DPS Meter showing unrealistic values while fighting high-defence enemies (dungeon guardian)

Derivative

Official Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
While doing some testing for a dungeon guardiant% run, I was trying to decide whether or not Minishark was the strongest choice of weapon or if a prehardmode sword would have been better.

As it turns out, DPS meter displays some very strange values for a variet of prehardmode melee items. Items that I tested and found had strange values were the: Muramasa, Blade of Grass, Light's Bane, Volcano (rip fiery greatsword), Tin Hammer, Falcon Blade, Mandible Blade, Candy Cane Sword, Bladed Glove, and the winner being Pearlwood sword clocking in at 155 DPS (point of reference: zenith is around 30)

Edit: Christmas Tree Sword got to 298 331!

This only affects the displayed damage and not the damage actually given.

This was all tested with no armor/accessories (dps meter on shellphone) + no buffs on journey mode so I could grab items and not worry about instantaneous murder. Difficulty set to normal.

Last edited:
The DPS meter has never and probably will never display melee damage correctly; it ignores melee crits and counts the damage before any damage reducing effects an enemy might have.
This is because for melee hits the incoming damage is accumulated when an enemy is about to be hit, while for projectile hits the actual applied damage is accumulated after the hit occurred, which makes it ignore everything for melee.

Last edited:
Thr DPS meter has never and probably will never display melee damage correctly; it ignores melee crits and counts the damage before any damage reducing effects an enemy might have.
This is because for melee hits the incoming damage is accumulated when an enemy is about to be hit, while for projectile hits the actual applied damage is accumulated after the hit occurred, which makes it ignore everything for melee.
womp womp

Back
Top Bottom