tModLoader (OUTDATED!!) The Living World Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverOaken

Terrarian
Hello everyone! My name is RiverOaken.
I am the developer and owner of the Living World Mod!
Keep in mind that this forum post is a work-in-progress as well, and that it will be rewritten at some point in time.

The Living World Mod

The Living World Mod is a work-in-progress mod that aims to add much more life to your world by adding new systems
and various content to give the player an entirely new experience. The mod takes quality over quantity very seriously, and as a
result, some features may take time to come out. However, I promise that when they come out, they will be very polished and
fun to discover and spend time with. Currently, the main feature of this mod, are the new villages you can find scattered
across your world

Currently, 4 villages are planned for the mod
Harpy Village
Up in the sky there is a large city inhabited by Harpies. Unlike the regular Harpies, they are curious enough to let the player into the clouds and speak with them.
They live a luxurious carefree life, adorned with Rose Quartz furniture, beautiful bathhouses to clean their feathers, and perches to laze about on. They will sell you many
different items they have collected out and about. However, if you go mercilessly killing Harpies, they will become aggressive and attack you on sight.

Lihzahrd Village
Living in the Jungle, the Lihzahrds have set up a large village. Using Lihzahrd Bricks, they created a large temple in the center of it, where the Lihzahrd Elder resides.
They are not fond of outsiders, however, and will attack you on sight using electrified spears, and Lihzahrd Drones. Despite seeming primitive, they are a very
technologically advanced race. Once you discover a large hive and kill the Queen Bee, they will bow to you, and request that you speak with their Elder. They will barter
items with you afterwards.

Truffle Village
In the deep, damp Glowing Mushroom Caverns, a strange village lies. However, the inhabitants seem to be missing. Or rather, hiding from you! The Truffles are a very shy
race, and are not keen on revealing themselves to you. However, if you find a certain strange mushroom underground, they may be forced to come out of hiding and
speak with you. They barter items with you instead of using standard currency.
Demon Village
The Underworld is filled with many unforgiving vengeful hellbeasts that only wish to violently tear your soul from your body. However, some demons simply want to
harm you… financially! Living inside the Ruined Houses, they will sell items to the player, and even gamble with them. They are normally friendly, but if you start trying to take
their belongings, they won't hesitate to stick you full of Demon Scythes!

Discord Server Link:

At this point, you'll probably get more information by just joining and asking us devs about the mod ^^
At some point later in development, I will update this forum post with everything that has been added
Keep in mind everything listed above is NOT everything that's in the mod, nor everything that's planned.
Thank you for checking out this forum post, as scuffed as it is lol

Current Developers:

RiverOaken [Lead Spriter, Project Leader]
That name seems familiar...

MutantWafflez [Programmer]
Thank you for helping plant the beginning sprouts of this mod and letting it grow big and strong!
Couldn't have done it without ya! :)

Kirtle [Programmer]
Even when things were busy and rough, you were patient and kind, and smashed through all my expectations!
Godspeed my friend.

Terra [Programmer]
lololololol thanks for the code, code monkey ahahaha xd B) hee hoo

Salvati [Composer]
When my motivation fell into the dark depths, you lifted me up and reminded me of the passion and joy I get from modding.
Thank you for being an amazing friend through it all, and thank you for being there for me when I needed it <3

Special Thanks:

Kiraa [Spriter]
Your sprites never disappoint me, seriously. So cleaaaan. Yumby sprites :3

Stryke [Spriter]
The sprites you made for this mod gave me an unbelievable amount of inspiration. Thank you for changing this mod for the better!

RighteousRyan [Programmer]
:rivermortified:

And now: media dump

unknown.png

unknown (1).png

Capture_2020-08-30_21_54_51.png

;)

interesting idea, even knowing code and sprites are pretty basic (for now at least)
good luck on making it better, sure the mod team will do this fast (a lot of spriters and devs, even a musician!)

interesting idea, even knowing code and sprites are pretty basic (for now at least)
good luck on making it better, sure the mod team will do this fast (a lot of spriters and devs, even a musician!)
Thank you for the encouragement, but even if we do have the supposed manpower to get the mod finished quick, that's not what I'm aiming for. Quality over quantity is important to me, and I'm making sure we aren't rushing features to get a release, and instead putting real genuine thought into it. Also, as I said, I haven't showcased everything currently in the mod. I left out the Reputation system, Shrines, and a bunch of other things. I wish I could say the code was basic, but we've had to adapt the entire Town NPC AI just to add all these features to the new Villagers, and it's still so far from finished. However, work is getting done nonetheless. The mod has only been in existence for 5 months, so I can't wait to see what it looks like in 5 more! I promise I'll make it as high quality as possible 👍

Thank you for the encouragement, but even if we do have the supposed manpower to get the mod finished quick, that's not what I'm aiming for. Quality over quantity is important to me, and I'm making sure we aren't rushing features to get a release, and instead putting real genuine thought into it. Also, as I said, I haven't showcased everything currently in the mod. I left out the Reputation system, Shrines, and a bunch of other things. I wish I could say the code was basic, but we've had to adapt the entire Town NPC AI just to add all these features to the new Villagers, and it's still so far from finished. However, work is getting done nonetheless. The mod has only been in existence for 5 months, so I can't wait to see what it looks like in 5 more! I promise I'll make it as high quality as possible 👍
oh! well, good luck on making it. shrines are not hard, basic tiles code like Main.tile[i, j].type, PlaceTile / PlaceObject and etc... but reputation system? I am (a bit) interested.

oh! well, good luck on making it. shrines are not hard, basic tiles code like Main.tile[i, j].type, PlaceTile / PlaceObject and etc... but reputation system? I am (a bit) interested.
The shrine isn't a structure per say. It generates in the village, and when interacted with, opens up a new UI which allows you to gift items to the Harpies. You start at reputation zero, or neutral. As you gift items, the shrine meter goes up. Once it reaches the maximum amount, it gifts you +30 reputation. Your reputation influences many things, such as item price, dialogue, and possibly a few other things as well. Each village will have its own unique reputation value. However, the reputation doesn't just increase. If you do things that upset the village, it will go down. After it reaches a certain point, they will no longer allow you in the village and will attack you on sight. If you do manage to get your reputation this low, there will be ways to salvage it and get it back to a value where you can enter the village and start gifting things to them as usual. Also, I should mention that you can't just gift the same item over and over again. There is a system in place to prevent you from gifting (x) amounts of items each time the shrine resets the meter back to zero. It's a really cool system and our developer, Kirtle, has put a ton of work into making it polished. There is a clip of it working on our Discord server, but I'll add it to this forum post too at some point.

The mod looks really promissing. I do have a small question, on the discord I noticed something that looked like a desert shrine, does that mean that you're adding another village or was it scraped ?

The mod looks really promissing. I do have a small question, on the discord I noticed something that looked like a desert shrine, does that mean that you're adding another village or was it scraped ?
Not sure what you mean by desert shrine. There are plans for a structure in the desert though, but they haven't been quite fleshed out yet, and it's definitely not ready for any kind of reveal yet. I think you may be referring to the Harpy Shrine?

I'm curious: is this mod, at least in the current version, compatible with other mods such as Calamity or Thorium?
We haven't tested it with Calamity or Thorium, but if I had to guess, the Planetoids might mess up the village gen. I can't imagine any compatibility issues with Thorium. Once this mod comes out, if it becomes an issue we will address it with the mod owners. But for now we will do what we can! 👍

Not sure what you mean by desert shrine. There are plans for a structure in the desert though, but they haven't been quite fleshed out yet, and it's definitely not ready for any kind of reveal yet. I think you may be referring to the Harpy Shrine?
1607625150744.png

This is the picture I saw in the development tab on discord, couldn't find anything in the post or the design document so I thought I would ask here.

Ohhhh that. Those are some of the designs for the Waypoints, a new structure that randomly generates in your world. They can be activated by right clicking them, and once they are activated, they can be used to teleport to other Waypoints. The plan is to integrate them into Pylons, but that depends on when tModloader 1.4 releases, which is not likely to be any time soon. If you have any other questions, I'd recommend asking on the Discord. I can respond much quicker if you ask there, and it's just generally more convenient! Thanks 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom