PC Were the Liquid Farms Patched?

Kats

Pixel Pirate
Heyo!
So, got back to the game on Journey's End release and made a world, a Large Master world named "The End". It is most likely going to be the last world (with exception of resource worlds lol) I make in this game, and so I wanted to make it something special~
The idea is that I'm to collect every single item that is in the game, mostly in this one world only, though with exceptions like Crimson, as I have a Corruption world (best :p), and Bone Key will of course have to be on new world, I'm no Yrimir. :p
But more importantly, being the point of this thread, I want to dig out the entire world, leaving any special biomes (e.g. Spider and Dungeon) and absolutely cram it full with every farm and arena that I can think of, at ridiculous sizes.

And here's the point of this thread, I tried to build a nice liquid farm and after spending a while on building and experimenting, I realized it doesn't appear to work anymore.... so, was it patched? I haven't played since the release of 1.3.
Was it one of them unintentional fixes? Or if it was intentional then... why?

Building farms like this is fun, thinking up designs for them even more so.
Far more fun than creating a resource world and zooming through it at breakneck speed, no challenge, no thinking, just sit and move mouse and press a directional button. :p
While in the case of Water and Lava we have the endless buckets, but honey is another story, and even though there are those buckets, I still built the farms for them, because fun.
I am fine with resource worlds, I have quite a few of them for various things, but if its possible to create a farm for something, I much rather do that, as its far more fun.

I love Oxygen not Included for the same reason, and while that game is obviously entirely created around the idea of creating things like farms and various other neat contraptions, this game does have some cool little mechanics that allow for creating things like it, though of course just simpler.
(Oxygen not Included mod for Terraria plz? lmao)

And also, it is still possible to duplicate all liquids with a single bucket. :p
But I have the same opinion about this method as I do with resource worlds, in that its boring.

Well, I love this game, and will still continue with my little world and leave the liquid farm as a reminder of a once cool farm in any case. :p

Last edited:
Liquid farms still function but now require a lot of experimentation. The best analysis of this I heard, if it's correct, was here: Was liquid duplication via pump circulation patched with 1.4?

The simple explanation is that your liquid duplication via pumps will now vary and can result in the tank draining, fluctuating around a neutral level, or filling. In any of these cases, it is a very, very slow process. I usually mark the water line with torches and see if more space is created or if the torch gets removed. It's nice to have another torch a few more blocks to ensure the first torch removal wasn't just due to neutral fluctuation. You can add variable to your tank/pump system to try and get it to fill by changing timer intervals and adding "cascaders"(blocks the liquid will fall onto and split on the way down to the surface).

Note that liquids are also now handled differently if you're on a server vs playing local single player, so you can change your pump results also by swapping to host mode or local.

It should be noted that while fluid generators no longer function other alternative methods of generating fluids have been added in particular wet/dry/lava/honey bombs(sold by the demolitionist as long as you have one of a given type i your inventory and the others can be crafted by hand at their respective fluid) and rockets respectively allow you to spawn fluids where you want them and there is now a bottomless lava bucket in addition to the bottomless water bucket though sadly as far as I know no honey analog exists.... Ultimately liquid generation is now more expensive but requires less set up. It does take a bit further in progression to unlock this ability as the liquid bombs require lava fishing which is now doable prehardmode but only using bait critters caught in hell (Hell Butterflies, Lava Flies and Magma Snails respectively) These require an upgraded bug net either the one crafted from a normal bug net and hellstone bars or the rare golden bug catching net from the angler but at least it is prehardmode.

Liquid farms still function but now require a lot of experimentation. The best analysis of this I heard, if it's correct, was here: Was liquid duplication via pump circulation patched with 1.4?

The simple explanation is that your liquid duplication via pumps will now vary and can result in the tank draining, fluctuating around a neutral level, or filling. In any of these cases, it is a very, very slow process. I usually mark the water line with torches and see if more space is created or if the torch gets removed. It's nice to have another torch a few more blocks to ensure the first torch removal wasn't just due to neutral fluctuation. You can add variable to your tank/pump system to try and get it to fill by changing timer intervals and adding "cascaders"(blocks the liquid will fall onto and split on the way down to the surface).

Note that liquids are also now handled differently if you're on a server vs playing local single player, so you can change your pump results also by swapping to host mode or local.

Ahh, thank you!
I did indeed experiment for a while and, most of the ones I built would eventually drain after varying amounts of time. One took 30 minutes of constant running before it drained (with the same amount of water).
But if it indeed is still possible then I will simply experiment more, as that's what's fun. :p

Back
Top Bottom