Do you have the hots for Magic Sponge?

• Yes.

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • No.

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Anyone who works with liquids has probably realized how frustrating they are to deal with. You can't exactly get rid of liquids easily, can you? Now I know I'm not the first to realize that the problem exists, but... this is the way I'd want to see it done.

magicsponge.png

Magic Sponge
+1 range
Traveling Merchant, 8 gold
Found in Water Chests.

When used on water, the water disappears, the same effect as an Empty Bucket.

When used on Lava, it is replaced with Obsidian.
When used on Honey, it is replaced with Honey Blocks.

So I guess it does make it easier to clean up spills, doesn't it? I'm accepting suggestions for the tooltip... make Billy Mays proud.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or deceased, is entirely coincidental. @Magic Sponge

Last edited:
The problem with this: It makes obsidian skull and plus available too early if you get lucky. Change it up, and I'll support!

It should also be able to create water, cuz ya know, it sucked all that water up in the past. Also, the fact that it converts honey and lava implies that it can do that...

You're gonna hate me for this but... I believe you told me to point out if you ever make a repeat suggestion, and by the looks of it, this version has more uses: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/watering-can-for-farming-and-building.155576/ I'd assume it would have the same effects on honey.

Of course, I do like the idea. Just, it's a little sad to see the original suggestion get so little attention.
It can't be counted as a duplicate as this is a new forum.

It can't be counted as a duplicate as this is a new forum.
I am not requesting a lock, no. Just simply pointing out that the idea has been posted already. Baconfry told me to do this if he ever posted a duplicate idea. Being on a new forum doesn't make it a new idea.

Reactions: Gem
I am not requesting a lock, no. Just simply pointing out that the idea has been posted already. Baconfry told me to do this if he ever posted a duplicate idea. Being on a new forum doesn't make it a new idea.
Of course, I anticipated that someone somewhere had to come up with this idea sometime... not a problem. If it didn't get attention before, it's going to get it now, I hope.

Edit: a wet sponge seems like a more suitable tool for dabbing directly at spilled liquids, which IMO makes it more suitable as a tool. A watering can seems like it would involve projectiles of some sort, which doesn't coincide too well with the whole selective coagulation/freezing aspect. (The Magic Sponge "builds" obsidian out of lava... you get it, right?) The Watering Can is still a swell idea for herbs, though, so I fully support that function.

Last edited:
Of course, I anticipated that someone somewhere had to come up with this idea sometime... not a problem. If it didn't get attention before, it's going to get it now, I hope.

Edit: a wet sponge seems like a more suitable tool for dabbing directly at spilled liquids, which IMO makes it more suitable as a tool. A watering can seems like it would involve projectiles of some sort, which doesn't coincide too well with the whole selective coagulation/freezing aspect. (The Magic Sponge "builds" obsidian out of lava... you get it, right?) The Watering Can is still a swell idea for herbs, though, so I fully support that function.
The watering can does everything the sponge does, though. It can turn lava into obsidian and allows you to build into it.

The sponge is pretty much just a weaker version of it. Other than being weaker, it's the same item.

The watering can does everything the sponge does, though. It can turn lava into obsidian and allows you to build into it.

The sponge is pretty much just a weaker version of it. Other than being weaker, it's the same item.
There's a slight logical issue that makes the Sponge slightly better at handling liquids. All tools must use the same animations, correct? And a watering can does not suck water in through its nozzle. But it uses its nozzle to freeze lava. In short, you can't use the watering animation to drain water. But the Sponge, of course, avoids this issue: the same motion can mop up water and freeze lava. After all, it's a moist sponge.

You've heard that before, of course, but I didn't hear a response... Basically, it's a slight logical issue that makes the Sponge a preferable option for liquid manipulation, even if it can't water plants.

Tell me why we can't add both. Adding the Magic Sponge and the Watering Can together, each with its own function, is preferable to adding just the Watering Can, even if only slightly.

Whilst the concept isn't that original, the idea that is expressed is both useful, awesome and hilarious, due to the coincidental reference to Magic Sponge. I hope the developers add this, and while they're at it, make a Razor Knight NPC.

Back
Top Bottom