PC [Project] Writing in Neon

Ollo

Terrarian
Hi All,
First time poster here, and hoping to light up your imagination a little.

'Ere we will utilise the default properties of liquids, and their preference to run downhill and to the right, creating

another 7 Segment display (or whatever letters you can cook up).

sVp9OMR.png

sVp9OMR

Manipulating 6 actuated blocks to redirect the flow instantly

n9oWary.png

n9oWary

And strobing (or flashing) some actuators with an engine to animate the display

http://i.imgur.com/Q7XbLV3.gifv

(faster engines enable near seamless flashing)

Lava seems the most visible for testing, although plain water can be manipulated with gemspark blocks (woo green!) and fountains (not as bright).
Fountains are especially interesting, having a dominant and a submissive colour hierarchy -this makes a gradual tone shift possible if one fountain is left on, and the other toggled every few seconds.

Jungle and Hallowed fountains are used in this example, the dominant Hallowed fountain drives the colour shift when toggled.

http://i.imgur.com/yWcDF3m.gifv

Q7XbLV3

This numeral display is partly optimised, although I'm not yet happy with the number 4 (looking like a backwards F) and the 7 looks like some dot matrix printout from the '70s.

Eight is the very number of the devil, requiring alternately strobed actuators, and a blood sacrifice to work correctly.

Currently I'm working on the logic, trying to keep each numeral from 'dropping' actuations, when reset. The Hard toggle switches between the AND gates and the strobing engines seem to do the job of resetting the actuators - even while playing with unintentional lever combinations. These toggles could be switched out for a dart trap and a Teal pressure pad to make a timed display.

With your help I hope to get these control circuits compacted, and the actuators optimised. And if some enterprising bunch were to add a skeleton walker to sequentially animate a 3 word loop on three displays....

'EAt ....At....J0E5'

or make a go of a Scientific calculator like display, enabling wider letters like W and N...

and then hook all that up to a nighttime sensor...

'G00DNIGHT
'

and good luck !

Following will be the reduction from 6 individual switches down to the required combinations used with one switch throw (and strobing switches) to produce letters on this display.

Why this complicated flow based concept? Short answer...I was going for the simple orange glow of a single hot wire Nixie Tube.
Long answer, not everyone likes (B)orange, and this setup needs minimal input to radically change the colour of the glyph (gemspark blocks), and has an option to easily create graduated colour shifts (timed fountains).,

Originally tested by monkeying around with levers on a traditional 7 cavity display, problems arose due to the symmetry of the
1 2
3 4
5 6
layout, and the flow of the liquid. Shifting the actuators slightly higher on one side fixed the left hand bias of most numbers.

method
Start by fiddling with toggles until an agreeable form is reached, thus

1 needs 1,3,4,5,6
2 needs 3,5 and 2( 2 can be strobed)
3 needs 2,6, and #4( strobed)
4 needs 2, and #4 (strobed)
5 needs 1,4,6
6 needs 1,4,6 and #3 (strobed)
7 needs 2,4
8 nEeds AlTerNatings strobes of #3 and #2 with 5 and 6 AnD the NAmes of YUR cheRisHed ChICKens! Ah, a backwards 'b' is close enough...no...that's a 'd'
9 needs 1,4,6 and #2 strobed
0 needs only your love and care, 1,3,4,5,6 and #2 strobed.

Reduce down to the common combinations and wire these to toggles...

[146], [35] and Strobes [#2] [#3] [#4] and a lonesome 6 ('...but 6 is just a logical NOT of all the other actuations!' - NOT going there mate)

Five common lines (and a 6) and 4 colours of wire - pretty good !

so Zero is simply [146]+[35]+[#2]
One is [146]+[35]
Five is [146]
Six is [146]+[#3]
and Eight can go and die in a fire.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, if you have any suggestions regarding a quieter engine (the birds!the biiiirds!),an easy combination for 8, or a link to a better wiring standard I'd be very happy to hear from you.
[Please excuse the spelling. Down under we use 's' instead of 'z', and all our colours are our favourites]

<editing>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom