Weapons & Equip Staff² (said as Staff Staff): Joke summon weapon that summons developers.

TheGuideIsEvil

Terrarian
The Staff² (Staff Staff) is a kind of novelty summon weapon that resembles a staff with a staff off on the end of it, so it's a very long "weapon". It is dropped in some developer sets, so it's only in Expert and Master mode.

When used, it spawns a random developer (any of the characters that the developers use). Instead of fighting for you, the developer just shrugs and does nothing. When talked to, they say something like "I'm staying out of this.", or "You're on your own.". They despawn when talked to.

The tool just exists for the sake of comedy.

Tooltip: Summons the higher powers to..fight for you?

Since it deals absolutely no attack damage, nor even a single attack of any form, the Staff² cannot typically ecieve a modifier, unless you actively reforge it. This changes its behavior and the lines they say.

Examples:

Normal: same as above
Ruthless: "You have a face only a mother could slightly tolerate"
Demonic: "Wanna be the new guide?", spinning in circles fast
Mystic/Godly/Mythical: floating in the air and meditating like the Cultist
Inept: "Doy..doy..doy", riding a unicycle

(Credit to terrarianthegoat:
Legendary, "all that work for this? That seems like a waste." It can't be gotten with legendary, you would need to reforge)

When left in the background, Developers do strange things. For example, they could collect up to 3 NPCs and juggle them lol, returning them to the world when they are done. I just like seeing them as weird reality warpers that refuse to help you despite being very powerful.

Other weird things:
-Developers often violate the laws of physics (e.g phasing through blocks, teleporting randomly, appearing in the background, walking on walls or ceilings etc.)
-Developers may speak more, showing a more sociopathic and sadistic personality that mocks the player in lines that slightly lean on the fourth wall (e.g. "Being a hero was harder than you though, huh", or "Breaking the seal..not one of your best moves.)
-They aren't confirmed to be the gods of the universe directly, but it's implied that they are sadistic deities that torment your world for their own amusement, being like a strange overarching antagonist
-Developers don't directly harm the player at all, but just act as some dark comedy
-NPCs show a fearful expression near developers

Last edited:
Normal: same as above
Ruthless: "You have a face only a mother could slightly tolerate"
Demonic: "Wanna be the new guide?", spinning in circles fast
Mystic/Godly/Mythical: floating in the air and meditating like the Cultist
Inept: "Doy..doy..doy", riding a unicycle
???
Legendary, "all that work for this? That seems like a waste." It can't be gotten with legendary, you would need to reforge it

The Staff² (Staff Staff) is a kind of novelty summon weapon that resembles a staff with a staff off on the end of it, so it's a very long "weapon". It is dropped in some developer sets, so it's only in Expert and Master mode.

When used, it spawns a random developer (any of the characters that the developers use). Instead of fighting for you, the developer just shrugs and does nothing. When talked to, they say something like "I'm staying out of this.", or "You're on your own.". They despawn when talked to.

The tool just exists for the sake of comedy.

Tooltip: Summons the higher powers to..fight for you?

Since it deals absolutely no attack damage, nor even a single attack of any form, the Staff² cannot recieve a modifier.
Ha

Updates:

-Developers often violate the laws of physics (e.g phasing through blocks, teleporting randomly, appearing in the background, walking on walls or ceilings etc.)
-Developers may speak more, showing a more sociopathic and sadistic personality that mocks the player in lines that slightly lean on the fourth wall (e.g. "Being a hero was harder than you though, huh", or "Breaking the seal..not one of your best moves.)
-They aren't confirmed to be the gods of the universe directly, but it's implied that they are sadistic deities that torment your world for their own amusement, being like a strange overarching antagonist
-Developers don't directly harm the player at all, but just act as some dark comedy
-NPCs show a fearful expression near developers

Actually this is said as (Staff^2) "Staff Squared"
This them makes me think about Staff Algebra
So if Staff^2 must equal something, then you can simplify to 2 = Log Staff of (something)
This is difficult to parse as we have no actual value assigned to that something. I couldn't decide what to make "something" represent but honestly I think that it would be so cool to make "something" = whatever you would like to assign it to as in a modifier for damage or knockback or mana consumption.

Or if you have the screen act as a Cartesian plane you can have a staff(x) = ... that makes beam like effects in the shape of functions, you just need to craft the base staff operations and use some other ingredient as the transformations or something.
Given we could work out which staff correlates to what equation, you could theoretically plan out your attacks using like Desmos or something.

I love the idea. It sounds like silly fun. Especially the quotes. I can imagine the Broken/Damaged ones walking slightly slower and sounding partially sad rather than entirely mad or sarcastic. Smth like "I was left like this, and it's YOUR fault..."

I love the idea. It sounds like silly fun. Especially the quotes. I can imagine the Broken/Damaged ones walking slightly slower and sounding partially sad rather than entirely mad or sarcastic. Smth like "I was left like this, and it's YOUR fault..."
Good idea. Hehe

I imagine they might sometimes even ride on your back like a piggyback ride.

If you die, they laugh and disappear.

I would imagine some developer quotes are not negative or sadistic and maybe they show some care for you, making them kind of nuanced.

E.g. "You know, you're quite resilient for someone who had all the odds against them. Sorry for everything you experienced."

Although this is really just left up to interpretation, the developers here are kind of just removed from morality, due to them being a lot more powerful than you are, so they lost touch with most feelings of empathy. So they often make fun of you and mess with you.

But they slowly would feel remorse.

Last edited:
How about some very rare / niche occurances like:
-A extremly rare chance for a dev to just
1shot any enemy on screen with a
deathray.
-A chance for a dev to turn into any
summon and stay that way until
desummoned
-If Red is spawned there should be some
pop-up dialouge when close to a
steampunker named whitney. Same goes if
Cenx is spawned and is near a Guide
named Andrew
- If any of the Artists/Musicians are
spawned they should have a chance to
change certain textures/the curent bg
musik

Anyway, this seems silly so i like it

How about some very rare / niche occurances like:
-A extremly rare chance for a dev to just
1shot any enemy on screen with a
deathray.
-A chance for a dev to turn into any
summon and stay that way until
desummoned
-If Red is spawned there should be some
pop-up dialouge when close to a
steampunker named whitney. Same goes if
Cenx is spawned and is near a Guide
named Andrew
- If any of the Artists/Musicians are
spawned they should have a chance to
change certain textures/the curent bg
musik

Anyway, this seems silly so i like it
Cool ideas!

Although to keep them from just being sadistic psychos, they could also keep NPCs completely invincible with a forcefield during events and boss fights. This implies that they do care, at least a bit.

Final update for now:
-A rare idle animation for Redigit is him on a laptop, just typing there (usually when he sits on a chair)

Back
Top Bottom