Most efficient seahorse farm?

jimbojones27

Terrarian
I think the golden seahorse is the one of the hardest if not the hardest critter to get in the game. But the spawn conditions were easy to meet and quite a simple farm could be made.

The farm uses a king statue with 3 spawned npcs to boost critter spawn rates.
82C019E3-5F93-4E25-A996-8A96D51D577D.jpeg

Once the npcs are spawned in you float on a teleporter using the witches broom mount and turn on the 10 second timer, made from a 5 second timer and a flip flop thing (idk what it’s called)
85FAAD54-72BB-4DE8-859A-8E112B159BC4.jpeg

Once ten seconds are up you are teleported across the spawn space which should/might have a seahorse in it (they’re really rare as heck). Every 1/4 seconds you are teleported to the next teleporter. Once you’ve gone over that the cycle repeats again and you wait another 10 seconds.

Whilst you are waiting, to make sure this farm works in expert mode and above, the enemies are rapidly despawned using a dummy engine that is hooked up to the same teleporters you teleport across to pick up seahorses. When you are telporting across the spawn area the dummy engine is turned off.

Dolphins and sea turtles are the most problematic thing I encountered as they cannot be picked up with bug nets. They quickly block out seahorse spawns. This is why after every cycle a dart fires across the top of the water killing all sea turtles and most dolphins. Sadly sometimes seahorses also rise to the surface and get killed by the dart but I’m not sure how to get around this. Maybe there is a very specific fill level of water that keeps seahorses safe but kill turtles?

Dolphins swim under water but rise to the surface quite a lot also jumping out of the water. The lava above the spawn area automatically kills any jumping dolphins.

282BF689-90B4-4120-AA2B-63EC63638F62.jpeg

E775CE1B-2780-4914-8F5B-A630C52AA2AB.jpeg

The wiring I feel can be sometimes a bit difficult to follow (Especially looking at it on a mobile screen that can’t take large screenshots) and with so much overlap.

Of course this works best in the jungle biome with water candles battle potions. Not sure if luck effects this but gnome too and torch too.

Doesn’t work during blood moons but is bloodmoon safe if you cover everything with lava and use a lava charm.

I’m pretty sure it’s AFK proof Cus idk what could kill you.

How were the results? so NPC's being around helps with critter spawn rate?
The results aren't that great, seahorses have such a slow spawn rate, you'll probably only get like 2/min or something. Npcs definitely help. If you want the golden seahorse this is still your best bet though

aa
20231109184658_1.jpg

I managed to get 117 the regular seahorse but still not getting the golden one. I buffed my luck all I can with gnome, potion, torch, shimmer coin, lucky ring and stuff. Am I doing something wrong or I just unlucky? Any help would be much appreciated I just need this one and the golden water strider to complete the collection.

aaView attachment 439101
I managed to get 117 the regular seahorse but still not getting the golden one. I buffed my luck all I can with gnome, potion, torch, shimmer coin, lucky ring and stuff. Am I doing something wrong or I just unlucky? Any help would be much appreciated I just need this one and the golden water strider to complete the collection.
How long did you leave it? I also designed this farm a few years ago and it's probably not the best anymore. Either way they are pretty slow to farm.

20231109184546_1.jpg

I just farm them manually like this. The rate is ok as I get 8-10 regular seahorse per battle potion (sometimes with luck potion as well). I start to wonder whether hardmode has anything to do with this as I just recently starting to farm the golden critter because I got nothing else to do. The golden water strider seems impossible to me at this point coz I barely got the regular one spawning.

suggestion to the killing system
use chain to block water from turning into obsidian and pour lava directly above instead of using bubbles and darts like this
1703753669988.png

seagulls and turtles get instantly killed and dolphins die as soon as they try to rise (this is zenith seed so they only die from burning damage, in normal map they should die right after touching lava)

Edit:
I found an even better solution, put lava on the side your player waits, dolphins as well as hostile mobs will strike into lava directly
1703755195076.png

Another edit:
1703757072308.png

The system is designed in a way that only the sand tiles are valid spawning spot and all woods are invalid, since mobs spawn on the bottom of water and critters are on top, they got perfectly separated. In this way the spawning and killing part can be done with no wiring included. (as the hostile mobs are relatively rare, it doesn't really matter if you can remove them instantly, just avoid them killing critters is enough). The catching system can be done with floating actuated teleporters but as i'm not really familiar to the wiring i didn't implement that.

Attachments

• 1703753422936.png
    1703753422936.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 1703756691856.png
    1703756691856.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom