Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I've bound slot 1 and 2 to the sidebuttons of my mouse (sidebutton 1 for slot 1 and sidebutton 2 for slot 2), pressing 1 or 2 still switches to their respective inventory slots. Moreover when rebinding slot 3 to key 1 and slot 4 to key 2 something weird happens. Whenever i press 1 to switch to the third slot instead of going directly to the third slot the game switches to the first for a split second and later switches to the third, if the keypress is light enough it will just switch to the first slot, not going to the third.
I don't know why but it seems like the number keys are hardwired to switch to their respective inventory slots whether you have them bound or not and changing them is buggy. It is useful if you bind the slots to the sidebuttons and still want to access them with the number keys but it's really annoying if you want to shift them like I did since the item switching is inconsistent and depends on the length of time you depress the key.
I'm fairly certain the issue isn't caused by my keyboard, it works fine on other games and the numbers I press are correct as of writing this. When i refer to "key 1" and "key 2" they are the regular number keys, not the numpad.

Update: the issue seems to be not with the length of time you press the button down, but pressing the button while you're using something. If i swing, for example, a pickaxe, and before the animation ends i press the 1 key it will "queue up" the slot switching to happen as soon as the swing is over, if i lift the key up before the use animation is complete it switches to the first slot instead of the third one, if I instead keep holding down the button after the animation is over it switches to the first slot for a split second, then to the third. This led me to make the incorrect assumption that the length of time was the sole cause of the bug.

I've had the same issue. I didn't realize holding the key down until the use time of the item ends has it select the slot correctly. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom