NPCs & Enemies I think a rework to the Dreadnautilus is necessary.

Do you agree that Dreadnautilus should be nerfed a bit?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

CrimsonCuttle

Skeletron Prime
One of the new enemies added in 1.4 is a boss summoned by fishing during the Blood Moon, the Dreadnautilus.

• Its blood-shooting attack is both random, incredibly dense, and covers a wide area, making it very hard to dodge unless you're super far away, like off-screen far away.
  • When far away, it's difficult to hit because it's both off-screen and moves around wildly and fast.
  • Speaking of fast, it has an attack in which it charges at you with better mobility than the Blood Eel.
  • Its blood squids deal half of the entire health bar in damage, both direct contact and projectile. You don't much have to worry about direct contact, though, because they are always incredibly far away, and you're lucky if their projectiles don't kill you before you reach them.
  • The blood projectiles shot by the squids and the Dreadnautilus itself blend in with the sky way too easily so even if you can dodge, you can't see.
  • Even if you overcome all of this, drop chances are still incredibly low. The weapon is only a 20% chance. All you'll most likely get is chum buckets: a fishing item that drop more easily from crates or regular zombie mermen.
  • -Speaking of the weapon, its damage does about the same as early-hardmode summoner weapons like the Pirate Staff, meaning that this incredibly difficult boss fight is meant to be done around the same time as the Pirate Invasion

I'll admit I don't know the best way to go about fixing this, but ultimately I just don't think the current difficulty of the boss is worth the common reward.

All of the blood moon drops have ridiculously low droprates and are obtained from enemies far tougher than the tier they're meant to supply, I don't understand what they were thinking with this particular aspect. The weapons themselves when you finally get them aren't even competitive compared to other classes that have much easier to obtain and more powerful options.

-cries in Master Mode-

But yeah I haven't really been using a single one of the drops from the Blood Moon event, I was under the impression Blood Thorn might be good but it attacks ridiculously slow for what it sounds/looks like. The only "good" item is the Drippler Crippler which is a nice wave clearer, but that's about it.

-cries in Master Mode-

But yeah I haven't really been using a single one of the drops from the Blood Moon event, I was under the impression Blood Thorn might be good but it attacks ridiculously slow for what it sounds/looks like. The only "good" item is the Drippler Crippler which is a nice wave clearer, but that's about it.
Yeah, as I'm not Melee or Summoner, the only drop from these ridiculously difficult bosses that would interest me is the decorative Blood Moon monolith, which has a drop rate of only 10%. Not too great a reward for someone who has most likely fought the boss several times.

Dreadnautilus fight is pretty easy if prepared. Cover yourself in a small box and you can ignore all its attacks, except spinning (only the first charge will hurt you, ~150 dmg in master mode with full Palladium armor). Use and place HP regen items as possible and let your minon / stormbow / meteor staff hit it.
I agree with Lord Garak that blood moon droprate should be significantly increased.

At first I was less than impressed with the Sanguine Staff, but it grew on me as I used it to get through the Twins, Skeletron Prime, and Plantera with no trouble. As much as I like it, I do think the rigamaroll required to get it to be a bit out of bounds. Fishing? Boring. Fishing during a Blood Moon? Kinda stupid. Killing the Dreadnautilus until it drops? Annoying. Nice summon, but not quite worth the hassle overall. This was done on a Journey mode world with master difficulty.

It is an optional boss which is tough as hell but if you manage to defeat him you might get something that helps you immensely. Like Fishron.
I agree on drop rates though. Give him his own treasure bag.

Yep hes a incredibly hard to dodge and Sanguine Staff is OK not terrible not top tier but its deffinatley not worth the trouble. You'd better off just farming Blade Staff instead. Better AI and DPS and also can be gotten as soon as you enter Hardmode.

Either tune this boss a bit or give it better drop rates and a Treasure bag like Jostabeere said.

I think a nerf is completely fair because Dreadnautilus doesn't count as a boss anyway on a technical level.

It's like the other mini-bosses: Goblin Summoner, Ice Golem, Sand Elemental and Mothron. They don't have boss health bars, and they don't drop trophies or relics. Instead they drop banners after defeating 50, like any regular enemy.

I don't think any of the other mini-bosses have issues with their difficulty not quite matching up to the power of the items they drop.

Back
Top Bottom