Weapons & Equip Magic Sponge

Do you have the hots for Magic Sponge?

• Yes.

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • No.

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
Proposing a functional change here. *ahem*

The Magic Sponge would serve as an infinite stack of Buckets, but it can only hold Water. Any Water absorbed past 999 will be deleted, meaning it can still be used as a water-removal item. Clicking on Water sucks it up, clicking on air drops it back out. (Water is tracked in the spot where ammo is tracked for guns.)

Instead of just directly transforming Lava into Obsidian and Honey into Honey Blocks, you can also squeeze a block of water above it and have the water dribble onto it. You can still use it directly on Lava or Honey; you just spend a block of water in the process. Attacking Lava or Honey with no Water in store results in a fun splashy effect.

You can add this as an alternate possible function if you don't want to completely adopt it.

You can add this as an alternate possible function if you don't want to completely adopt it.
That's quite good, actually. It can then transport huge volumes of water as well as removing them! The current solution is still a bit simpler, but if I knew that what you proposed is possible to program, then I'd be all for it. And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Then again... herbs...

Oh, and this functional change would satisfy Azure's Snickerbobble's concerns about this having a duplicate function to his Watering Can. I, personally, would like to see both added, since they could both coexists peacefully if this change was made.

There's a slight logical issue that makes the Sponge slightly better at handling liquids. All tools must use the same animations, correct? And a watering can does not suck water in through its nozzle. But it uses its nozzle to freeze lava. In short, you can't use the watering animation to drain water. But the Sponge, of course, avoids this issue: the same motion can mop up water and freeze lava. After all, it's a moist sponge.

You've heard that before, of course, but I didn't hear a response... Basically, it's a slight logical issue that makes the Sponge a preferable option for liquid manipulation, even if it can't water plants.

Tell me why we can't add both. Adding the Magic Sponge and the Watering Can together, each with its own function, is preferable to adding just the Watering Can, even if only slightly.
images

Looks like this can scoop up liquids. There is no logical issue, and even if there was, Terraria is full of them. Such as lava buckets burning up in lava, and the ability to scoop up lava in a bucket. Water+Honey shouldn't form a honey block, but they do.

There could be both, but it would just be a repeat item.

There could be both, but it would just be a repeat item.
*cough*
Proposing a functional change here. *ahem*

The Magic Sponge would serve as an infinite stack of Buckets, but it can only hold Water. Any Water absorbed past 999 will be deleted, meaning it can still be used as a water-removal item. Clicking on Water sucks it up, clicking on air drops it back out. (Water is tracked in the spot where ammo is tracked for guns.)

Instead of just directly transforming Lava into Obsidian and Honey into Honey Blocks, you can also squeeze a block of water above it and have the water dribble onto it. You can still use it directly on Lava or Honey; you just spend a block of water in the process. Attacking Lava or Honey with no Water in store results in a fun splashy effect.

Oh, and this functional change would satisfy Azure's Snickerbobble's concerns about this having a duplicate function to his Watering Can. I, personally, would like to see both added, since they could both coexists peacefully if this change was made.
The sooner you make this change official, Baconfry, the sooner Snickers can stop being butthurt.

hmm... what if the watering can could pick up other liquids like lava and honey and was easier to get, but the magic sponge was better for using water?

"Butthurt" like you've never been upset about someone "copying" your idea.
:rolleyes:Not for any longer than 2 or 3 posts, and that was a matter of mere stat differences.
If these changes are made, then it would be less of a copy item.
I don't really think it was much of a copy item in the first place. Magic Sponge is like an infinite Watering Can, but Watering Cans are open to being filled with Honey and Lava, whereas the Magic Sponge serves solely water-based functions. Baconfry is just trying to add a practical way of removing liquids from a world, and you're trying to add a whole new method of manipulating liquids. You had completely different intentions, so there shouldn't have been any clashing. -_-

I want it. Can we throw them at people?
Seriously, can we?
Can we clean those dishes we bought off the Travelling Merchant with them?
Can we flood our friend's bases with them?
The answer: Yes.
Support.

