PC Having Issues with Multiplayer Rubberbanding

CptReigan

Terrarian
Hey ya'll, so I've had the Terraria itch real bad lately and decided I'd start up a server for myself and a couple other friends.

I use the TerrariaServer executable and have them join via IP, everyone can connect except one friend.

For some reason when she joins she rubberbands to the point where it can take over 5 seconds just to get her character to move a few feet forward and stay that way.

I thought maybe it could have been a distance issue as she lives in Oregon and I live in Ohio, but I had a friend who lives an hour away from her join the server to test things out and they had no problems whatsoever.

I've tried multiple suggestions that I got from the subreddit, from pinging the server to see what the latency was like, to disabling her IPv6 address, to making sure she had .NET 4.5, all to no avail.

Her download and upload speeds are 95 down and 12 up on average so I know that can't be the issue. I'm fresh out of ideas but I really don't wanna give up on her as the playthrough won't be the same without her :/

Any help ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated, and just let me know if you guys need anymore information.

Hey ya'll, so I've had the Terraria itch real bad lately and decided I'd start up a server for myself and a couple other friends.

I use the TerrariaServer executable and have them join via IP, everyone can connect except one friend.

For some reason when she joins she rubberbands to the point where it can take over 5 seconds just to get her character to move a few feet forward and stay that way.

I thought maybe it could have been a distance issue as she lives in Oregon and I live in Ohio, but I had a friend who lives an hour away from her join the server to test things out and they had no problems whatsoever.

I've tried multiple suggestions that I got from the subreddit, from pinging the server to see what the latency was like, to disabling her IPv6 address, to making sure she had .NET 4.5, all to no avail.

Her download and upload speeds are 95 down and 12 up on average so I know that can't be the issue. I'm fresh out of ideas but I really don't wanna give up on her as the playthrough won't be the same without her :/

Any help ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated, and just let me know if you guys need anymore information.

If another user confirms they are not getting this issue, it sounds like its on her end. This can be a firewall issue, or a bad cable wiring, or worst bad Terraria installation with .NET XNA.

If another user confirms they are not getting this issue, it sounds like its on her end. This can be a firewall issue, or a bad cable wiring, or worst bad Terraria installation with .NET XNA.

That's what I was afraid of, I'll have her check her firewall first, if nothing I'll see how the connection fairs with just wireless, at the very least we can try to rule out the ethernet cable she's using to connect from her computer to her router.

If it is a bad install would it be as simple as reinstalling it? Considering you have that ranked as the worst case scenario I'm guessing no D:

Installation of XNA/.NET is always a unusual solution mainly because its fairs with the system stability as well.

Okay so I had her check her firewall, nothing seemed to be wrong there, I had her try Starbound and Minecraft as well to see if there was any kind of rubberbanding just for the heck of it and they ran perfectly, no rubberbanding or any lag whatsoever. After testing those games out and knowing her hardware is fine I'm more confused than ever. If there's a problem with XNA how would I go about finding that out?

I was thinking about this all night and I'm still baffled as to what the issue could be, unlike Robert Stack I am not a fan of unsolved mysteries D:

XNA .NET may need to be re-installed, if you upgraded to Windows 10, you have to reinstall windows, if you are using 7, repair may work, but may still require a complete clean system.

Man we've tried essentially everything and still can't fix it :I it wouldn't be such a big issue if there was also massive desync happening to where she takes damage on my screen from seemingly nothing yet she'll tell me there was a slime on her screen. It's impossible to play :(

We did some more testing today, tried port forwarding on both ends, tried changing the affinity and priority in task manager for both the server and terraria itself and nothing.

We've tried turning off frame skip, turning it to subtle, changing window sizes, turning everything as low as she can manage, checking our firewalls, disabling IPv6, repairing XNA Framework, reinstalling Terraria, verifying cache integrity, running a server through Evolve, Hamachi, and Tunngle, heck I've even had her use traceroute to see if there were any major hangups and still she rubberbands and desyncs horribly.

Normally I'd pursue a problem to the ends of the earth but I'm just about ready to give up and uninstall the game, this is so demoralizing :I

Back
Top Bottom