I NEED HELP! Bug!

Okay so I played a long time and worked really hard. And then my computer exploded. Basically I forgot to add my charachter to the steam cloud, so when I got onto my old computer and installed terraria there, my charachters where all gone! HOW DO I GET IT BACK PLEASE, I don't want to start all over again. The charachter had my highest damage weapons I found, and accessories that took a lot of playing hours to make. Please help me get him back!

Technically this is not a bug, it's a data loss caused by carelesness. You can try a data recovering program to see if you can get back your saves, or use an inventory editor to get back your items. And as a very important advice, backup your worlds and characters frequently(on an external storage device) to prevent future data loss. I don't think developers can help you much with this situation...

Moved to Technical Support.

I agree, this isn't a bug with the game. If your data is lost or corrupted due to issues with your computer, there's nothing we can do about that. If they replaced the hard disk/ssd of your computer in the repair, your data is on the old disk.

We highly recommend making frequent backups of your data (worlds/players/settings). Even Steam cloud saves aren't true, reliable backups - they are synced copies of the last versions of your data, and if those last versions are corrupted, then what is on the cloud is also corrupted.

Okay so I played a long time and worked really hard. And then my computer exploded. Basically I forgot to add my charachter to the steam cloud, so when I got onto my old computer and installed terraria there, my charachters where all gone! HOW DO I GET IT BACK PLEASE, I don't want to start all over again. The charachter had my highest damage weapons I found, and accessories that took a lot of playing hours to make. Please help me get him back!

The only way to get your characters back is via the computer you played the on. If you had cloud sync on, then Steam was unable to get the data when it crashed/died. They are lost on their network, you can goto Steam folder and look through the userdata to obtain them if you can obtain the harddrive from your system.

The one world that I did save to the cloud was fine. I am aware that I lost my charachters because I didn't cloud them. I was still wondering if there is a way to get them back. My computer that exploded still has all it's important stuff in damaged, but I can't turn on the computer anymore, and I don't know how to remove the part of the computer that has all the data, let alone find a working computer to put it in. :(

The one world that I did save to the cloud was fine. I am aware that I lost my charachters because I didn't cloud them. I was still wondering if there is a way to get them back. My computer that exploded still has all it's important stuff in damaged, but I can't turn on the computer anymore, and I don't know how to remove the part of the computer that has all the data, let alone find a working computer to put it in. :(
Well bud that is fairly simple really. You need to locate the computer's harddrive. Unplug the cable's connected to it, it will be held in place (don't touch the star shaped screws!) Once you remove it you will need to look at connecting it to your working computer. (I have heard that some computers have a spare plug for the harddrive cable. Tho i have never messed around enough to find out for sure. However you should be able to find a cable to connect a harddrive to your usb port.

Edit: You will need either the SATA cable that is plugged into the broken computer's hard drive (if your working has a 2nd SATA port), or a USB to SATA cable (look it up on Amazon or something)
Once connected you will have to find it as a storage device

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom