tModLoader The Terraria Bee Mod! (BombusApis)

skippzz

Terrarian
icon.png
BombusApis, is a vanilla-like content mod for terraria.
Discord Link
Github Download
Wiki (very WIP)
What does the mod add?
The New class, the Beekeeper, is the class that the mod adds. The Beekeeper class uses a custom resource, called honey.
Honey is the custom resource that the Beekeeper class uses. It was recently changed to have a more streamlined scaling and more balance. Honey is calculated by this equation 0.7 - (Current Honey / 105). This equation makes the honey never go to fast, but also scale better when your honey is lower.
BeeInyGun.pngBeemerang.pngBeemerangBlaster.pngBeenadeLauncher.pngBrainyHoneycomb.pngCartilageCreator.pngChlorophyteHoneycomb.pngGelatinousHoneycomb.pngInfectedHoneycomb.pngMetalPlatedHoneycomb.pngQueenBeeStingerStriker.pngThe Beepeater.pngTheBeeBlade.png
And Many more! All bee weapons have something to do with bees, whether it be shooting a bee, or shootings stingers or both, they all fall back to bees. Furthermore, the mod adds over 15 custom projectiles with unique properties.
BeeArcherHat.pngBeeArcherPants.pngBeeArcherShirt.pngBeeKeepersChestplate.pngBeeKeepersHelmet.pngBeeKeepersLeggings.pngChlorophyteHat.pngHallowedHat.pngHoneyHoarderChestpiece.pngHoneyHoarderHat.pngHoneyHoarderMask.pngHoneyHoarderPantalones.pngSkeletalBeeChestplate.pngSkeletalBeeHelmet.pngSkeletalBeeLeggings.pngWaspChestplate.pngWaspHelmet.pngWaspLeggings.pngThe mod adds 5 armor sets, with 2 new "hats" to add to vanilla armor sets.TheQueensCharge.pngRetinaReleaser.pngJarOfHoney.pngHoneyCombNecklace.pngBeeEmblem.pngHoneyBee.pngThe mod currently only adds 6 accessories, with only 1 being HM. This is only temporary, and more accessories will come soon.
TheTraitorBee_Head.pngThis is the head of the new town NPC, the traitor bee. He sells many bee related items. To see his body, I guess you will just have to play the mod!
The Mod currently adds content to Moon Lord, including a unique drop for every boss except for Duke Fishron. As for right now, major updates for the mod are being put on hold whilst I work on the Calamity Expansion (Pre-Hardmode releasing soon).
Contact me at SkippZz#7440 if you have suggestions or bugs that need to be fixed!
Please just use the official discord server instead of contacting me directly
PS: Most of the content on this page is outdated

Last edited:
Really loving this mod, two things I would want is a way to gain back honey from a pickup or a potion like mana, otherwise im constantly having to switch weapons mid fight and can't just main the class like you can with other classes and also a way to combine the accessories so that I dont have to have all the slots taken up by only bee gear.

Last edited:
Really loving this mod, two things I would want is a way to gain back honey from a pickup or a potion like mana, otherwise im constantly having to switch weapons mid fight and can't just main the class like you can with other classes and also a way to combine the accessories so that I dont have to have all the slots taken up by only bee gear.
Hey! So there is a potion planned (once im finished with the Calamity project im working on most likely) but essentially, I wanted to add a sort of reload mechanic to the class. Keep in mind however, that if you keep your honey over 70ish the "reload" time is about 5 seconds, to compensate for the strong homing and decent dps. I will also consider the latter part of the post in mind, as there are many updates still to come! (also im probably going to rework how honey is gained in the future)

PS - tysm for the support! I really appreciate my first mod getting this much attention

Greetings.
First off, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this mod. You made, to me, the best mod Terraria has ever seen. So much bee content. Why, it makes my Apisian heart jump in joy.
But there do seem to be some inconsistencies. The star bee weapon, the Star Strap, has an upgrade, the Star Swarmer. Well that upgrade uses Titanium but has no Adamantite equivalent. I also cannot craft neither Cursed nor Cyst honeycomb. Their requisite object is simply noted as "Mythril" and yet nothing of the sort can be crafted at Mythril Anvil or, say, a bookcase. ;~;
Other than that a most stellar and beautiful mod. As a Slovene and amateur beekeeper, ever in love with Hymenoptera, I thank you most deeply.

Greetings.
First off, I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this mod. You made, to me, the best mod Terraria has ever seen. So much bee content. Why, it makes my Apisian heart jump in joy.
But there do seem to be some inconsistencies. The star bee weapon, the Star Strap, has an upgrade, the Star Swarmer. Well that upgrade uses Titanium but has no Adamantite equivalent. I also cannot craft neither Cursed nor Cyst honeycomb. Their requisite object is simply noted as "Mythril" and yet nothing of the sort can be crafted at Mythril Anvil or, say, a bookcase. ;~;
Other than that a most stellar and beautiful mod. As a Slovene and amateur beekeeper, ever in love with Hymenoptera, I thank you most deeply.
You need a mythril block

I completed the mod to post ML, with some breaks in-between. This has led me to playing earlier versions of the mod, than the latest versions.

The weapons themselves seem to be made up of a few melee, plenty of ranged, and some magic weapons. This is like a hybrid class of sorts, but focused on a centralized mechanic of bees. I do like how most bosses drop a new weapon, although I don't think Duke Fishron or event bosses do. Much of my playthrough was so-so, barring moments due to the mechanics I'll mention below.

I feel the honey resource greatly harms the class as it is now. Compared to before, the regen is handled much better (no longer super fast at even half honey full), but it's still pretty terrible if you're low on honey. In fact, you're pretty much encouraged to not use honey when low, otherwise, you end up with a really long period for it to fully recover. I played it early game when the recovery time was 40 seconds from empty and I didn't know that honey regen rate was tied to how much you had. This led to much pain and difficulty. You can use it till you're about half so it'll recover a lot faster, but you're still at the mercy of waiting for quite a bit. We're talking long period of downtime without using your weapons, like 10, 15, or even longer. This completely stalls your DPS beyond whatever your bee accessories are dealing for damage.

I think honey would be better if it didn't regen slower the lower it is. I often find myself not even noticing my honey is empty or I try to kill something when low. If there were alternate ways to restore honey, this might not be so bad, but right now, it seems the regen is the only way. Far as I know, there are no permeant upgrades to honey, not that it necessary needs them, but your max honey doesn't get all that much higher from the default 100. Was this meant to be a burst damage class? Thorium's Bard does that and the downtime between waiting for inspiration to refill isn't more than a few seconds at most. Plus you don't have to only use half of it to ensure max regen time, you're meant to go all out till it hits empty. Which isn't to say you must handle honey regen this way, but just me bring up an example.

I know the justification for honey is the DPS and homing, but I don't think either makes up for a very long "reload" period. In fact, past early hardmode, I found the DPS quite low. Could be due to a bunch of smaller bees and iframes not working correctly. I know the patch notes mentioned tweaking with iframes. I did have the accessories equipped related to the class that would spawn more bees. With later hardmode weapons, like before or after Plantera, I would sometimes get Queen Bee spawns. My guess is that projectiles that ignore tiles do not despawn in a timely manner. I would say for any projectiles that ignore collision, should have a short lifespan to avoid issues such as summoning Queen Bees way off screen. It might also help with lag, as anything that spawned a lot of bees would cause quite some frame rate drops for me.

Did the later game weapons get nerfed? I had several buffs including two accessories to increase the class' damage and I still felt quite weak late game. I only ever stopped feeling weak once I got ML's class weapon which is quite strong. It seems minions by this mod will target critters and enemies they cannot hurt instead of ignoring one or both of them. Is end game armor planned? Right now the highest tier armor I was able to get is post Plantera and that's split between more damage with not as much honey or less damage with more honey. I went with more damage over honey. I guess it's an interesting choice that vanilla post Plantera armor sets tend to have.

I almost forgot. I think the reforge prices are way, way too high. Like easily greater than that of vanilla weapons at the same point in progression. The end game weapons cost multiple platinum coins to refoge. If I didn't have a lot from other sources, I wouldn't have bother reforging. Although even getting rid of a bad modifier is super costy.

I was just about to report the issue that Boribee brought up. I'm guessing Mythril is meant to be Mythril Anvil as it would otherwise be quite strange to require a mythril tile as a crafting station.

• Cyst and Cursed honeycomb not being able to be crafted - Fixed ✔️
  • Star Swarmer not being able to be crafted with Adamantite - Fixed✔️
  • The absurd reforge costs were fixed in a past update - ✔️
  • The honey equation has been tweaked, making it go from 0 - 100 in ~16 seconds. The reason that the honey regens slower the lower it is, for one, its supposed to be a similar resource to mana, as without any potions or anything, mana regen takes an absurd amount of time when moving (~30 seconds), however this is nullified once you are in the late game, which im personally not a fan of, so I wanted honey to be a punishing resource, so if you ever completely run out of honey, you will be punished for it. However, due to the fact that you cant increase honey as much as mana for example, it has been reduced to 16 ish seconds for 0-100.
  • As for the late game weapons, are you sure you are using the correct ones on-tier ones? I tested 5 post-plantera weapons(Beenopopper, Bee Blade, Spectral bee tome, Wasp nest, Laser beem), and they all average around 1000-1200 dps, compared to magic's 900-1100 dps (testing against lunatic cultist with armor and accessories) and the Pre-ML weapon got around 3k dps against the cultist. I dont know if something was wrong with my testing but they seem balanced on my end in terms of dps, considering the strong homing capabilities.
  • Oh, and for the I-frames, each bee projectile has a separate i-frame timer, so there shouldn't be any conflictions there. Keep in mind for optimal dps you would want to use a variety of bee's as their damage stacks.
  • Tile-ignoring projectiles survived too long causing problems - Fixed ✔️
  • Everything that adds to all crit bonuses in vanilla now adds to Bee crit as well.
All in all, I REALLY appreciate the criticisms of the mod, as I want to strive to make this mod as best as I can. Furthermore, after I finish BombusApisCalamity, which I am taking much longer to make, because I am holding myself to a much higher standard in terms of polish, spriting, etc, and making sure as best I can that there wont be any major bugs. I will be working on BombusApisBee more, adding more content, polishing old content (my plan is to polish all old content in waves, going from prehardmode, to pre-plantera, to post-moonlord)

• The honey equation has been tweaked, making it go from 0 - 100 in ~16 seconds. The reason that the honey regens slower the lower it is, for one, its supposed to be a similar resource to mana, as without any potions or anything, mana regen takes an absurd amount of time when moving (~30 seconds), however this is nullified once you are in the late game, which im personally not a fan of, so I wanted honey to be a punishing resource, so if you ever completely run out of honey, you will be punished for it. However, due to the fact that you cant increase honey as much as mana for example, it has been reduced to 16 ish seconds for 0-100.
  • As for the late game weapons, are you sure you are using the correct ones on-tier ones? I tested 5 post-plantera weapons(Beenopopper, Bee Blade, Spectral bee tome, Wasp nest, Laser beem), and they all average around 1000-1200 dps, compared to magic's 900-1100 dps (testing against lunatic cultist with armor and accessories) and the Pre-ML weapon got around 3k dps against the cultist. I dont know if something was wrong with my testing but they seem balanced on my end in terms of dps, considering the strong homing capabilities.
  • Oh, and for the I-frames, each bee projectile has a separate i-frame timer, so there shouldn't be any conflictions there. Keep in mind for optimal dps you would want to use a variety of bee's as their damage stacks.
  • Everything that adds to all crit bonuses in vanilla now adds to Bee crit as well.
All in all, I REALLY appreciate the criticisms of the mod, as I want to strive to make this mod as best as I can. Furthermore, after I finish BombusApisCalamity, which I am taking much longer to make, because I am holding myself to a much higher standard in terms of polish, spriting, etc, and making sure as best I can that there wont be any major bugs. I will be working on BombusApisBee more, adding more content, polishing old content (my plan is to polish all old content in waves, going from prehardmode, to pre-plantera, to post-moonlord)
This mod is really kool

Just following up so I didn't post and disappeared. I might do another full playthrough once the mod is more updated. I ran through with Thorium, but I'll do another major mod next time. With the faster honey regen and me knowing how it works, my 2nd playthrough will at least start off much smoother compared how it went before with being almost a nightmare. I'm not sure if I ever gotten the Beenopopper or Laser Beem. Do they drop from events? I know the Bee NPC sells some weapons, but I'm not quite sure of what point in progression specific items are. I could have been using on tier or below tier weapons. So the trick to max DPS is to switch between using the weapons? I kinda did that, but if that's supposed to be the way to get the most out of them, that'll be something I'll do the next playthrough.

Are there any plans for a custom celestial fragment? Not that the class needs one, just wondering. I figure the endgame content isn't quite done yet. Any plans to add hats to the other hardmode ores aside from Hallowed and Chlorophyte? I think it's odd the other hats are missing, although 1.4 has just the Hallowed summoner helmet and not the others which I also find strange.

Just following up so I didn't post and disappeared. I might do another full playthrough once the mod is more updated. I ran through with Thorium, but I'll do another major mod next time. With the faster honey regen and me knowing how it works, my 2nd playthrough will at least start off much smoother compared how it went before with being almost a nightmare. I'm not sure if I ever gotten the Beenopopper or Laser Beem. Do they drop from events? I know the Bee NPC sells some weapons, but I'm not quite sure of what point in progression specific items are. I could have been using on tier or below tier weapons. So the trick to max DPS is to switch between using the weapons? I kinda did that, but if that's supposed to be the way to get the most out of them, that'll be something I'll do the next playthrough.

Are there any plans for a custom celestial fragment? Not that the class needs one, just wondering. I figure the endgame content isn't quite done yet. Any plans to add hats to the other hardmode ores aside from Hallowed and Chlorophyte? I think it's odd the other hats are missing, although 1.4 has just the Hallowed summoner helmet and not the others which I also find strange.
- After I release the update for BombusApisCalamity, I will add more endgame content, aka armor and stuff made from luminite, the Beenopopper and laser beem both drop from the martian saucer NPC, and the town npc mainly sells pre-mech items. Helmets for the hardmode ores may take a bit more time, because vanilla code doesnt make it that easy to implement. If you are a fan of calamity (which i assume you are from the pfp) there will be so, so, so much content in the update releasing... relatively soon (no eta yet really). But, after I am finished with bombusapiscalamity, I have so many ideas for the original bombus apis mod, so stay tuned for that

I have a little problem with the mod. When i load it up i get a second honey bar underneath my character that when i hover over it with the mouse, stops my attacks. Its really annoying and i wanted to ask if thats a bug

Attachments

• 20220331002554_12.jpg
    20220331002554_12.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 267
Being fixed ASAP, wont stop attacks, will be less buggy, will have configs for being either below or above the character, or gone entirely. Thank you very much for the patience!

Okay, so new update, that makes it so the Honey UI no longer stops attacks, can be configured on and off, and has adjustable offsets. The full patch notes can be found on the update release notes for 1.5.3 (in the mod description).

Hey so ive been playing the 1.3 version of the mod, and ive been having troubles due to the wiki not being fully developed, and now also i cant get any of the reforges from the mod from the goblin tinkerer

Back
Top Bottom