Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Ranged

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Mage

• Summoner

• Total voters
I'll try to detail what I can without making a large wall of text. Bear in mind that my personal rating are of my opinion. Others may provide different answers as every player is quite different.

Ranged and melee are probably the easiest to get started on, since you can easily acquire the necessary materials to craft the necessary weapons. You will be consistently able to upgrade to the next best thing in most cases with either of these, and with melee weapons, they start to allow for more ranged combat as you progress into hardmode.

Magic weapons will require exploring for or -- in the case of staves -- finding additional materials, as well as acquiring fallen stars at night so you can cap out your mana. Being a mage does start to get easier after you've killed a couple bosses and acquired gear to increase your magic damage and/or max mana even further.

Summoner is probably the hardest to get started. You will either have to find a Finch Staff or Slime Staff right away, and even then, you'll need to get Bee Armor for it to be more practical. Summon weapons are still handy regardless though, and are kinda meant to be used along with other weapons, especially pre-hardmode.

As far as the fun level, I'd more break it down into pre-hardmode and hardmode.

For melee, it starts around a 6.5/10, but climbs to about an 8.7/10 for fun when you're in hardmode.
This is because weapons aren't really all that unique when starting out, since you're more likely to keep crafting swords. There is some variety though as you find things like maces and spear-type weapons. And others do start to get more interesting as you progress through, like the Beekeeper. In hardmode is when the weapons really become more diverse. This class also provides a better armor rating, so your character can take more hits.

For ranged, it starts probably at a 7.2/10 and then gets to about 8.5/10.
Ranged weapons start with bows, and you can easily acquire a gun in your world's evil biome, but the fun factor mostly comes with the ammo you use. Guns ammo is very bland until you get into hardmode, but the Minishark will prove useful if you choose the gun route. Apart from damage, bows (mostly) gain more use based on what type of arrow you use, and the arrow diversity is there pretty much from the start, since you'll find different types of arrows regularly in chests and pots. In hardmode, guns and bows themselves start to diversify a bit, but not as much as with melee weapons. New types of ammo do become available though. Eventually, you'll come across rocket-type weapons as well. Armor rating is a bit lower than melee, but is still good enough for survival, especially since you're fighting enemies from a distance.

For magic, I'd say it starts at about 7/10 and goes up to 9.1/10.
With magic you'll find interesting types of spells along the way. There are some common bolt-type spells found in the basic staves, but beyond that, they diversify quite a bit, even going through pre-hardmode. What really holds magic to a 7/10 for me starting out is that it does take some time to really get started, unlike melee and ranged. But once you do, it becomes valuable, especially in early exploration since bolt spells emit light. In hardmode, you'll find all sorts of interesting and even some wacky spells to keep you entertained. Just mind your mana when firing certain ones, and bear in mind your armor rating will be lower than ranged and melee armor.

Summon weapons start as a dismal 4/10, but go to around 8.2/10 in terms of fun.
The issue with summon weapons is that they are very few and far between pre-hardmode, and it takes until you beat the Queen Bee a couple times before you can craft armor to increase your max number of minions. If you go with summons, you will almost always be using another type of weapon along with them, especially with bosses. As you progress, you won't have to worry about killing most mobs so much, as your minions will be able to kill them for you at some point, but you'll still need to use another weapon with your minions when fighting bosses. In hardmode, progression comes a bit easier, and the number of minions does start to diversify. Not quite as much as other weapon types, but enough to provide some consistency. Armor rating for summoner is the lowest, so always try to keep your distance from enemies.

Last edited:
I'll try to detail what I can without making a large wall of text. Bear in mind that my personal rating are of my opinion. Others may provide different answers as every player is quite different.

Ranged and melee are probably the easiest to get started on, since you can easily acquire the necessary materials to craft the necessary weapons. You will be consistently able to upgrade to the next best thing in most cases with either of these, and with melee weapons, they start to allow for more ranged combat as you progress into hardmode.

Magic weapons will require exploring for or -- in the case of staves -- finding additional materials, as well as acquiring fallen stars at night so you can cap out your mana. Being a mage does start to get easier after you've killed a couple bosses and acquired gear to increase your magic damage and/or max mana even further.

Summoner is probably the hardest to get started. You will either have to find a Finch Staff or Slime Staff right away, and even then, you'll need to get Bee Armor for it to be more practical. Summon weapons are still handy regardless though, and are kinda meant to be used along with other weapons, especially pre-hardmode.

As far as the fun level, I'd more break it down into pre-hardmode and hardmode.

For melee, it starts around a 6.5/10, but climbs to about an 8.7/10 for fun when you're in hardmode.
This is because weapons aren't really all that unique when starting out. Some do start to get more interesting as you progress though, like the Beekeeper. In hardmode is when the weapons really become for diverse. This class also provides a better armor rating, so your character can take more hits.

For ranged, it starts probably at a 7.2/10 and then gets to about 8.4/10.
Ranged weapons start out a little more diverse since you have guns and bows, but the fun mostly comes with the ammo you use. Guns ammo is very bland until you get into hardmode, but the Minishark will prove useful if you choose the gun route. Apart from damage, bows (mostly) gain more use based on what type of arrow you use, and the arrow diversity is there pretty much from the start, since you'll find different types of arrows regularly in chests and pots. In hardmode, guns and bows themselves start to diversify a bit, but not as much as with melee weapons. New types of ammo do become available though. Armor rating is a bit lower than melee, but is still good enough for survival, especially since you're fighting enemies from a distance.

For magic, I'd say it starts at about 7/10 and goes up to 9.1/10.
With magic you'll find interesting types of spells along the way. There are some common bolt-type spells found in the basic staves, but beyond that, they diversify quite a bit, even going through pre-hardmode. What really holds magic to a 7/10 for me starting out is that it does take some time to really get started, unlike melee and ranged. But once you do, if becomes valuable, especially in early exploration since bolt spells emit light. In hardmode, you'll find all sorts of interesting and even some wacky spells to keep you entertained. Just mind your mana when firing certain ones, and bear in mind your armor rating will be lower than ranged and melee armor.

Summon weapons start as a dismal 4/10, but go to around 8.2/10 in terms of fun.
The issue with summon weapons is that they are very few and far between pre-hardmode, and it takes until you beat the Queen Bee a couple times before you can craft armor to increase your max number of minions. If you go with summons, you will almost always be using another type of weapon alojng with them, especially with bosses. As you progress, you won't have to worry about killing most mobs so much, as your minions will be able to kill them for you at some point, but you'll still need to use another weapon with your minions when fighting bosses. In hardmode, progression comes a bit easier, and the number of minions does start to diversify. Not quite as much as other weapon types, but enough to provide some consistency. Armor rating for summoner is the lowest, so always try to keep your distance from enemies.
thanks for info

Back
Top Bottom