Biomes & Nature Giving the new Desert some spice

652Graystripe

Plantera
First and foremost, I'd like to thank my co-conspirators. Just because I'm the one posting this thread doesn't mean they didn't have an equal part of the project. They're both pretty awesome, is what I'm saying. Bringing a suit to the occasion in one form or another, we have the Desert Revamp, by @Pinelord, myself and @crackshotCerberus!

So the new Desert is cool and all, but we still have the problem that rangers (and summoners) get a really, really tough time before they can acquire good class-specific armor. We're here to suggest a basic summoner armor for early-game, plus a more specialized ranger armor that is to Necro as Meteor is to Jungle. Oh, yeah. And a boss. And you guys can treat your eyes to some serious pleasure by viewing Pinelord's amazing sprites.

The Sandgun is bull, we know that. It's a gimmick of a weapon that's functionally useless.
Sand gun.png
*20 ranged damage
*36 usetime
*3 velocity
*1.4 knockback
Sand no longer lies on the ground, but instead will dissipate midair, leaving a damaging cloud of sand

DustStormBlaster.png
Sand Cannon (sprite by @Hunited)
Crafted from 5 Souls of Fright, the Sandgun and Illegal Gun Parts.
*47 ranged damage
*29 usetime
*2 velocity
*1.5 knockback
Has a high defense piercing effect.

Sand Bullet.png
Sand Bullet
Crafted from 1 Sand and 10 Musket Balls for 10, or 1 evil sand and 50 musket balls for 50
*Leaves a cloud of damaging sand upon impact

...which are now 100% to spawn in every world, by the way. RNGesus be damned.
Now they have a big room at the end and chests scattered throughout. Quite a bit like the Lihzahrd Temple, actually. The chests contain the Flying Carpet/Sandstorm in a Bottle and some additional items, which I'll discuss later.

In addition, the Pyramid will undergo a change after one mech boss is defeated. New enemies will become available, yielding different loot.

They also have traps:
Sandblaster_Trap.png
Sandblaster Trap
*Works as a shorter-ranged, lower-damage version of the Flamethrower Trap

Heavy_Dart_Trap.png
Heavy Dart Trap
*Stronger than the conventional Dart Trap

Scarab.png
Scarab
Spawn in the desert, passive
*25% bait power
*Crafting ingredient in both new armor sets

Sun Orb.png
Sun Orb
Common spawn in the Pyramid
*Deadly Sphere AI
*15 damage
*30 HP
*19 defense
*Inflict Sunfire, 20%

Desiccated_Corpse.png
Desiccated Corpse
*Fighter AI
*24 damage
*100 HP
*-4 defense (takes additional damage from attacks)

Cobra.png
Cobra
*Salamander AI
*20 damage (spit)
*12 damage (contact)
*80 HP
*8 defense
*Inflicts Poison with its projectile

Pyramid Head.png
Pyramid Head
Uncommon spawn in the Pyramid, Hardmode + one mech defeated only
*Butcher AI
*500 HP
*85 damage
*19 defense
*Drops Great Knife

King_Cobra.png
King Cobra
Uncommon spawn in the Pyramid, Hardmode + one mech defeated only
*Salamander AI
*350 HP
*53 damage (spit)
*24 damage (contact)
*25 defense
*Inflicts Venom with its spit
*Drops Acid Spitter

Mummy.png

Mummy
Common spawn in the Pyramid during Hardmode

Gold_Chest.png

Mimic
More common than usual in the Pyramid during Hardmode

Great Scarab (1).png
Everyone, give it up for Pinelord's amazing spriting skills. I just can't get enough of it.
Great Scarab
*3000 HP
*14 Defense
*22 damage

Spawns when a live Scarab is put on the altar at the end of the pyramid.

The Great Scarab is a bit of a jerk to you. It follows Spider AI, crawling around the room in the pyramid, shooting sand projectiles at you. It also destroys your platforms where it walks, so there's that.

He's not a very difficult boss here, but as soon as you cut him down to 1500 HP...

Great Scarab P2.png
The wings don't functionally deal damage, but they will throw you away quite violently.

In stage 2, he really speeds up quite a bit, and then drops projectiles through the ceiling at you. Not the most pleasant of people- er, scarabs. Also has a tendency to change non-Pyramid blocks into a DoT thing called Sunstone, which makes your job hard. Sunstone won't drop if you try to mine it either ;-;

Fossilized Pie.png
Fossilized Pie
'Only the chosen one may crack open the rocky shell to access the goodness within'
Grants Weapon Imbue: Sunfire

Sunfire does damage equivalent to On Fire! and reduces the contact damage of the foe by 25%. Very useful, but most bosses are immune.

