Game Mechanics Make water not evaporate in the underworld.

sunner

Terrarian
I don't see any reason for water to evaporate in the underworld, other than "yes it makes sense it is hot in the underworld". But it's kinda restrictive, maybe I wanna have a build down there with some water, but I can't because... evaporation. Or maybe I want to flood the underworld on purpose?

Water isn't even commonly found in the underworld, so I don't see the point of this feature. It could probably only happen with player intervention, or if some wacky generation flooded part of the underworld, but that would just make the world more interesting, wouldn't it?
If this change was made you could get obsidian more easily too, if you needed it for some reason or other.

It’s Hell. It’s supposed to be hot. Why would water be able to retain a liquid state? Now, maybe a thickening agent type item that makes water flow slower, though players move through it same as water, and not evaporate. It would be cool.

I feel like the reason may not be tradition or logic. Rather that it would be extremely easy to bring bodies of water to hell in order to turn all surface lava to Obsidian.
This would lead to a few things; such as removing a good portion of hells difficulty, making it slightly easier to mine hellstone, and making bridges to fight the Wall of Flesh obsolete.

While I do enjoy the idea of builds with water existing in hell, I don't feel removing evaporation is the solution. Although, if you asked me for a better solution, I couldn't give you one.

I feel like the reason may not be tradition or logic. Rather that it would be extremely easy to bring bodies of water to hell in order to turn all surface lava to Obsidian.
This would lead to a few things; such as removing a good portion of hells difficulty, making it slightly easier to mine hellstone, and making bridges to fight the Wall of Flesh obsolete.

While I do enjoy the idea of builds with water existing in hell, I don't feel removing evaporation is the solution. Although, if you asked me for a better solution, I couldn't give you one.
Maybe the water would evaporate only when touching lava but won't generate obsidian
This way we get our underworld water as well as keep the ancient Terrarian tradition to drain the entire ocean into the Underworld to have it all evaporate

Maybe the water would evaporate only when touching lava but won't generate obsidian
This way we get our underworld water as well as keep the ancient Terrarian tradition to drain the entire ocean into the Underworld to have it all evaporate
I like this.

I think there's another layer to this. If you get a bunch of water dumped into the nether, it's stuck there. Whether it's by design or a mistake (a mishap while digging a hellevator, for example), it would be very difficult and time consuming to get rid of it if you didn't actually want it to be there.
I do like the concept of making it possible to have water in the nether, I'm just not sure it should be the default.
I think this is a step in the right direction. Do I understand correctly that you're thinking water touching lava would evaporate only in the nether, and that anywhere else would still form obsidian?

I think this is a step in the right direction. Do I understand correctly that you're thinking water touching lava would evaporate only in the nether, and that anywhere else would still form obsidian?
Yes, I'm thinking when water touches lava in the underworld it'll just disappear and won't consume lava

Back
Top Bottom