Game Mechanics Main pillars problems that make them not fun to fight

80riNG

Terrarian
:cool: MAIN PILLARS PROBLEMS (how to fix them) :cool:

Pillars currently present no challenge when you fight them. Players fight them mindlessly without any thought, then dying and repeating this process again. Why? Becouse there is no punishment for dying when fighting them. But here comes an idea. A death limit. When you beat Cultist, 3 white hearts (with black borders) appear on the middle top part of your screen. Those hearts will represent how many lives you have to fight pillars. After each your death, 1 heart will disappear. When your last heart disappears, pillars will instantly despawn (your 3rd death despawn pillars). Pillar enemies should be slightly bigger (like minibosses), their attacks need to be a bit more visible and a bit slower speed (i am talking about Nebula Floater and Storm Diver). Also there should be max 5 pillar enemies on the screen at the same time. Some pillar enemies could be made less exploitable (e.g. Star Cells). After those changes they might be maybe actually fun to fight. Becouse currently it is just a spam fest without any tactics that nobody enjoys. Lastly pillar weapons should only work against Moonlord, pillar monsters and pillars. And when you beat Moonlord, you would be able to craft True pillar weapons near Ancient Manipulator, with use of 1 Luminate bar. Those stronger variants, will be able to deal damage against every enemy in the game.

;) ANCIENT ENCHANTMENT TOKEN (0,25% chance to drop from any pillar enemy) ;)

Enemies from pillars could drop an Ancient Enchantment Token. Description of this item would be "Give it to goblin tinkerer and your next reforge will be special". So basically, if you put this in the goblin inventory, you would be able to reforge 1 item (accessory or weapon), with more powerful reforge than current ones (normal reforges from goblin). For example, for accessories you would be able to get +6 defense or +6% crit chance or +6% damage. For weapons, there will be 1 special reforge for each category. Melee will get reforge better than legendary, ranger better than unreal, mage better than mythical and summoner better than ruthless.

:boulder: 10 SILVER COINS (100% chance to drop from any pillar enemy) :boulder:

All pillars enemies will drop money. It will make killing them a lot more satisfying.
When pillar shield goes down, monsters from this pillar no longer drop money.
Pillars themself will not drop money.

<3 <3 <3 CLASS ACCESSORIES <3 <3 <3

:naughty: SOLAR MONARCH BUCKLER (0,5% chance to drop from any solar enemy) :naughty:
It would give you 4 defense and immunity to knockback. Also it would give you additional 20 defense when not moving.
This accessory also increases your melee weapon size by 50%. Those swords will be insanely huge and very dangerous!

:eek: VORTEX QUEEN RUCKSACK (0,5% chance to drop from any vortex enemy) :eek:
It would make your ranged weapon shot boulder each 5 seconds. It would also decrease your ammo comsumption by 10%.
(Boulder would be an addidional source of damage [1000 dmg] on top of your regular weapon that you would be using)

:p NEBULA PRINCESS PALLIUM (0,5% chance to drop from any nebula enemy) :p
It would give you additional 200 mana points. Other than that it would slightly increase your mana regeneration.
Also all of you magic weapons will have -10% mana usage and +10% crit chance. Godlike stuff!

:passionate: STARDUST KING DIADEM (0,5% chance to drop from any stardust enemy) :passionate:
It would give you +1 more minion and +1 more sentry. Your damage from summons & sentries will be increased by 10%.
This accessory will also give you 5 defense and 5% damage reduction (those 2 effects would only apply when flying)

<3 <3 <3 ALL CLASS ACCESSORIES <3 <3 <3

CELESTIAL VEST (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
It would reduce damage taken by 10%, when player is touching ground.
When player is also not moving, damage reduction increases to 20%.

EYE OF AN ALIEN (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
Each enemy attack has 25% chance to heal you for 25hp.
Each enemy attack has 10% chance to heal you for 50hp (it does not stack with 25hp heal)
Each enemy attack has 1% chance to heal you for 100hp (it does not stack with 25hp heal and 50 hp heal)

MONSTER CLAWS (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
Each of your attacks have 50% chance to slow enemy by 50% for 2 seconds.

INFINITE BOTTLE (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
It would make all timers on your potions run 10x slower.
So your potions will last 10x longer when wearing this accessory.

<3 ALL CLASS WEAPONS <3

ROD OF DEATH (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
Allows you to kill any enemy in 1 click (does not work on bosses and minibosses)
Has 10 seconds cooldown. Dont worry it is not overpowered. Trust me.

