1. We have hub threads for known bugs/issues and statuses of fixes for Mobile, 3DS, and Console platforms:
    Click here for Mobile
    Click here for 3DS
    Click here for PS3/PS4/PS Vita/XBox 360/XBox One
  2. IMPORTANT NEWS for Amazon users, especially if you use cloud saves. Read more here.

Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Discussion in 'Console - 505 Games/Engine Software' started by 505Games, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 505Games

505Games Publisher/Developer Staff Member 505 Games

**UPDATE (Dec. 10 2015) Terraria for 3DS is HERE! **

505 Games and Re-Logic are proud to be able to finally - and officially - confirm that Terraria will indeed be coming to the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS platforms! This represents a massive opportunity to bring Terraria to a whole new set of gamers whom may have never seen Terraria before - as well as a chance to explore what might be possible in the game with dual screen functionality. We hope you share in our excitement around the potential here!

Of course, we are well aware that there have been a number of rumors and leaked information around this from various sources - so, the way we figure it, we owe you a bit more to help make this announcement even more newsworthy! Also please note that any "release dates" given out were not official.

Let's start with some never before seen pictures of the packaging - and we will hope to bring you some screenshots that show off some of the new functionality in the weeks to come:

[​IMG]
    2D_Terraria-WiiU_PEGI small.jpg

[​IMG]

2D_Terraria_3DS_USA small.jpg

[​IMG]
    Also, please welcome @Deanzor, a 505 Games representative who will be working on Nintendo Terraria!

He's shared some information and answered some questions here in the thread, so be sure to check it out:

[​IMG]
    Question:
    Do we get download play so we can do multiplayer with friends?
    Will the Wii U version support Miiverse?
    Will the Wii U version have voice chat?

[​IMG]
    Question:
    How will multiplayer work on 3DS and Wii U?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Question:
    Will these new ports slow down the development of other Console/Mobile versions of Terraria?
    How will these versions differ from pre-existing Console/Mobile versions of Terraria?

[​IMG]
    Question:
    Will items such as the Plumber and Hero Outfits have their coloring returned to the original, in light of being on a Nintendo console?

[​IMG]
    Question:
    Will this version get constant updates like the other versions?
    [​IMG]
    Question:
    Will WiiU Terraria support Classic Controllers?
    Why won't 3DS support online play?
    Question:
    What world size options will there be on the 3DS and Wii U?
    Question:
    Will there be a demo in the eShop? That would be kinda nice for people who are wanting to try the game but on the fence about buying it.
    Question:
    Will there be support for StreetPass? Miiverse? Amiibo?
    Content update after the Nintendo Direct:
    QUESTION:
    How will aiming be handled in the 3DS?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION:
    Will 3DS have slots for dyeing equipment?

[​IMG]

To close out our announcement, let's give you what you are all wondering - an estimate on release timing! Of course, you will have all seen various published dates based upon the earlier rumors/leaks. For the most part, these are guesses or estimates. We are sharing here today that the expected launch for Terraria on Wii U and 3DS will take place in early 2016!

We have a few more surprises in store for this coming Holiday season, but we will save those for another time. Join us in celebrating this move that will finally bring Terraria to all of the major gaming platforms!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
    Spectra, terromme, Zedtho' and 115 others like this.
  2. Cenx

Cenx Lead Developer Staff Member Re-Logic Administrator

Very excited for this to be happening. :)

3. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

Finally! Another game to buy for my 3DS! :D

4. Loki

Loki Consigliere Staff Member Re-Logic Administrator

Well - I know this was leaked all over the place, and then there were rumors about a "cancellation" that people were spreading...it is great to see this once and for all confirmed and with an official release timing. :cool:

This is exciting stuff - I always love seeing the Terraria universe expand...and that dual screen man...

5. kageboushiKun

kageboushiKun Terrarian

YES PLEASE.

CAN'T DO THIS ON GENISIS, NINTENDO DOES.

6. gallantEclipse

gallantEclipse Headless Horseman

Nice. Another way to play makes it better. Unfortunately I don't have a Wii U so I won't have access to that version, but 3DS I'm all about.

7. Pixel

Pixel Steampunker

I'm up for this.

legomaster81 likes this.
  8. Matrim

Matrim Terrarian

I might finally be able to convince my friend to play Terraria! Everyone around him plays on PC but this might be enough to entice him.

9. netcube

netcube Terrarian

another oppertunity to buy 3ds instead of new PC :)

NextGenNitron likes this.
  10. Prism

Prism Skeletron Prime

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Sweet.

Blunt Force Bob likes this.
  11. Aw heck yeah.

12. ChippyGaming

ChippyGaming Skeletron

and minecrafters said Terraria isn't 3D...

13. Tamorr

Tamorr Cultist

Well this is nice to see... I am one to prefer the nintendo portable over the others. Definitely interested in how those dual screen setup will work; and how it will play, as in control-wise. Be a different feel for sure, but looks promising.:dryadhappy:

Deeked and baconpancakes9 like this.
  14. kkbubble

kkbubble Terrarian

crazy! this is super exciting! I'm hyped!

baconpancakes9, Doomimic and netcube like this.
  15. WilliamD

WilliamD Terrarian

Great job 505 games and all!
    Maybe this will happen when I'm facing Spazmitism on 3DS?
    image.jpg

16. netcube

netcube Terrarian

Well, i think it's time to start savin' money for new console and game :D

17. TH

TH Terrarian

yay! SO HYPED for the 3ds, imagine having your inventory on the bottom screen open 247 :D :D :D

18. Rektar

Rektar Terrarian

All aboard the hype train!

legomaster81 and baconpancakes9 like this.
  19. netcube

netcube Terrarian

Imagine that you accidently change something on your hotbar while fighting, like boss. That would be a mess

20. RoboCop

RoboCop Terrarian

Beautiful! Now I can look at Terraria in magical new ways on 3DS! *magical ways are in no way actually magical, no refunds accepted.