Casual Yo i have the choice to get invisalign or braces what should i choose

Braces or Invisalign

• Total voters

OrenPlayz

Official Terrarian
Basically i went to my orthodonist today to talk about my crooked teeth, and apparently my bottom jaw isn't in the right place either, it's too far back, i always thought this was normal and you could choose to set your jaw in front or have it be behind your top jaw but apparently it's not normal lmao. like rn my bottom jaw is behind my top jaw. but yeah basically he was talking about pros and cons about both of them and said it's up to me and my parents, my parents are saying i can choose but i really don't know what to do. invisalign seems way better with eating and stuff but they're not gonna do as good as a job as braces would. however braces i'm limited with food options but they'll do better at straightening the teeth and jaw. he said it'll be like an A- job compared to an A+ job with braces being A+. so yeah. vote on the poll

TLDR:
Braces = less food but teeth and weird jaw look better
Invisalign = more food but teeth and weird jaw look a bit worse then they could be.

I got braces about a year ago, and I have heard that Invisalign hurts your teeth & jaw.
HOWEVER, This advice came from people who used Invisalign but not regular braces.
I got regular, and they also hurt every once in a while. Mainly the days of tightenings. (When they put in a tighter wire)
So I’d say that the pain is probably equal. But I don’t think anyone’s ever used BOTH, so I may be wrong.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I had braces as a kid, and at 29 I'm doing invisalign. In case you're still around and undecided, or someone else is viewing this, here are my thoughts.

- Braces hurt a lot every time they tighten them / adjust the wires. That wire is trying to pull your teeth into a very different position "all at once", in a sense. It's trying to go from 0 to 40. The pain for invisalign is more manageable - you might only get a day or two of soreness with each new tray (every 7 to 21 days, depending on the ortho's instructions). The trays are more gradual with their adjustments. It's like going from 0 to 10 with one try, then 10 to 20 with the next tray, and so on.

- Braces are more predictable than Invisalign. With Invisalign, you will likely get attachments on your teeth (little enamel-coloured buttons) which help the Invisalign trays grip onto your teeth, and rotate or angle them differently. These attachments can stop fitting into the Invisalign trays, which results in your teeth not "tracking" anymore, so you need to get re-scanned to correct the problem. This is apparently most common with the canines (eye teeth). Both of my canines stopped tracking at different points in my treatment.

- Both braces and invisalign cannot correct major jaw alignment issues. They only correct teeth, albeit the jaw can shift a little bit and get a small amount of over/underbite correction. This kind of small correction is usually better achieved with braces, hence your ortho's statement that your jaw won't look as improved with Invisalign compared to braces. In either case, if you have a very high degree of over/under bite (it sounds like you have an underbite?), you may need jaw surgery (maxillofacial surgery). But if your ortho hasn't mentioned this option, I'd imagine you're probably in the clear.

- If you have TMJ disorder where you have pain or tension in your jaw, Invisalign may be worse than braces because, since the trays surround your entire teeth including the biting surface, you're adding additional "stuff" to bite down on. If, however, you have problems with bruxism at night, Invisalign could be better since the trays are very sturdy and basically act as a night guard.

- With braces, you don't need to worry about removing anything. With Invisalign, you need to remove the trays every time you eat, or drink anything besides water. My orthodontist has stated I can, technically, eat with the trays in, and it's supposed to help keep them well-fit onto my teeth from the extra chewing pressure, but I've found it scratches up the trays and stains them and leaves little micro-scratches and pits, which are kinda gross. So I remove them. Depending on you, it might be a huge pain to remove them. I'm a snacker (many small meals throughout the day), and it's kind of a nightmare removing them all the time, then needing to brush my teeth and put them back in.

Because of all this, I honestly couldn't choose either or poll option. It's really down to preference, and for me, the subjective pros and cons of both options are about 50/50.

Have you started treatment yet? If so, what did you decide and how is it going?

Back
Top Bottom