ((and many others might not realize that some of the problems seem to have been quietly fixed. And the more versions go by without all the major issues being openly resolved, the less likely anyone will be willing/able to use a controller, due to trying it & being quickly repelled, or word-of-mouth all over the internet accumulated all these years)). And it's driving me close to quitting again too, when I really need the comfort of playing Terraria to distract me from my pain & stress. Not worth it if it causes more...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom