Weapons & Equip Bound Weapons - No, not that kind!

What do you think of my take on Summoner Weapons?

• Seems like a good way to make Summoners a main-stream class!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • It's interesting, but I don't think Summoners should be able to inflict primary damage.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • The concept is cool, but I don't like the execution.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • This is horrible. Why would you do this?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scironex

The Destroyer
Me, while making this thread: Prefixes? What are those? Maybe I should put one on this. No, no, definitely not.
Me, while making this thread as it relates to the suggestion: What's really frustrating is that Summoners have to rely on second-hand damage to get anything done. It's silly, really. Actually, I'd quite like it if there was a way to deal direct Summon damage. It's a good thing I have TCF open!

So the idea is to introduce a set of properly tiered weapons that pair with the passive summons already in-game. But not just to introduce any weapons - to introduce thematic, well designed weapons.The idea is that you're summoning a weapon, or projectile, or whatnot in the same manner that you summon minions. On an unrelated I've alluded very briefly that I've been playing Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia quite a bit recently, so these weapons draw inspiration from the Glyph system therein.

So let's get going, shall we?

First off, these "Active" Summoner weapons have a special quality - once you use one, it's bound to you for ~ 2 minutes. This consumes one of your Summon slots, and during this time, the only other things you can use are things accessed via hotkey. That is to say, Healing Potions, Mana Potions, and Buffs. "Well that's :red:e," I hear you saying. Here's the thing - Bound Weapons not only have slightly superior stats to equal-tiered weaponry, but some, esp. late-game ones, would behave like Magic weapons, but require no mana after the initial binding. In that sense, they behave not unlike the Terra Blade beams, or the Death Sickle projectiles. All bound weapons require 10 mana to bind, like the other Summoner weapons.

The reason most Bound Weapons require Silk is because paper doesn't seem to exist outside of books and specialized items. Anyway,

Ore tier:

Magic Rapier

Behaves like: Shortsword. No, not those ones, these ones!
Damage 10
Use time 10

Silk.png
(10)
Copper_Bar.png
or
Tin_Bar.png
(7)

Thaumic Axe

Behaves like: Flower of Fire, really. Except it only pierces once, and doesn't bounce.
Damage 10
Use time 18

Silk.png
(10)
Iron_Bar.png
or
Lead_Bar.png
(8)

Spellbound Sword

Behaves like: Broadsword. First time I didn't have to include a postscript, eh? Yeah, I did this by choice.
Damage 14
Use time 18

Silk.png
(10)
Silver_Bar.png
or
Tungsten_Bar.png
(8)

Conjured Pick

Behaves like: A pick. Look at the damage before judging, silly. Also, picks autoswing, so yeah.
Damage 15
Use time 14
Pickaxe power 59%

Silk.png
(10)
Gold_Bar.png
or
Platinum_Bar.png
(12)

Dark Biome:

Demon Fang

Behaves like: Throwing knife.
Damage 16
Use time 13

Silk.png
(15)
Demonite_Bar.png
(10)

Bloody Arrows

Behaves like: Arrow. However, the arrows fire on a very slight delay.
Damage 24
Use time 19

Silk.png
(15)
Crimtane_Bar.png
(10)

Dungeon:

Geyser

Behaves like: Flower of Fire... sort of. It does send out an arcing projectile, but it drops like a stone anvil. Then it creates a jet of water that shoots up and lingers for a while.
Damage 24
Use time 30

Found in Gold Chests, oddly enough.

Hell:

Underworld Guardian

Behaves like: Extremely wide shortsword. Lingers long enough to hit more than once on the same enemy.
Damage 38
Use time 32

Early Hardmode:

Cursed Lantern

Behaves like: Tri-directional bolt-style weapon. Does not pierce. Inflicts Cursed Inferno occasionally.
Damage 36
Use time 15

Cursed_Torch.png
(20)
Soul_of_Night.png
(25)

Blighted Fan

Behaves like: Geyser, except the jet inflicts Ichor and moves across the ground. Pierces once.
Damage 22
Use time 15

Ichor_Torch.png
(20)
Soul_of_Night.png
(25)

Enchanted Amulet

Behaves like: Also Geyser, but the projectile is a a crystal seed which turns into a burst of Crystal shards which lingers long enough to inflict damage several times.
Damage 49
Use time 27

Post Mech:

Gear Blade

Behaves like: Boomerang, but curves a bit on the return, and breaks instead of bouncing and goes through the player. Pierces infinitely.
Damage 40
Use time 14

Cog.png
(25)
Hallowed_Bar.png
(16)
Soul_of_Might.png
(10)

Post Plantera:

Stone Fist

Behaves like: Once again, a wide shortsword. Has high knockback.
Damage 60
Use time 25

Golem Drop... OR...

mysterious-machinery-png.89093
(5)
lihzahrd-scales-png.89187
(20)
Lihzahrd_Brick.png
(12)

Moon events:

Frostshine

Behaves like: A wide, albeit relatively short-range laser. About the same range as the Death Sickle. Lasts long enough to hit several times.
Damage 60
Use time 16

Frost Queen drop.

You've got some interesting and original ideas there, but if you ask me, the Summoner class is supposed to rely on secondary weapons. They give up damage bonuses on other classes, doing less damage with them, in exchange for their minion capacity.

So although this suggestion is neat and would be nice to see in the game in some form or another, it's not really solving a problem, because I don't think there is one. If you mean that Summoners should play a more active role in combat, however, I have a suggestion for that, if only the Dev team would be a bit more open about... opening up the right-click for new functions.

Back
Top Bottom