Wait a minute... Yes contains 3 letters. Agreeing is Half-life 3, Portal 3, and Team Fortress 3. Or maybe all 3?

:rolleyes:Not for any longer than 2 or 3 posts, and that was a matter of mere stat differences.

I don't really think it was much of a copy item in the first place. Magic Sponge is like an infinite Watering Can, but Watering Cans are open to being filled with Honey and Lava, whereas the Magic Sponge serves solely water-based functions. Baconfry is trying to add a practical way of removing liquids from a world, and you're trying to add a new method of manipulating liquids. You had completely different intentions, so there shouldn't have been any clashing. -_-
That's not what the OP says, it still has a description identical to the Watering Can, except.. has +1 range instead of +3. It still mentions being able to transform liquids into their liquid combination tiles, which is the main function of the Watering Can.

I think it's normal to be upset when someone gets the credit and recognition for something you posted first. Day 1 this has three times the attention than my topic on TO posted half a year ago. Baconfry already has a lot of his own ideas, so it's heartbreaking how one of my few is taken by him.

I think it's normal to be upset when someone gets the credit and recognition for something you posted first. Day 1 this has three times the attention than my topic on TO posted half a year ago. Baconfry already has a lot of his own idea, so it's heartbreaking how one of my few is taken by him.
Aside from that fact that you're reacting far more dramatically than either me or Baconfry have in the presence of an apparently duplicated suggestion thread, which you seem to abhor when we do it but you have absolutely no problem in doing yourself, there are fundamental differences in these ideas that you refuse to acknowledge which sets this apart from yours and make them both unique. Focus in the differences rather than the similarities, and don't be such a drama queen.

I don't want to be trapped into an argument again, can we get straight to the topic?

These are completely different in intent. Magic Sponge places the focus on removing liquids and transporting water. The Watering Can, however, is not specialized for draining larger bodies of water (in fact, I saw no indication that liquid would actually be removed by it) and, if it can't influence herb blooming (I wish it could), its main benefit is conveniently freezing lava into Obsidian.

Aside from that fact that you're reacting far more dramatically than either me or Baconfry have in the presence of an apparently duplicated suggestion thread, which you seem to abhor when we do it but you have absolutely no problem in doing yourself, there are fundamental differences in these ideas that you refuse to acknowledge which sets this apart from yours and make them both unique. Focus in the differences rather than the similarities, and don't be such a drama queen.
I only have a handful of suggestions, so of course one taken from me will upset me. It wasn't until much later Baconfry tried to make the sponge different, but he still got a lot of attention for it (and I find it odd how both you and he never liked the original thread, is this just to spite me? If you support it.. then shouldn't you, y'know, support it? :/). He also told me to notify him if he ever made a duplicate idea thread and claimed he would be horrified if this ever happened. Except that didn't happen, instead he just shrugged and thought his (at the time) less useful version was better.

As for those last few sentences.. I can say the same to you *cough*tungsten bullets.

I don't want to be trapped into an argument again, can we get straight to the topic?

These are completely different in intent. Magic Sponge places the focus on removing liquids and transporting water. The Watering Can, however, is not specialized for draining larger bodies of water (in fact, I saw no indication that liquid would actually be removed by it) and, if it can't influence herb blooming (I wish it could), its main benefit is conveniently freezing lava into Obsidian.
I'm just easily provoked by rude posts, but I also don't want to be in any argument. I had thought of making the Watering Can bottomless and able to hold lots of water tiles but this would require one water tile per use and then someone could scoop up the whole ocean and dump it in the Underworld. Whether it can remove and place actual liquid tiles, I'm not sure yet, though this can be problematic for the Magic Sponge. I can also see someone flooding worlds in multiplayer..

Back
Top Bottom