Mixed armor sets for tanks.

Mark The Devourer

Official Terrarian
Hello! It's me again. Hope you're not tired of seeing me here in the PC help forums talking about defense, but I have everything down to a science! And It's all thanks to you guys and your help.
Accessories, armor, buffs, potions, and things to farm- I got this. However, there is one funny little place in the progression: Post-gollem/pre-moonlord. There are four armor sets that I am thinking of using. They include...
  1. Hallowed mask, beetle shell, Valhalla knights greaves.
  2. Hallowed mask, Valhalla knights breastplate, Valhalla knights greaves.
  3. Hallowed mask, shinobi infiltrator torso, Valhalla knights greaves
  4. Beetle shell armor.
In spot number 4 we have Full beetle shell armor and armor set number 3. Beetle Shell has the set bonus that when you stop taking damage you get a huge DR of 45% which is really nice. But according to the wiki, this works best against powerful infrequent hits. Since I'm going pure tank I want to be able to take many hits; usually in a short amount of time. So I think I will mix armors to get more flat defense rather than the DR bonus.

In comparison, we have the set number 3. It has 74 defense and respectable stats. A very balanced armor set with respectable stats and great defense. The thing is, compared to the next two armor sets, it doesn't seem that powerful for tanking. Don't get me wrong, it's a great load out, and 74 defense is nothing to scoff at, but I believe that the next two armor sets will be more effective for pure tanking. Though it does have the highest summon damage and melee bonus out of all of them, that's something to note if you like that sorta thing.

In second place we have set number 2. This trades in defense for a powerful regeneration ability. That +4 regen per second is really enticing. the wiki itself says that this armor set Maximizes survivability. However, in comparison to my top choice (which means the one I'm most drawn to at the moment as of writing this thread) has 8 extra defense. This armor set only has 72, which is one point of defense less than the beetle shell. Is the life regen really worth it? I'm dying to know!

In first place, we have the armor set that entices me the most, armor set number 1. This gives you respectable melee bonuses while also giving you two points of defense MORE than the solar flare armor (which is beyond stupid to me, but hey, Valhalla Knights Greaves are just really good apparently). It also provides decent stats as well.

Alright. What do you think? Are my armor choices good? Do you prefer one over the other? Or am I completely missing one that I haven't even thought of? I also wanted to mention that this should be my last post here regarding defense. It's just been so much fun discussing this topic that I got really into it. Hell, I made myself a whole plan for my current playthrough! Maybe I'll turn it into a guide once I'm done...

Anyways, kudos fellas! Have a great day.

If I were to pick I'd suggest Hallowed Mask with Valhalla chest and leggings, sure you have less defense but you have so much more offensive capabilities. Especially if you're using minions for the added boost we're talking an added 50% summon damage so goes really well with Stardust Dragon and such. While Valhalla Knight does have less defense it does provide much more survivability and damage over using say Beetle Shell, if you're feeling lazy and don't wanna grind medals Hallowed Mask, Beetle Shell, and Squire Leggings are a pretty easy alternative.

I like set 2 as well. In order for 8 defence to save you more HP than 4 HP/sec regeneration, you need to get hit more often than once every 2 seconds (and that's in master mode, where defence is the most effective), which basically will only occur if you are standing inside of a hitbox (e.g. the plantera baghnakhs strat). While I haven't used that exact setup, I've used the mage version before (spectre mask, valhalla chestplate, dark artist's leggings) on a legendary mode mage run and it was very effective at keeping me alive (though in mage's case there's also the spectre set, but you can't really use that against moon lord).

I like set 2 as well. In order for 8 defence to save you more HP than 4 HP/sec regeneration, you need to get hit more often than once every 2 seconds (and that's in master mode, where defence is the most effective), which basically will only occur if you are standing inside of a hitbox (e.g. the plantera baghnakhs strat). While I haven't used that exact setup, I've used the mage version before (spectre mask, valhalla chestplate, dark artist's leggings) on a legendary mode mage run and it was very effective at keeping me alive (though in mage's case there's also the spectre set, but you can't really use that against moon lord).
Ah! That's a good point. After Golem, I don't see myself face-tanking any more bosses or the solar pillars, so taking the knight's breastplate would be the better pick. Unless I'm crazy enough to try and tank moon lord (which I believe is possible in expert mode, but I don't know about Master mode. Hell, maybe I could try tanking Duke and Empress?! Nah those are probably terrible ideas).
And even then, I can always craft a beetle shell if need be. I nearly forgot the lesson I learned last thread: you are not locked into using one thing, and one thing only. Just like how I realized that I can swap accessories when need be. Like an extra paladin shield and a star veil, for example. Or If I'm not using a mount I can use boots or wings!
If I were to pick I'd suggest Hallowed Mask with Valhalla chest and leggings, sure you have less defense but you have so much more offensive capabilities. Especially if you're using minions for the added boost we're talking an added 50% summon damage so goes really well with Stardust Dragon and such. While Valhalla Knight does have less defense it does provide much more survivability and damage over using say Beetle Shell, if you're feeling lazy and don't wanna grind medals Hallowed Mask, Beetle Shell, and Squire Leggings are a pretty easy alternative.
Oh, I plan on doing plenty of grinding for the old ones. The old ones army is starting to grow on me. You get used to it after some time. Plus I'd like to circle back to that lesson I was talking about. Locking yourself into using one weapon type can be a fun challenge, but can often handicap yourself. By adding some sentries and summons by your side, your power level of any class can be increased greatly.

Ah! That's a good point. After Golem, I don't see myself face-tanking any more bosses or the solar pillars, so taking the knight's breastplate would be the better pick. Unless I'm crazy enough to try and tank moon lord (which I believe is possible in expert mode, but I don't know about Master mode. Hell, maybe I could try tanking Duke and Empress?! Nah those are probably terrible ideas).
And even then, I can always craft a beetle shell if need be. I nearly forgot the lesson I learned last thread: you are not locked into using one thing, and one thing only. Just like how I realized that I can swap accessories when need be. Like an extra paladin shield and a star veil, for example. Or If I'm not using a mount I can use boots or wings!
I can definintely say you can just about facetank every boss on all difficulties, only one I would make an exception of is Legendary Mode Duke/Empress and Duke would be the easier of the 2 there. I have facetanked Moon Lord on Legendary mode however.

I can definintely say you can just about facetank every boss on all difficulties, only one I would make an exception of is Legendary Mode Duke/Empress and Duke would be the easier of the 2 there. I have facetanked Moon Lord on Legendary mode however.
Damn bro, that's awesome! if you're willing, could you tell me more about how you face-tanked these bosses?

This is a build I have used often, you can change some things around for more added damage:

1707312245535.png

You can swap Flesh Knuckles for Star veil and Berserker's Glove/Hero Shield for Celestial Shell. This build is still very tanky with those changes and can easy facetank Moon Lord my go to weapon is Flying Dragon as I believe it is the best melee weapon preML especially if you're facetanking since you can swing with the sword and hit the projectile on the same target the projectile can pierce hitting both hands or a hand and the head easily knocking it down.

I do also have this video for Moon Lord, I usually just stuff 20+ potions in my void bag and buff up when I do testing to save some time but the notable ones are in the description:

This is a build I have used often, you can change some things around for more added damage:

View attachment 457467

You can swap Flesh Knuckles for Star veil and Berserker's Glove/Hero Shield for Celestial Shell. This build is still very tanky with those changes and can easy facetank Moon Lord my go to weapon is Flying Dragon as I believe it is the best melee weapon preML especially if you're facetanking since you can swing with the sword and hit the projectile on the same target the projectile can pierce hitting both hands or a hand and the head easily knocking it down.

I do also have this video for Moon Lord, I usually just stuff 20+ potions in my void bag and buff up when I do testing to save some time but the notable ones are in the description:

woah dude! that's awesome. I haven't even considered using some of the accessories you used in your video and picture there (like the tabi, brain of confusion, worm scarf, and the charm of myths)

This has been extremely helpful and I thank you so much!

Something I do want to mention is that I'm not %100 sure if the flying dragon is the best. The Terra blade might be just as good but I'm not sure; I'll have to look into it.

Something I do want to mention is that I'm not %100 sure if the flying dragon is the best. The Terra blade might be just as good but I'm not sure; I'll have to look into it.
Something I've tested often, I am 100% but I will let other people believe what they like, it is pretty close to be fair

You can check out this spreadsheet showing weapon times tested by a friend of mine Kepples

Something I've tested often, I am 100% but I will let other people believe what they like, it is pretty close to be fair

You can check out this spreadsheet showing weapon times tested by a friend of mine Kepples
again, thanks dude!
... Wow, I'm impressed. I did not expect to see the horseman's blade above the Terra blade blade. A surprise, but a welcome one. I was a bit sad to see that the starlightto be lower than the Terra blade and even the influx waver. I love using that weapon.
Thanks for the spreadsheet! Your friend Kepples did a great job.

Hey, I've run into some problems again. I'm trying to fight the mech bosses and I've had some trouble. I've got the fetid bahgnaks and the banana-rang which I think should be enough for now. I've got a bast statue, some honey, hear lantern, campfires, and materials for potions. I tried fighting Skeletron Prime but it became clear that trying to face tank it wasn't the best idea. When I fought the destroyer I made the stupid mistake of letting myself get hit by It's head.
So I've been thinking, my best bet would be to fight and maybe even grind the destroyer first but instead of using a titanium mask, frost breastplate, and adamantite greaves, mixed set, I'd use full titanium armor and go next to the side of the destroyer instead of being directly on it. That way I could use the bahgnaks to destroy the destroyer while the crystal shards from the armor set add some more damage. Is that a good idea? Because I had a dream where I destroyed the destroyer by using this strategy that night, ha ha!
I'm using an obsidian shield, berserkers gloves, flesh knuckles, star veil, charm of myths, stinger necklace, and a movement accessory such as frost-spark boots, Bundle of horseshoe ballons, or frozen wings. All reforged to warding except for one or two reforged to armored (+3). And of course I can use the mixed armor set that gives me extra defense or full titanium.
Any help? Because I've been dilly-dallying in this pre mech phase for some time now. I feel very underprepared and I don't know if a mere Bannan rang and bagnahks are enough for me (I tried getting the drippler crippler, but I keep failing miserably, and I still have yet to get the dao of pow)
edit: maybe I should try picking up the shield of Cthulhu for the I-frames, and I can use the golf cart for additional I-frames if I'm feeling really insane.

Hey, I've run into some problems again. I'm trying to fight the mech bosses and I've had some trouble. I've got the fetid bahgnaks and the banana-rang which I think should be enough for now. I've got a bast statue, some honey, hear lantern, campfires, and materials for potions. I tried fighting Skeletron Prime but it became clear that trying to face tank it wasn't the best idea. When I fought the destroyer I made the stupid mistake of letting myself get hit by It's head.
Those 2 weapons are good enough for the mechs, fetid being one of the best for facetanking destroyer. Yes, I do not recommend facetanking prime since him and default skeletron are 2 bosses you cannot facetank. For Destroyer it is just a matter of keeping an eye on the head, you can switch your camera for this I usually like to use the transparent one that shows the map over your screen. You can facetank the body I recommend close to 108 defense if you're trying to facetank Destroyer on Master Mode, you can be a couple of digits below but that is the sweet spot imo

I have tested similar setups like full titanium armor and titanium trident

So I've been thinking, my best bet would be to fight and maybe even grind the destroyer first but instead of using a titanium mask, frost breastplate, and adamantite greaves, mixed set, I'd use full titanium armor and go next to the side of the destroyer instead of being directly on it. That way I could use the bahgnaks to destroy the destroyer while the crystal shards from the armor set add some more damage. Is that a good idea? Because I had a dream where I destroyed the destroyer by using this strategy that night, ha ha!
I'm using an obsidian shield, berserkers gloves, flesh knuckles, star veil, charm of myths, stinger necklace, and a movement accessory such as frost-spark boots, Bundle of horseshoe ballons, or frozen wings. All reforged to warding except for one or two reforged to armored (+3). And of course I can use the mixed armor set that gives me extra defense or full titanium.
Any help? Because I've been dilly-dallying in this pre mech phase for some time now. I feel very underprepared and I don't know if a mere Bannan rang and bagnahks are enough for me (I tried getting the drippler crippler, but I keep failing miserably, and I still have yet to get the dao of pow)
What you got going right now accessories wise is fine, I would swap stinger necklace for a warrior emblem since I believe it is way better than the 5 piercing, you can swap obsidian shield for shield of cthulhu and then when you go to facetank you can instead use your hook to prevent knockback instead of the shield since you aren't really moving anyway. Just keep an eye on the head, sometimes i-frames will save you the blow but I wouldn't rely on that happening.

Those 2 weapons are good enough for the mechs, fetid being one of the best for facetanking destroyer. Yes, I do not recommend facetanking prime since him and default skeletron are 2 bosses you cannot facetank. For Destroyer it is just a matter of keeping an eye on the head, you can switch your camera for this I usually like to use the transparent one that shows the map over your screen. You can facetank the body I recommend close to 108 defense if you're trying to facetank Destroyer on Master Mode, you can be a couple of digits below but that is the sweet spot imo

I have tested similar setups like full titanium armor and titanium trident

What you got going right now accessories wise is fine, I would swap stinger necklace for a warrior emblem since I believe it is way better than the 5 piercing, you can swap obsidian shield for shield of cthulhu and then when you go to facetank you can instead use your hook to prevent knockback instead of the shield since you aren't really moving anyway. Just keep an eye on the head, sometimes i-frames will save you the blow but I wouldn't rely on that happening.
thanks again, dude! I totally forgot to mention that I was using the warrior emblem over the stinger necklace, or that I was using it in place of a movement accessory- I can't recall. I'll probably try to get some other weapons like some flails or sentries. Again, thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom