Starting Server.... (Stuck and never loads)

StallionMan

Terrarian
Hi Guys, I have been reading your forums for a while. I have just started having a problem within the last week or so. I have two PCs with Terraria and my Son and or both my sons often play together. But in the last week or so when we Host and Play to set up a server after selecting the char and world it just sits at the Starting Server... screen and never goes any further. This is a non modded game, we have never loaded any mods previously.

I have googled and there seems to be a few posts about it but I cant see to find anything on a fix.

Thanks

TerrariaError.png

Lets start with verifying the integrity of your steam game cache and repairing .Net. To repair .Net follow the tutorial below. If you have an earlier version of Windows then Windows 10 let me know.

1eyEJ0i.png

If one of those don't work, see if you're still able to launch a dedicated server from your games installation directory. Below is an image what one of two files you can launch that will start a dedicated server using steamworks will look like. You can also start a dedicated direct IP server using TerrariaServer.exe

Launch them and go through the set up process, let me know if it manages to host and if you are able to join it. (You'll connect to a dedicated server using 127.0.0.1, your son will connect to it through a steam invite like normal)

Hi Grumpy Squid! Many thanks for your help!
Ok, I have run the verify of game files. .NET 4.7 and 3.5 were both enabled, so I un-ticked, rebooted, then re-ticked and rebooted again :)

Same issue in game, on the host and play option. It just sits on starting server.
dedicated server running, but unable to connect on 127 or 192 IPV4 address.

TerrariaError2.png

The tried to run two servers on the same PC part is a bit odd. When you close Terraria, and launch the server, does that message appear every time you attempt to host? Is your son or anyone else able to connect to the server when the dedicated server is up?

Did you install any new security or anti-virus software within the last week that you observed the problem?

Another thing we can try is to purge Terraria's game files. You'll want to back up your characters and worlds before deleting any files. To back up your characters and worlds navigate to \Documents\My Games\Terraria and copy the worlds and characters folder to another location on your PC like your desktop.

Then to purge the files, uninstall Terraria. Navigate to \Documents\My Games and delete Terraria's folder. Then reinstall Terraria, from here adjust your startup settings and create a new test character and test world, see if you can host and play or connect to your own server using the test character and world. Whether this is successful or not you can now re-copy your worlds and characters from wherever you placed them and put them back into \Documents\My Games\Terraria.

When you close Terraria, and launch the server, does that message appear every time you attempt to host? Yes, every time. But I have only started to use that launcher option since my in game host and play option stopped working.
Is your son or anyone else able to connect to the server when the dedicated server is up? No, Sons PC is unable to connect. I dont know any one else with Terraria so unable to test.

Did you install any new security or anti-virus software within the last week that you observed the problem? No AV install, have been using BullGuard now for 10 months. No windows security updates as far as I know, but who does know with Win10! Looking at the History it did update 'Quality' (LOL) updates on 10th and 11th.
UpdateHist.png

Another thing we can try is to purge Terraria's game files.

Then to purge the files, uninstall Terraria. I have just done this.

Navigate to \Documents\My Games and delete Terraria's folder. Done

Then reinstall Terraria, from here adjust your startup settings and create a new test character and test world, see if you can host and play or connect to your own server using the test character and world. Test char created and new test world created before putting anything else back.
Host & Play, same issue. Gets stuck on Starting Server...
Dedicated Server. Same message about trying to run two servers.
I m unable to connect via either IP address and Sons PC also unable to connect.

Once again, thank you for all your help! I hope we have some magic to sprinkle on this for the next test! :)

I have also just tried the Host and Play option on Sons PC, same results with it stuck on Starting Server... and same with Dedicated Server, neither PC can connect on any IP.

Also in case its relevant I do have a VM Super Hub 3 with the ports set to forward. I have tried with and without the ports forwarded and also both both and without port forwards with BullGuard disabled. I also tried to disable the router fire wall, but I heard that the hub 3 firewall also handles the routing, not sure how true or accurate that is.

VMHub.png

Any further help is greatly appreciated!

What I find bizarre is you can't connect to your own server using 127.0.0.1 which is the number for a local host, it shouldn't need to go through any routing for you to connect to your server... hmmm... pretty strange. So, let's start with looking at possible reasons why you wouldn't be able to connect to your own server.

You've tried with bullguard disabled, so unless it has active networking rules in place even when it's disabled we can hopefully ignore that as a confliction. All though you're welcome to attempt to uninstall it temporarily and try that way so we know for sure. For now let's assume it isn't this.

I wonder if Windows Firewall was turned on during one of the quality updates. Let's try verifying that Windows Firewall is turned off.

If not, then let's make sure Windows Defender is off, if you have your own personal anti-virus installed it should have automatically turned itself off to avoid conflicting/competing antivirus software. Let's make sure Windows Defender is set to off (you need only do the part of the tutorial that has you use the Windows Defender toggle buttons, ignore anything about group policy and registry edits.) and test to see whether you can join your own server.

If none of that allows you to connect to your own server let's do a test that verifies something. Unplug the Ethernet from the back of your machine so that it loses all internet, now attempt to connect to your own server using 127.0.0.1. If the connection succeeds something about your networking situation is causing the issue. If you are still unable to connect to your own server then something in your own system environment is causing the issue, because the exact same issue occurs on multiple machines we can start by identifying commonalities between the two systems.

Thanks Grumpy Squid. I may have to wait until the weekend when I get a bit more time to play about :) I will confirm once I have tested the above.

Yeah no problem, I'll be there whenever you get around to it. Hopefully all works out, good luck!

i also have the same issue, i hosted a modded terraria server through steam but it just kept saying starting server even does it worked the day before

Having a problem trying to 'host and play'.
Classic world + character, Windows 8.1.
I'm stuck on the 'starting server'. Verified all steps listed so far and previously port-forwarded before many of the new updates. (Also, HI COMMUNITY! Y'ALL AWESOME!)

I Had A very similar problem in Tmod All that I had to do was remove The alchemist Npc Mod and it worked fine after. if this is happening to anyone on Tmod then trace your steps and Disable 1 mod at a time in order of the latest that you installed. I had had the Alchemist npc mod for a little while and suddenly it did this to me, So be careful when adding new mods.

Back
Top Bottom