PC Load failed. No backup found.

Eja2002

Terrarian
My new 1.4 mainly multiplayer world after getting off at night now does not load most of the time and keeps giving the error "Load failed. No backup found." However, sometimes it does let me in but when it does so, all my npcs are gone and I can't open any chest. Please does somebody have any advice?

This also happened to me today. Loaded the world normally this morning and played for about an hour. I died to a mimic while falling and when I respawned I could not open any chests. All of the chest labels were wrong. (a wooden chest said "Water chest" when moused over for example) When I exited and tried to reload the world I got the error "Load failed, no backup found". This world was saved on Steamcloud. Not sure if any of these details help but, we are 40 odd hours into this world and I would really hate to lose it.

Similar error here. I left, and rejoined to find all of my npcs gone and all of my chests rendered usesess. If anyone can find a fix it would be great because I haven't come up with anything that works yet.

There are few ways to recover worlds on Vanilla terraria, generally you must attempt to avoid file corruption altogether as much as possible.

Here is the only way I know of to recover Vanilla files after corruption:
Vanilla File Locations:
Windows Files: %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria (This is typically found in C:\Documents)
Linux Files: ~/.local/share/Terraria/or $XDG_DATA_HOME/Terraria/
Mac Files: ~/Library/Application support/Terraria
If your world is corrupted, go to the Worlds folder at this location. There will be multiple files, either ending in .wld.bak or just .wld.
I only know how to do this on Windows, though I can assume that other platforms already have this enabled or would have a similar process.
1) Go to the file explorer, doesn't necessarily need to be at the Worlds or Players folders.
2) Select the View option near the top of the window.
3) Locate the Show/hide section under the View option.
4) Check the box next to "File name extensions"
If your world has no files for it, it is likely gone, along with if the files have a surprisingly small amount of storage space (Generally 1-2 KB is bad). However, if you only have the .wld.bak of your world, you can simply make a copy of this file, and delete the .bak portion to recover the .wld file. This will recover your world if the corruption did not harm the backup file (the .wld.bak).

Similar tactic can be used to recover the Player files, if you have the .plr.bak file, but not the .plr file, you can just make a copy of the .plr.bak file of your corrupted player and rename the copy so it no longer has the .bak in the name.

Unfortunately, if the error message is true, and the World does not have a backup file, it is a goner. The only thing you can do is prevent this from happening again.
1) The most common sources of file corruption would be from you force closing the game while the game is saving, you can get around this by always leaving the game through the Save and Exit option.
2) Cloud save is also known to cause file corruption, so you could take your worlds off the cloud to avoid this corruption.
3) Finally, an Antivirus or Firewall on your computer can detect these files unsafe and remove or wipe the files when they attempt to save. You can attempt to allow the terraria folder at the location I posted above through these programs as an exception to hopefully avoid this, or disable them entirely.

Me and my friend started a Master Mode World Together, and we played it for like 2 months, and got to Plantera, then I had to get off, and when I got back on it just wouldn't let me host it, so I tried solo and it said Load Failed. No Backup Found. And I did what you said Meowy Mittens, and both my player and world are gone, any other option, I would hate to lose like 2 months worth of progress. I can still use my character even though it isn't in files, but I can't use my world

There are few ways to recover worlds on Vanilla terraria, generally you must attempt to avoid file corruption altogether as much as possible.

Vanilla File Locations:
Windows Files: %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria (This is typically found in C:\Documents)
If your world is corrupted, go to the Worlds folder at this location. There will be multiple files, either ending in .wld.bak or just .wld.
I only know how to do this on Windows, though I can assume that other platforms already have this enabled or would have a similar process.
1) Go to the file explorer, doesn't necessarily need to be at the Worlds or Players folders.
If your world has no files for it, it is likely gone, along with if the files have a surprisingly small amount of storage space (Generally 1-2 KB is bad). However, if you only have the .wld.bak of your world, you can simply make a copy of this file, and delete the .bak portion to recover the .wld file. This will recover your world if the corruption did not harm the backup file (the .wld.bak).

Similar tactic can be used to recover the Player files, if you have the .plr.bak file, but not the .plr file, you can just make a copy of the .plr.bak file of your corrupted player and rename the copy so it no longer has the .bak in the name.

Unfortunately, if the error message is true, and the World does not have a backup file, it is a goner. The only thing you can do is prevent this from happening again.
1) The most common sources of file corruption would be from you force closing the game while the game is saving, you can get around this by always leaving the game through the Save and Exit option.
2) Cloud save is also known to cause file corruption, so you could take your worlds off the cloud to avoid this corruption.
3) Finally, an Antivirus or Firewall on your computer can detect these files unsafe and remove or wipe the files when they attempt to save. You can attempt to allow the terraria folder at the location I posted above through these programs as an exception to hopefully avoid this, or disable them entirely.
what if i only have the .wld file?

In my worlds file I have a .bad file for the first world then a .bak2 file for my second world. does this mean I cant restore the world and have to restart all my progress? Also is it possible to push something off the cloud save so its not corrupted?

Vanilla File Locations:

What if I have a .wld.bak2 a .wld a .twld.bak and a .twld? It still says no backup found but I don’t know what I should do

I'm having this problem as well I did what you said and it worked but the next time I opened the world it didn't so I used terramap and...
View attachment h.png
That doesn't seem good. Also if it helps at all I had just beaten the last mechanical boss

I just got this message after loading a lot of mods and i just created a world and could not load it for a reason or another.

Vanilla File Locations:

I've come across this problem with the "Load failed! No backup found" world, and when going into my windows files, the world had two files. I've named the world "The_Final_Challenge" so I had "The_Final_Challenge.wld.bad" and "The_Final_Challenge.wld", unless it is useless and the world is a goner, is there anything I can do?

Also, my apologies for replying in this forum around 3 years after this post was made.

I've come across this problem with the "Load failed! No backup found" world, and when going into my windows files, the world had two files. I've named the world "The_Final_Challenge" so I had "The_Final_Challenge.wld.bad" and "The_Final_Challenge.wld", unless it is useless and the world is a goner, is there anything I can do?

Also, my apologies for replying in this forum around 3 years after this post was made.
DISCLAIMER: I do not know if this works I just found that it worked for me I wanted to try to help others, if you need help feel free to send me a friend request at: cd1637627 and reply to this so I know it's you
,These videos may help, you need to watch the file extension one if you don't see the full name of the file like in the first video,(if you do not see BAK files and a BAK2 file idk what to do for you) the BAD file is the devs telling you which file is bad and you should get rid of,if you watched the YouTube videos you will know how to access your worlds, then copy the TWLD file and paste it into the worlds folder, then rename the end of file to TWLD.BAK which if done correctly will change the file type to a BAK file, (this next part may not be neccessary but I did it anyway) Your world will also have WLD files your world will need 2 back ups, if you have a WLD.BAK2 then you would copy and paste it into the worlds folder like before then rename the end of the file to WLD.BAK2 then you would rename the original BAK2 to BAK (I have no clue if this is neccesary but I did it this way)

Back
Top Bottom