Linux Dedicated Server Recommended Hardware

CactiPyramid

Terrarian
I was wondering what the recommended/pragmatic hardware requirements for running a dedicated server are. This would be a small world with 3-4 people at most.

I have previously hosted a terraria server on a VPS, and it worked well. That was a 2GB instance from Linode, which has two CPU cores as well. I couldn't manage to get it to run in 1GB, and that seems to be a lost cause. But the 2GB instance worked well.

Since that time, Linode has changed its offered plans/pricing, and there is now a 2GB/1CPU option that I am using. However, I am trying to troubleshoot performance troubles with the server.
The symptoms are skipping/jumping entities. For example, enemies being hit and appearing on the other side of the player, or reaching the player through autoswing weapons which would normally push them back.

The memory situation seems fine - it sits around 1.4GB usage with players on it (before any players join, it is around 900MB). So it isn't running out of memory, far as I can tell. CPU usage on the single core sits around 50-60% usage. This server is the only thing running on the VPS.

Don't have strict figures on the CPU cores, but for the purpose of the question assume 2GHz Xeons.

Network latency doesn't appear to be the problem. I get ~60ms ping to the host presently, which should be fine.

I would understand the problem if it seemed to be bounded by some hardware, but in this case I cannot figure out what it is. Any ideas?

A single core 2 ghz processor with 512 mb ram overall will certainly be enough. I have an old dell optiplex FX160 with 4 gb of ram running 4 servers at the same time and I have no issues whatsoever

• REQUIRED
    • Processor: 2.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 2.5GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
    • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

• RECOMMENDED
    • Processor: Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    • Video Card: 256mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
    • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

A single core 2 ghz processor with 512 mb ram overall will certainly be enough. I have an old dell optiplex FX160 with 4 gb of ram running 4 servers at the same time and I have no issues whatsoever
These are the reqs for the game, OP was asking for the reqs of a server, not HOST&PLAY but the TerrariaServer.exe

Back
Top Bottom