Pharaoh's_clothes.png
*Now dropped by Sun Orbs like with the Mummy Outfit.

Scarab Carapace.png
Scarab Carapace
*Found in Pyramid chests
*2 defense
*+10% ranged damage if the player is moving
*Knockback immunity

Rising Wind.png
Rising Wind
*Dropped by Pyramid enemies, 2.5% chance
*Creates a cloud of sand where it spins
*14 melee damage
*16 usetime
*Very Weak knockback

Armor.png
Scarab Armor
Helm: 10 Wood and 5 Scarabs to craft. Increases minion count by one, provides 1 defense.
Chestpiece: 20 Wood and 8 Scarabs to craft. Provides 2 defense.
Greaves: 15 Wood and 6 Scarabs to craft. 1 defense.
Set bonus: +10% minion damage, spawns a scarab (think Stardust Guardian) to fight for you.

Tumble_Blade.png (thanks, @DestroyerArcher)
Tumble Blade
*Dropped by Great Scarab
*When striking an enemy, it summons a cloud of sand that deals damage for a few seconds
*19 melee damage
*17 usetime
*2 knockback

Monsoon.png
Monsoon
'The rains come with the force of a hurricane'
*Dropped by Great Scarab
*19 ranged damage
*8 rain damage
Rain trails after the arrow shot.

Great_Knife.png
Great Knife
*Dropped by Pyramid Head
*120 melee damage
*35 usetime (slow)
*10 knockback (extremely strong)

Dust of the ancients.png
Dust of the Ancients ("DotA")
*Dropped in quantities of 50-70
Used to craft Dust Storm Armor

Armor (1).png
Dust Storm Armor
*Helmet: Crafted with 30 DotA, 8 Scarabs. +15% projectile velocity, 4 defense.
*Chestpiece: Crafted with 45 DotA, 10 Scarabs. +7% ranged damage, 6 defense.
*Greaves: Crafted with 35 DotA, 6 Scarabs, 2 Antlion Mandibles. +8% move speed, 4 defense.
*Set bonus: Ranged attacks cause a cloud of sand where they hit, DoT debuffs do 50% less damage.

Desert_Spirit_Lamp.png

Desert Spirit Lamp
*Can be used to trigger a sandstorm (but not dispel it)

Pocket_Sand.png
Pocket Sand
*Crafted with 1 Sand (makes 3)
*Throwable, works like other powders to create a damaging cloud lasting a few seconds
*10 throwing damage

Of course, I couldn't have done this without our spriter/summon armor maker Pinelord, our local crazy rebalancer crackshotCerberus, and the dude who made a few of the later sprites (such as the cobras and the Great Knife).

Big thank you, and enjoy!

P.S. Who can spot all the references?

22/10/18 - updated to reformat a little, as well as preparing for additional thread content.
22/10/18 - added post-mech expansion.

Last edited:
I see you finally got around to making the thread! It looks good, nice to see you took your time in editing it into what we see now.

I see you finally got around to making the thread! It looks good, nice to see you took your time in editing it into what we see now.
Heh. I'm not used to organization. I ended up delaying it a little bit while we waited for Cerberus, but I figured he'd enjoy coming back to see the work come to fruition.

There's probably a lot of people that like the sand gun's ability to place sand blocks, maybe there could be a crafted ammo type that has the new effect?

Wow, nice! Just two comments: (Maybe more later when I'm awake.)
Sand Bullet
Crafted from 1 Sand and 10 Musket Balls for 10, or 1 evil sand and 50 musket balls for 50
*Leaves a cloud of damaging sand upon impact
How about if it inflicted Blindness instead? I.e. Sand in the eyes. (Or if the Blindfold renders that pointless, it could be Darkness or a later blindness-type debuff.)

Tumble Blade (the only sprite in this by me. You can tell.)
*When held, it summons a cloud of sand in front of you that deals damage.
Is this a permanent effect? ("When held...") Maybe it should only apply when swung, and maybe the sand cloud could inflict blindness as mentioned above.

References... hmm. Obviously, DOTA. If there isn't a Stargate SG-1 reference in there, I'm going to be disappoint.

Maybe the sandgun could act like a weaker, shorter range, wider cone flamethrower, like a real sandblaster. Also, +1 support!

Love all of your ideas! Biome-centric enhancements are always fantastic, and nice organization here.

Back
Top Bottom