Looking for Help to play Terraria again.

tpetrus10

Terrarian
Terraria's been crashing on me for what feels like a couple years now, and no matter what I try, I cannot seem to fix it myself. I've just about given up on trying on my own, so I'm turning to some of you guys for help. This is my latest attempt from my Crash Log:

3/19/2019 10:03:02 AM
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsHelpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CopyData[T](Int32 offsetInBytes, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, Int32 vertexStride, UInt32 options, Boolean isSetting)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.PlatformRenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.End()
at Terraria.UI.UIElement.Draw(SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
at Terraria.UI.UIElement.DrawChildren(SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
at Terraria.GameContent.UI.States.UIWorldSelect.Draw(SpriteBatch spriteBatch)
at Terraria.UI.UserInterface.Draw(SpriteBatch spriteBatch, GameTime time)
at Terraria.Main.DrawMenu(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

I'm not one of those people who can decipher this well enough to figure out what's going on, so if anyone can help me out, I'd be eternally grateful. Thank you.

Last edited:
Are you using any mods or is this vanilla? How much RAM do you have installed?

To check your RAM do the following:
  • Press windows+r.
  • Type "msinfo32"
  • Screenshot the window and upload it somewhere I can view it.

I was using a mod a long time ago. It was the only one I was using, and was one where I could spawn in items using console commands, like you can with Minecraft. I was using it because I had to delete a corrupted character, and didn't feel like starting from scratch. I have since uninstalled the mod, so this should be vanilla.

I honestly think it would be easier if I could share my screen with you, live. Thing is, I have no idea as to how we would do that. If you have any ideas, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

The next thing I need to know is how much RAM you have. Refer to my post above which will tell me how much RAM you have installed on your machine. All I should need is that screenshot from you.

upload_2019-3-21_13-52-20.png

It says 8 GB.

Check to see if the game launches. Does it still crash with the same crash log?

It's slightly different, though not by much from what I can tell.

3/21/2019 4:21:59 PM
System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsHelpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CopyData[T](Int32 offsetInBytes, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, Int32 vertexStride, UInt32 options, Boolean isSetting)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.PlatformRenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.End()
at Terraria.Main.DrawMenu(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

This was the one I got when I attempted it just then.

Alright let's make sure it's not giving us a false positive.

The following WILL purge all your save data so if you any worlds or characters you want to keep, back them up.

Delete \Documents\My Games\Terraria.

Then uninstall the game from steam.

Then uninstall XNA 4.0 Framework. After you finish uninstalling you may reinstall it.

Reinstall the game.

Try launching the game again to see if it crashes with the same error.

You don't delete any of those. To uninstall XNA 4.0 Framework you use the control panel. Specifically the programs and features section.

Oh, I didn't know that.

I'm at the control panel now, and it says I can repair it. Should I try that first? Or do I just uninstall it?

Back
Top Bottom