PC Random Frame Spikes

Hello
When I load the game i get random frame drops sometime during the first 5 minutes of game play making it laggy. I have tried re-installing XNA NET and C++ as well as the game. I have messed around with all of the video settings but nothing changed. I also more than exceed recommended specs. I run Windows 8

Help ME!

Specs

Hardware
Product Name 15-j063cl
Product Number
E3S19UA
Microprocessor 2.4GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
Memory 12GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Memory Max Maximum supported = 16GB
Memory Slots 2 user accessible
Video Graphics Intel HD graphics 4600 with up to 1792MB total graphics memory
Display 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1920x1080)
Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 2x2 802.11ac WLAN

Also all of my graphics drivers are up to date and I re installed c++ xna and net

Last edited by a moderator:
Also all of my graphics drivers are up to date and I re installed c++ xna and net
Please use the "Edit" button next time you post. This way moderators won't have to merge your posts, or warn you to read the rules.

On thread,

I suggest you double check your drivers for your graphics card. Can you show us the framerate you are getting while playing via the F keys?

My drivers are working fine (as far as I can tell) when I get these lag spikes my frame rate drops to about 25 and the game visibly freezes. Next to the frame rate it reads 75% during a spike. What would happen if I deleted and then re installed my graphics driver? Sorry about the multiple posts :(

Last edited:
My drivers are working fine (as far as I can tell) when I get these lag spikes my frame rate drops to about 25 and the game visibly freezes. Next to the frame rate it reads 75% during a spike. What would happen if I deleted and then re installed my graphics driver? Sorry about the multiple posts :(

You can reinstall your graphic driver, but you also need to check your XNA and .NET installations, because if you just keep re installing it will screw up.

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

In order to further assist you, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications.

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies(MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

EDIT:
Never mind it still happens
Tried repairing XNA and that didn't work
Now im going to try disabling .NET framework built in to windows

Last edited:
I am confused as to what is causing this problem
Could it be do to the fact that Terraria does not support Win 8?
Or maybe my computer is running out of resources

I am confused as to what is causing this problem
Could it be do to the fact that Terraria does not support Win 8?
Or maybe my computer is running out of resources

No if you have checked your system requirements you should be able to run terraria, Windows 8 is not the problem, I have tested it on a clean installation (take note clean). That assumption leaves me to believe your installations of xna or .net are corrupted and not installed correctly. Frame drops also can come from faulty drivers or background programs using too much resources.

As counter-intuitive as it may sound, have you tried turning Frame Skip OFF in Terraria's option menu?

Runs great now
The lag is down to a tolerable mild frame drop after I first move when loading the level. So its fixed as far is im concerned. Deleting config.dat helped.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom