How do I update my work (map) in Steam Workshop?

ZapdosGuy29

Terrarian
Hello. I am ZapdosGuy29, creator of the SkyTerra map for Terraria. I recently prepared a new update of this map, but I ran into a problem - I do not know how to update the work already posted in Steam. I found the solution in the official guide - I was told to reload the updated world in the Workshop.

I gave my updated world the same name as the current one - it didn't work.
I made the same seed for the updated map - it doesn't work.
I made the same ID for the updated map - it doesn't work. (Like 9901589)
I made the same second ID for the updated map - it doesn't work. (Like 293534a8-7a35-636d-a3a2-a6366c300417)
All IDs changed

No matter what I do, I can't post the updated version as a separate work. Neither the guide on the Internet, nor the answer to this question on this forum - there is nothing. I don't want to post a new version of my map as a separate work - the current version has a developer selection mark, as well as good statistics. I'm at a dead end. Help me!

Link to SkyTerra

I have a theory that determining the authenticity of the world to update or create a new work is determined based on bak files. That is, the management of the worlds is not tied to the player's account in the Steam, but to a unique world file, which can be lost forever by simply deleting the world. A strange technical solution.

More received data: if you upload the world as public, and then upload it as updated, but as private, then the final updated world will remain public

If the world you created in a third-party program was not opened in the game, i.e., bak files were not created for it, and it was uploaded to Steam, then the same method can be used to create the same updated world and successfully update it. My Skyterra v1.4 map was created with bak files that can no longer be restored, which means that it cannot be updated. Great job.

Hey @ZapdosGuy29 , did you ever get this one figured out? I am in the same dilemma - would like to update my steam workshop map whilst preserving the workshop page, stats, etc for it. I tried the update method posted in the official guide as well with no luck, it is creating a new steam workshop entry instead of updating the existing one. I wish steam admin controls gave us an easy 'update' option

UPDATE - I figured it out. The file name of the world had changed, I put a "_Release" on it, once taking that off I was able to re-publish successfully.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom