Weapons & Equip Redder Ryder: A much more powerful firearm.

TheGuideIsEvil

Terrarian
1 Red Ryder
1 Illegal Gun Parts
15 Hallowed Bars
15 Adamantine/Titanium Bars
15 Hellstone Bars
10 Spectre Bars
30 Souls of Fright/Sight/Might

The Redder Ryder is a Post Plantera ranged weapon that vaguely resembles the original weapon of the Red Ryder, but it's a Hardmode variant. It looks more intimidating, having a longer barrel and all. It's now almost completely red, by the way, and looks more like a long rifle with the other metal bits added.

The Redder Ryder deals a base 15 damage a shot, which is a little less than the original weapon. However, the Redder Ryder has a unique critical effect where it will always deals its damage squared (original damage placed to the power of 2), instead of double damage. This massive shift in damage allows the Redder Ryder weapon to decimate foes quite well, especially with good ammunition and the right modifiers/bonuses. It is quite a good bonus, considering this weapon is Post-Plantera.

Even small ranged damage increases in damage can make this weapon tear opponents apart with its critical effect. This means that a base shot with the Redder Ryder can deal a base damage effect of 225 damage, plus the damage of whatever ammo is used, and along with other bonuses. To accommodate this massive damage shift, the critical chance of the Redder Ryder is a slightly lower 2% as a base.

If you increase your critical chance by a bit, you can do upwards of 3000 DPS at this stage of the game. It also fires faster than the Red Ryder on average. With the right bonuses and critical damage, this weapon is quite potent. Add in the stealth effects of the Vortex armor / Shroomite Armor and what else, and this can go upwards of many thousands in DPS.

As a downside, all special bullets lose special properties when used with the Redder Ryder. Shots are also fired in a slight arc, and resemble giant grey bbs; this makes it have a larger hit box effect. Howdver, given how you cannot spam Chlorophyte Bullets to swarm enemies by homing, this means aiming might be a bit of a tall order sometimes. The final downside is that the critical chance is capped at a max of 8 percent, so higher bonuses don't affect it.

Tooltip: Critical hits square damage, Converts bullets into massive bb balls "I think you'd lose your face with this one".

Last edited:
1 Red Ryder
1 Illegal Gun Parts
15 Hallowed Bars
15 Adamantine/Titanium Bars
15 Hellstone Bars
10 Spectre Bars
30 Souls of Fright/Sight/Might

The Redder Ryder is a Post Plantera ranged weapon that vaguely resembles the original weapon of the Red Ryder, but it's a Hardmode variant. It looks more intimidating, having a longer barrel and all. It's now almost completely red, by the way, and looks more like a long rifle with the other metal bits added.

The Redder Ryder deals a base 35 damage a shot, which is a little more than the original weapon. However, the Redder Ryder has a unique critical effect where it will always deals its damage squared (original damage placed to the power of 3), instead of double damage. This massive shift in damage allows the Redder Ryder weapon to decimate foes quite well, especially with good ammunition and the right modifiers/bonuses. It is quite a good bonus, considering this weapon is Post-Plantera.

Even small ranged damage increases in damage can make this weapon tear opponents apart with its critical effect. This means that a base shot with the Redder Ryder can deal a base damage effect of 1225 damage, plus the damage of whatever ammo is used, and along with other bonuses. To accommodate this massive damage shift, the critical chance of the Redder Ryder is a slightly lower 2% as a base.

If you increase your critical chance by a lot, you can do upwards of 3000 DPS at this stage of the game. It also fires faster than the Red Ryder on average. With the right bonuses and critical damage, this weapon is quite potent. Add in the stealth effects of the Vortex armor / Shroomite Armor and what else, and this can go upwards of many thousands in DPS.

As a downside, all special bullets lose special properties when used with the Redder Ryder. Shots are also fired in a slight arc, and resemble giant grey bbs; this makes it have a larger hit box effect. Howdver, given how you cannot spam Chlorophyte Bullets to swarm enemies by homing, this means aiming might be a bit of a tall order sometimes.

Tooltip: Critical hits square damage, Converts bullets into massive bb balls "I think you'd lose your face with this one".
As this is my last post i would like to say great idea

The recipe for this weapon is all over the place - it uses a bunch of bars and souls from multiple different stages of the game, and no other recipe really does anything like this (save maybe the DCU, but that's an endgame item so it makes sense there), plus 30 of each mech boss soul is way too much. Also, while I'm not opposed to pre-hardmode weapons getting upgrades, you shouldn't make upgrades for weapons that basically no one is going to actually have. If you aren't playing during Christmas getting a red ryder is a slog due to 1/167 drop rate from presents, which themselves are rare drops from an event you can only get one day of per WAVE 15 frost moon clear.

This mechanic is basically impossible to balance unless the base damage was absurdly low, especially considering the ammo damage is included in the square. With venom bullets, the base damage is 50, meaning that a crit does 2500 damage. Plus, unlike every other weapon in the game it scales quadratically instead of linearly with damage increases. With a full damage setup with pre cultist gear (no shroomite stealth btw), I can get the flamethrower (which also has 35 base damage) to 110 base damage. With the 35 from the venom bullets, it becomes 145 base damage. If you ignore defence (which with betsy's curse you basically can), that's 21000 damage on a crit (and I have ~75% crit chance), which I think is far too much.

Last edited:
The recipe for this weapon is all over the place - it uses a bunch of bars and souls from multiple different stages of the game, and no other recipe really does anything like this (save maybe the DCU, but that's an endgame item so it makes sense there), plus 30 of each mech boss soul is way too much. Also, while I'm not opposed to pre-hardmode weapons getting upgrades, you shouldn't make upgrades for weapons that basically no one is going to actually have. If you aren't playing during Christmas getting a red ryder is a slog due to 1/167 drop rate from presents, which themselves are rare drops from an event you can only get one day of per WAVE 15 frost moon clear.

This mechanic is basically impossible to balance unless the base damage was absurdly low, especially considering the ammo damage is included in the square. With venom bullets, the base damage is 50, meaning that a crit does 2500 damage. Plus, unlike every other weapon in the game it scales quadratically instead of linearly with damage increases. With a full damage setup with pre cultist gear (no shroomite stealth btw), I can get the flamethrower (which also has 35 base damage) to 110 base damage. With the 35 from the venom bullets, it becomes 145 base damage. If you ignore defence (which with betsy's curse you basically can), that's 21000 damage on a crit (and I have ~70% crit chance), which I think is far too much.
Oh..uh..didn't consider that lol

I guess it could be base 10 damage.

Last edited:

This mechanic is basically impossible to balance unless the base damage was absurdly low, especially considering the ammo damage is included in the square. With venom bullets, the base damage is 50, meaning that a crit does 2500 damage. Plus, unlike every other weapon in the game it scales quadratically instead of linearly with damage increases. With a full damage setup with pre cultist gear (no shroomite stealth btw), I can get the flamethrower (which also has 35 base damage) to 110 base damage. With the 35 from the venom bullets, it becomes 145 base damage. If you ignore defence (which with betsy's curse you basically can), that's 21000 damage on a crit (and I have ~75% crit chance), which I think is far too much.
I changed the base damage to 15, and I capped the critical chance to only 8 percent. It cannot recieve a bonus to critical strike beyond that.

I don't know how to fix the recipe.

with an extremely low 8% crit chance, I don't think this weapon would ever be worth using compared to the sniper rifle, which can rock a ~60% crit chance with little gear commitment at the point in time where you would get both it and this redder ryder.

and it basically must be bad because if its too good terraria becomes an unfun RNG fest.

with an extremely low 8% crit chance, I don't think this weapon would ever be worth using compared to the sniper rifle, which can rock a ~60% crit chance with little gear commitment at the point in time where you would get both it and this redder ryder.

and it basically must be bad because if its too good terraria becomes an unfun RNG fest.
Oh...consider this suggestion forfeit. XD

It has a cool idea behind it, but yeah balancing this is basically impossible. Also, the Red Ryder is already a pretty rare weapon given its only obtained during ingame Christmas time.
Off the top of my head.. uh..maybe critical strikes will uniquely deal quadruple damage, or double double damage? That way, the base damage and critical chance can be raised.

And I guess this weapon could be remodeled without the Red Ryder.

One guy pointed out fairly that squaring damage would make the weapon scale quadratically instead of linearly, which would be completely alien to the game. This keeps it linear.

This weapon could deal 30 base damage, so on average, it deals 120 damage with critical. Would make sense at this point in the game.

Only thing is I don't know what this weapon would be.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head.. uh..maybe critical strikes will uniquely deal quadruple damage, or double double damage? That way, the base damage and critical chance can be raised.

And I guess this weapon could be remodeled without the Red Ryder.

One guy pointed out fairly that squaring damage would make the weapon scale quadratically instead of linearly, which would be completely alien to the game. This keeps it linear.

This weapon could deal 30 base damage, so on average, it deals 120 damage with critical. Would make sense at this point in the game.

Only thing is I don't know what this weapon would be.
Sniper rifle variant is what this suggestion basically is. Lower base damage but higher crit effect. Of course you'd need to workshop that a lot more. My recommendation would be higher crit power, but slower firing speed and like 2/3rds the damage of the regular sniper rifle with lower crit chance. Meaning you'd need a crit build to make it worth it, but it would reward said crit build more than the regular sniper does.

Sniper rifle variant is what this suggestion basically is. Lower base damage but higher crit effect. Of course you'd need to workshop that a lot more. My recommendation would be higher crit power, but slower firing speed and like 2/3rds the damage of the regular sniper rifle with lower crit chance. Meaning you'd need a crit build to make it worth it, but it would reward said crit build more than the regular sniper does.

Marksman Rifle
-Resembles a shorter form of the sniper rifle, darker in coloration
-Natural scope, less range than the Sniper Rifle, slowly reduces nearby vision as you use it
-125 base damage
-15 percent critical strike chance
-Quadruple critical hit damage
-Dropped as an alternate weapon from Skeleton Snipers in the dungeon

Tooltip: Critical shots deal quadruple damage

Sound good?

Back
Top Bottom