PC Xbox Elite Controller doesn't work properly

AquaticChaos

Terrarian
Before anyone asks, I ordered this USED last week. The controller seems to work fine on the Xbox One, but as soon as I plug it into my PC and play any Steam game- sometimes just have the desktop open- the issue comes in.

For some odd reason, the controller inputs and keyboard/mouse inputs are clashing so much that if I were to stop moving on the controller it would immediately jump back to computer controls. Heck, the controller support built into Terraria barely shows up- and if it does, only for a split second!

Are there any fixes for this that is possible? And if it helps I have a Dell Inspiron Gaming Laptop running Windows 10.

That's peculiar, when you say that it say that it switches back to keyboard controls what do you mean?

The way that it should perform is that while a controller is plugged in you can use controller inputs AND keyboard inputs and switch back and forth as needed. If the last input is a key stroke it will show a cursor and the controls in the bottom left will disappear since it is showing the keyboard UI. However, as soon as you touch an input on the controller again it will immediately switch back to controller, execute the input, and show the controls in the bottom left again as it is now showing the controller UI.

Is this not what you are experiencing?

If it isn't may I ask what USB ports you have tried? Try some on the front, and then some on the back of the Mobo. If that doesn't work, I will need to know, are you using Big Picture Mode?

Typically what happens is that- unless I hold the A button (Bottom of four buttons) on my controller- it'll function as if I'm using a keyboard and mouse- the right stick being the mouse- despite using a controller. This laptop has to be the reason why, considering previous computers didn't have this problem ONCE. And no, I never use Big Picture unless it involves a controller

As for the ports, there's two on the right- what I've used- and one on the left. Even though I'm not sure what you mean by 'Mobo,' I will edit this comment with what happens when I use the USB on the left.

EDIT: Ok so there was no difference, though I should add that if I move the left stick it'll also register in controller mode, but as soon as I let go it stops. Not only that, but the right stick will only act like the mouse while in a game- only tested with Terraria.

EDIT 2: After testing the controller all day, I've come up with a theory. It's likely the Steam configuration support is overwriting and messing with Terraria's in-game config. I'll check it tomorrow morning and create a new post/edit for the update.

Last edited:
Yeah I was about to suggest that, if your turn off Steams Xbox Configuration Support Terraria's in game controller support should kick in.

Yeah it works completely now. What I did was open the Library in Big Picture, went to Terraria's Controller Options under 'Manage Game,' and Forced Off the Steam Config Support. After that, it works like it used to on previous computers.

Back
Top Bottom