Game Mechanics Gating the Terra Blade past Plantera

Ceci n'est pas une questionne.

• I agree, the Terra Blade needs to be gated like this.

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • I think that the Terra Blade needs to be gated, but not like this.

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I disagree with this in its entirety, and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters

Scironex

The Destroyer
It's very clear that the Terra Blade is OP and problematic for a variety of reasons. For those that don't know - it's a Post 1-mech tier weapon that's as powerful as Post Plantera weapons. Not only that, but it's also vastly superior to 2 other equal-tiered weapons, and makes them essentially obsolete. (True Night's Edge and True Excalibur, if you didn't catch my drift.)

There have been several other proposed solutions to fix this problem, but I'm hoping to make a simple, thematic, and elegant solution that uses only items already in game.

Make the Terra Blade crafted at the Lihzarhd Altar.

"Hold on, Sciro! All the other swords are crafted at an anvil! That doesn't make any-!"

Back off, Strawman. You're made of Straw. I have an Inferno Fork. Also, think of the only other ultimate sword. The one made by combining the essences of Fire, Water, Grass, and Darkness. Get the allusion? I'm referring to Night's Edge. Where is it crafted? Not at an anvil - at a Demon Altar. This is where the "thematic" takes effect. Also, the Lihzarhd Altar, is, of course, gated by the Temple Key, dropped by Plantera.

Thoughts and criticism are appreciated.

Last edited:
Completely and utterly agreed. Would give the True Night's Edge and True Excalibur much more of a use, since you only really use them if RNG hates you.

The Terra blade is a direct upgrade to those two other swords though... The Terra blade doesn't need to be nerfed.
1) Its not post plantera. You can get it before plantera.
Remember, you need to use a true nights edge, true excalibur and another broken hero sword to get it. If you want to nerf the Terra blade please change the crafting recipe.

Its not post plantera. You can get it before plantera.

@Scironex was saying that it's as strong as one of those weapons, but can be obtained before plantera, at the fight of one mech boss. I'm going to have to say that Scironex is right about this. It deserves to be gated further, with the immense power it has. I'm not sure how much further, though.

It's very clear that the Terra Blade is OP and problematic for a variety of reasons. For those that don't know - it's a Post-Plantera tier weapon that can be obtained after 1 mech boss. Not only that, but it's also vastly superior to 2 other equal-tiered weapons, and makes them essentially obsolete. (True Night's Edge and True Excalibur, if you didn't catch my drift.)
They aren't equal-tiered though; Those two are used to craft the Terra Blade. I do agree, though. When you can craft the True Night's Edge and -Excalibur, you can often immediately craft the Terra Blade as well.
There have been several other proposed solutions to fix this problem, but I'm hoping to make a simple, thematic, and elegant solution that uses only items already in game.
Make the Terra Blade crafted at the Lihzarhd Altar.
"Hold on, Sciro! All the other swords are crafted at an anvil! That doesn't make any-!"
Back off, Strawman. You're made of Straw. I have an Inferno Fork. Also, think of the only other ultimate sword. The one made by combining the essences of Fire, Water, Grass, and Darkness. Get the allusion? I'm referring to Night's Edge. Where is it crafted? Not at an anvil - at a Demon Altar.
I like it. Might be because I haven't read any other suggestions for solving the Terra Blade's 'problems', but you have my support.

If you want to nerf the Terra blade please change the crafting recipe.
For all intents and purposes, that's exactly what I'm doing. If I were to nerf the Terra Blade by actually changing the recipe, I would make it include ectoplasm or something. But the problem most people have with that is ectoplasm isn't a a logical material to use in the recipe. I think that the recipe as it stands is perfect, it just needs to be moved further into the game.
Wrong. They're not equal tiered.
I don't understand what you mean. Tiering has absolutely nothing to do with raw power, it's based off of when you can get it in the game. The "True" blades are equal tier because you can get theoretically get them at the same time.
They aren't equal-tiered though; Those two are used to craft the Terra Blade.
Same as above. They're equal tiered because you don't have to progress further into the game to obtain the Terra Blade.

For all intents and purposes, that's exactly what I'm doing. If I were to nerf the Terra Blade by actually changing the recipe, I would make it include ectoplasm or something. But the problem most people have with that is ectoplasm isn't a a logical material to use in the recipe. I think that the recipe as it stands is perfect, it just needs to be moved further into the game.

I don't understand what you mean. Tiering has absolutely nothing to do with raw power, it's based off of when you can get it in the game. The "True" blades are equal tier because you can get theoretically get them at the same time.

Same as above. They're equal tiered because you don't have to progress further into the game to obtain the Terra Blade.
How is something that is crafted with another something equal to that other something? You don't get how the tiering works.

How is something that is crafted with another something equal to that other something? You don't get how the tiering works.
Pardon, but I think that you're the one who doesn't get how tiering works.

The "True" blades and Terra Blade occupy the same tier - Post 1-mech tier. The reason the Terra Blade doesn't occupy a higher tier is because you don't have to get further into the game to get it. That is to say, you don't have to beat any other mech boss to get it. The next tangible tier is post all-mech tier - Chlorophyte tier. The previous tier is early HM tier. Another example of equal-tiered upgrades to each other is the Ankh Shield. The Ankh Shield isn't a higher tier of the Ankh Charm, because both of them can be obtained in early HM tier.

I forgot to put the poll in, and funny enough that its in my first controversial thread. I'm interested in seeing the exact distribution of agreements to disagreements.

Pardon, but I think that you're the one who doesn't get how tiering works.

The "True" blades and Terra Blade occupy the same tier - Post 1-mech tier. The reason the Terra Blade doesn't occupy a higher tier is because you don't have to get further into the game to get it. That is to say, you don't have to beat any other mech boss to get it. The next tangible tier is post all-mech tier - Chlorophyte tier. The previous tier is early HM tier. Another example of equal-tiered upgrades to each other is the Ankh Shield. The Ankh Shield isn't a higher tier of the Ankh Charm, because both of them can be obtained in early HM tier.
It depends your opinion of how it works. I see that we are both set in our opinion, do I will not try to change yours.

Are copper swords, iron swords, silver swords and gold swords all of the same "tier"? You can get a a gold sword before a bronze sword...
-_- The Terra blade is a direct upgrade of both true swords.

Back
Top Bottom