DEADLINE (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
This weapon will create straight line from your character to your cursor.
Every enemy that crosses this line will be slowed by 50% for 1 sec.
Also every enemy that crosses this line will take 100 damage.

<3 UNIQUE TOOLS <3

ROTTEN SOUL (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
Allows player to instatly cancel any boss or invasion.
It can be used infinite times. Works for pillars too.
Has the ability to cancel all events also.

LOST ALIEN (0,125% chance to drop from any pillar enemy)
Fastest flying mount in game. Even faster, than fishron mount during rain. Also very agile.
It has only one downside. It cuts your defense points in half when you are on it.​

Last edited:
I don't support this

As you mention people just throw themselves at the pillars but I disagree as when the pillars are gone, you cannot just throw yourself at moonlord

Personally the pillars aren't fun to fight is because there's like 7 threats at any given time meaning I end up just flying up shooting at whatever moves screaming

I feel like instead of that with every pillar you kill the others grow stronger, that way you could kill your class pillar then with your pillar weapon do pumpkin/frost moons to get better weapons for the fourth pillar

Or maybe pillars corrupt blocks around them idk

This is so dumb let people have as much time to prepare for ml as they need instead of being pressed for time since right after they kill cultist
Maybe we should be able to fight mechs at day and night. It would let people to better express themselfs. Currently you cant use some weapons against them. Becouse you would not be able to kill them in time. I always wanted to kill destroyer with copper shortsword. But there is simply no time. (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Maybe we should be able to fight mechs at day and night. It would let people to better express themselfs.
That would remove the threat of them despawning? The threat of dying and them despawning remains but one of your points was "time pressure"

I agree that there should be a way to "lose" against every type of boss or invasion. Have you considered playing on mediumcore? That makes dying near a pillar truly scary.

That would remove the threat of them despawning? The threat of dying and them despawning remains but one of your points was "time pressure"
Maybe make mechs also not despawning when you die. They would linger around after you died and wait for you to come back to arena. They would become ... pillars. Lets do it. Would you enjoy such a fight. Btw this comment is sarcasm...

I agree that there should be a way to "lose" against every type of boss or invasion. Have you considered playing on mediumcore? That makes dying near a pillar truly scary.
I love mediumcore. You need to be strategic about what items you take with you on every adventure. You need to have backup items in your chests all time. You are right, medium core make pillars a LOT more fun and challanging. Only problem is i mostly play hardcore (rarely softcore). But maybe you are right. Maybe medium core is the way to go honestly. Becouse hardcore can be to challanging sometimes.

I think a timer would be too brutal, but you could still introduce pressure by giving the pillars a regenerating shield and/or health. If it has been “X” seconds since you killed a pillar minion and/or harmed the pillar directly, have its shield and/or health start to regenerate, accelerating the longer you leave it alone.

I also like the idea of the remaining pillars growing a little stronger each time you take one down.

I think a timer would be too brutal, but you could still introduce pressure by giving the pillars a regenerating shield and/or health. If it has been “X” seconds since you killed a pillar minion and/or harmed the pillar directly, have its shield and/or health start to regenerate, accelerating the longer you leave it alone.

I also like the idea of the remaining pillars growing a little stronger each time you take one down.
timer lengh can be always adjusted by devs to the point it is not to hard and not to easy. it does not have to be 10 minutes exactly

Currently when you fight bosses, minibosses or events in terraria there is almost always some kind of pressure. Thats what make those fights rewarding to complete. Some bosses have death pressure. If you die boss despawn and you need to refight them from begining. Some bosses have time pressure. If you dont complete boss fight untill night it would despawn, so you need strong enought weapon to do this task. But sadly pillars currently have no pressure at all. That makes players just fight them erratically without thought, then dieing and repeating this process again. Nobody cares about potions. Almost noone cares about getting better weapons from Pumpkin Moon, Frost Moon, Fishron or Empress of Light before fighting Cultist and pillars. Why? Becouse there is no pressure. You can use underpowered weapons and throw yourself at pillars. Someday they will die anyway. Nobody enjoys doing pillars now from what i heard. But here comes the idea. Timer. When you beat Cultist big timer appears somewhere on screen. It creates pressure. You will be given 10 minutes to destroy any pillar. After you destroy 1 pillar, timer resets to 10 minutes again and it does it everytime after killing next pillars until moonlord arrives. If you fail to kill any pillar in time all remaining pillars (including pillar you fight) despawn. When this happens moonlord is not summoned. You will need to kill Cultist again to summon pillars again and kill all of them in time to summon moonlord. If you play to passive, die to much or dont have weapon that deal damage fast enough, you might actually fail to destroy them in time. That gives player incentive to try to get better weapons before doing cultist to prepare for pillars. Pumpkin Moon, Frost Moon, Fishron or Empress will become more tempting to do to get weapons from them. Also pillars can have cool despawn animation. Maybe all aliens from pillar could go towards it and go inside it somehow and then after few seconds pillar would fly into the skies. It would be awesome.

