Portfolio/Multi-Topic The Monster Hunter. A guide to the man, his wares, and some resulting changes.

Do you want to see this added?

• Yes. It could need some improving though.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It needs a lot of improving.

• No! The idea is stupid! Get off of the forums!

• Total voters

jrjr3000

Steampunker
The Monster Hunter

The Monster Hunter is an enigmatic guy who loves to hunt the Evil of the world and the Solar Eclipse enemies, but not much else is known.

Found: In the Evil of your world during a Solar Eclipse (thereby hardmode) after all Mechanical Bosses have been killed, above 0, but not in space. He will be fighting enemies with his signature weapon, the Shotgun Pistol (I'll get to that). He will show up even if you don't have a spare house, but will 'depart' like the Travelling Merchant if you don't have the house after the event ends. When housed, he will start to sell things. He defends himself with a Shotgun Pistol, but goes outside and hunts mobs during an Eclipse.

Reason to exist: A merchant and a reward giver (like the Dye Trader).

Sells: Stake Launcher (60 Gold ea., if one does not exist in the world), Stake (10 Copper ea., if a stake launcher does exist in the world), Shotgun Pistol (30 Gold ea.) and both 'Evil' Solutions (40 Silver ea., all the time, even in a world with the opposite Evil, unlike the Steampunker, who sells it for cheaper but only on a Blood Moon or Eclipse AND being specific to the world's Evil).

Rewards: For every 50 of one Solar Eclipse enemy killed (except for Mothron and her spawns), he will gift the player 25 Silver Stakes.

Lines:
Always: "I love eclipses. It gets my heart beating, my adrenaline pumping, and my enemies killed!" and "Why do I sell evil Solutions? I need things to kill, and I do not have two Platinum Coins to spare for the Clentaminator."
If homeless: "Ahaha! Hunting these things is FUN! Unfortunately, since I don't have a house, I'm gonna need to depart after this is over..."
If Cyborg is present: "[Name of Cyborg] has GOT to teach me how he aims perfectly every time! This is gonna be a bloodbath..."
If the Dryad is present: "Man... you got any flowers I can give to [Name of Dryad]? Just wondering..."
If the Arms Dealer is present but the Dryad is not: "Okay. That [Name of Arms Dealer] guy is kinda creepy, even more than me..."
If both the Arms Dealer and the Dryad are present: "Can I kill [Name of Arms Dealer]? No? Fine. If I find him creeping around [Name of Dryad] again, I will lodge three bullets and then three more into his ugly mug." and "If [Name of Arms Dealer] steals [Name of Dryad] from me, I will never forgive him. NEVER."

If the world is in Expert Mode: "Fortune & Glory, Kid."
When the player clicks 'Stakes' when they have completed a milestone: "Ey, you've killed 50 [Whatever enemy was killed 50 times]! Here are some Silver Stakes I made! and "I know wooden Stakes can kill a Vampire in one hit, but I wanted to go overboard just in case..."
When the player clicks 'Stakes' when they have not completed a milestone: "You want some Silver Stakes? Kill 50 enemies during an Eclipse. I'd do it myself, but I want to see your fighting skills in action!"
During a party: "I fashioned my party hat to look like an eclipse! Parties are the one time I am not so brooding and dark. Maybe its the Ale. Maybe its the friends. [If the Dryad is present] Maybe its [Name of Dryad]. [If both Dryad and Arms Dealer are present] Definitely NOT [Name of Arms Dealer]." He carries a mug of ale, and does not have the shade over his eyes.

Names: Vlad, Hunter, Arian, Jones, Ward, Alec, ... (Post in the replies some names I could use. I'd be happy to include them!)

SHOTGUN PISTOL

The Shotgun Pistol is a shotgun-like weapon that fires bullets and musket balls.

Firing Method: It fires one set of three bullets in a 15 degree maximum spread, and then a second three automatically, half a second later, following the same rules as the first. Every bullet will get one spread of three, and it will only fire one set if you only have one bullet.

Damage: 26 damage per bullet, or 156 if all six bullets hit.

SILVER STAKE

The Silver Stake is ammo for the Stake Launcher, but with some added benefits.

Damage: 25/5000 damage per stake, but 5000 if it hits a Vampire. It also inflicts On Fire! for 5 seconds to any Solar Eclipse enemies, for a total of 45 damage with the fire.

CHANGES

The NPCs and PCs have a sprite height change. Just underneath the neck area on an NPC or PC, it is, if resized to 4x, it becomes apparent that there is an extra layer of pixels under the bottom of the head, an error which drives me nuts.

-jrjr3000

P.S.: Terraria Developers, if you are reading this post, thank you for taking the time to read my, frankly, stupid post. I appreciate it. Well, goodbye for now I guess.

Last edited:
I meant thats what it currently is, post 1 mech. Technically it can be done in no mech hardmode though.
I think this should actually be available only after you beat all 3 mech bosses. It would make getting this NPC a challenge, and it would open the opportunity for more than one mech boss to be useful.

I think this should actually be available only after you beat all 3 mech bosses. It would make getting this NPC a challenge, and it would open the opportunity for more than one mech boss to be useful.
True. Also makes the Silver Stakes more effective since you'll be absolutely swarmed.

Back
Top Bottom