I can't get a dedicated server to work for the life of me.

Phantomo0

Terrarian
I am trying to set up a dedicated server for my friends and I to play and it just won't work. I can join, but my friend can't. I have tried literally everything I can think of and can find to fix it. I will detail how I set up the server and what I've done to try and fix it. Hopefully a kind soul knows what is wrong.

I start the server by using TerrariaServer.exe, choose my world, have no port forwarding, 4 max players, port 7777 and set my password. From there I can join my own world by starting Terraria, however my friend can't join. It just says Found Server. Waiting doesn't help either, as it's stuck on that screen forever. Whether port forwarding is on or not doesn't effect it, and it shouldn't given that we are both using the same network. I have made sure that port 7777 isn't being used by any other programs on either computer. I have even made an exception for port 7777 to be open in some weird backend setting. I have tried other ports but nothing helps.

Both of us can connect to other servers too, so that isn't the issue. I haven't checked with my other friend on whether he has the same problem since he is away and can't connect to this network right now. I imagine he would have the same problem though since he has the exact same laptop as my other friend. I'm running a desktop if that matters. We both have Windows 10, so that means we have Windows Defender Firewall. The firewall isn't the problem either, since I have turned off the firewalls on both computers and that didn't help. I even made an exception for Terraria in the firewall. Also, changing router settings is out of the question since we are both in a dorm room.

At one point I tried starting a server on my friend's computer to see what would happen and I can't connect to his either. However it's a different error than his. While he can find my server and gets stuck on Found Server, I get stuck on Connecting to xx.xxx.hisipaddress:7777. I don't know computer stuff but it just seems like my computer won't recognize his. He can find my computer, but it won't let him onto the server, and my computer can't find his server.

There's a couple other things I looked at to fix it, but there were so many that I can hardly remember. None of common solutions on forum posts and guides resolved my issue. I hope that someone reading this has a solution since Terraria is such a fun game to play with friends, and having a dedicated server would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Under Win10, shutting off Windows Defender doesn't quite mean what you might think.

When you say you made an exception, did you make the exception for TerrariaServer.exe, or just Terraria.exe?

Back
Top Bottom