Example of fighting pillars after this change and winning
defeating cultist -> 10 min -> killing stardust pillar with 2 min remaining (timer resets) -> 10 min -> killing nebula pillar with 6 min remaining (timer resets) -> 10 min -> killing vortex pillar with 8 min remaining (timer resets) -> 10 min -> killing solar pillar with 4 min remaining (last pillar) -----> moonlord summoned -----> moonlord killed -----> win

Example of fighting pillars after this change and losing
defeating cultist -> 10 min -> killing stardust pillar with 4 min remaining (timer resets) -> 10 min -> died few times when fighting nebula pillar and time run out -> all pillars despawn -> lose (cultist will respawn as always, near dungeon, after some time to refight him and pillars)
The main thing that makes the pillars bad is the fact that it is just an obstacle to fight moon lord. The enemies do not drop any loot, and it takes way too long to be able to take down a pillar without cheesing it. The amount of enemies needed to kill to get down the pillar should be way less. Another solution would be to give the pillar enemies loot drops, to make the event more rewarding. The enemies could drop weapons or accessories. My pick would be to give the respective lunar enemies a 50% chance to drop their respective lunar fragment. This would make farming the pillars less irritating and give the player a better sense of reward for defeating the enemies. After your first 4 pillars have been slain, any event you do after should remove the shield of the pillars to make the event less repetitive and let you retry moon lord faster.

The main thing that makes the pillars bad is the fact that it is just an obstacle to fight moon lord. The enemies do not drop any loot, and it takes way too long to be able to take down a pillar without cheesing it. The amount of enemies needed to kill to get down the pillar should be way less. Another solution would be to give the pillar enemies loot drops, to make the event more rewarding. The enemies could drop weapons or accessories. My pick would be to give the respective lunar enemies a 50% chance to drop their respective lunar fragment. This would make farming the pillars less irritating and give the player a better sense of reward for defeating the enemies. After your first 4 pillars have been slain, any event you do after should remove the shield of the pillars to make the event less repetitive and let you retry moon lord faster.
This sounds like a really nice solution!

I quite disagree with that last statement, seeing as how the fragments are quite important. I believe that after you beat moon lord once, you would need a celestial sigil to fight him again, having him not spawn after beating the four pillars. I believe we should be given an item to spawn the 4 pillars after we beat all four initially. And one solution i propose to make the pillars seem more threatening would be to reset the enemy counter if you were to die near them.

I quite disagree with that last statement, seeing as how the fragments are quite important. I believe that after you beat moon lord once, you would need a celestial sigil to fight him again, having him not spawn after beating the four pillars. I believe we should be given an item to spawn the 4 pillars after we beat all four initially. And one solution i propose to make the pillars seem more threatening would be to reset the enemy counter if you were to die near them.
This would make refighting the Moon Lord more irritating, though. Another solution would be to make an infinite use Celestial Sigil, crafted with 1 celestial sigil and 5 Luminite bars.

no. pillar enemies should not drop fragments. becouse you create weapons from those fragments. those weapons are insanely powerful. and they should be a reward for a challange. the challange i suggested in this topic. beating pillar in under 10 minutes. and than and only than you should be able to craft pillar weapon. when you earned it.

i feel like stretching the progression between the cultist and pillar would make it better, maybe only a single pillar spawns at a time which includes its own miniboss or an actual boss until you slowly progress through moonlord...

• Love
Reactions: HPR
i feel like stretching the progression between the cultist and pillar would make it better, maybe only a single pillar spawns at a time which includes its own miniboss or an actual boss until you slowly progress through moonlord...
That seems pretty interesting, perhaps using the fragments from one pillar, you can craft a spawn for another of the pillars?

Back
Top Bottom