Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take a lot of work to make true melee work. The issue is that if true melee works, you can generally kill the boss by standing by them and starting a slugging match, like with baghnakhs.
There are many approaches to this:
- Keep true melee useful for mobs and little else: current situation
- Make a couple of big weapons, with reach a bit higher than gungnir. Flails, whips and boomerangs already work at this range, so making whip-range swords does not seem super necessary to me, besides, scythes do this already.
- Dash in, hit, dash out: you would get close to a boss, hit him for a bit, then disengange and repeat. This would work on true melee without devolving in facetanking, but it would require a lot of work, as devs would need to give a couple of true melee swords effects like the hallowed set, basically a very short on-hit buff to either dps or survivavility that cannot be abused by swapping weapons. Overall, a ton of work, absolutely out of the scope of this thread. Actually, if the night's edge had somewhat higher dps than the phoenix blaster, along with an attack cooldown of 4 seconds, this would work. Basically you could allow true melee swords to perform a power attack every 5 seconds, dealing x10 dmg, or something like that.

Imo there is no good way to make "true melee" possible for bossing without a ton of unpaid work. Would be nice if true melee was viable in terraria 2 though.

Because you could literally kill Plantera faster than she can kill you while standing?
That doesn't seem fair.
It's problematic to create a fair true melee sword that works against bosses because it's almost impossible to hit them without taking damage, and if you're beating bosses by getting hit by them, it's too easy.

Plantera is a special case: her AI is pretty much giving herself up to a static melee user by always sitting on the face. Bosses that take rapid ambushes on the player like Twins would never allow for such easy win. (speaking of which, retinazer phase 2 is designed in a way that also discouraged trying to reach it, which is a whole new headache :sigh:)

The trick of the "getting hit but still hard" fights are that getting hit even in melee armor should be a noticeable impact, but you'd get a decent chunk of the boss off and then go on a recovery (dodging until the HP is full again for next attack, said melee armor would help you to negate some mistakes in process). The current trouble with that is, you have no reason to impose such long breaks (it does take around 30-60 seconds to recover in ideal fight conditions) between 5-10 second attacks, simply because there is no damage bonus compared to using even beam swords all the time, let alone ranged weaponry.

Something as extrapolated as 1.3 Fetid Baghnakhs versus Moon Lord (although they are a tad weak for that task specifically) actually works: you get a lot higher DPS than even pillar weapons but you have to figure out how to carefully approach ML still.

However, the game as of current was making swords viable on bosses as the last priority task, so even if this gets considered this will take a heap of work just as everything else. There is no worthy bandaid solution, and anything serious will cost more than actually provide.

P.S.
It would take a lot of work to make true melee work. The issue is that if true melee works, you can generally kill the boss by standing by them and starting a slugging match, like with baghnakhs.
There are many approaches to this:
- Keep true melee useful for mobs and little else: current situation
- Make a couple of big weapons, with reach a bit higher than gungnir. Flails, whips and boomerangs already work at this range, so making whip-range swords does not seem super necessary to me, besides, scythes do this already.
- Dash in, hit, dash out: you would get close to a boss, hit him for a bit, then disengange and repeat. This would work on true melee without devolving in facetanking, but it would require a lot of work, as devs would need to give a couple of true melee swords effects like the hallowed set, basically a very short on-hit buff to either dps or survivavility that cannot be abused by swapping weapons. Overall, a ton of work, absolutely out of the scope of this thread. Actually, if the night's edge had somewhat higher dps than the phoenix blaster, along with an attack cooldown of 4 seconds, this would work. Basically you could allow true melee swords to perform a power attack every 5 seconds, dealing x10 dmg, or something like that.

Imo there is no good way to make "true melee" possible for bossing without a ton of unpaid work. Would be nice if true melee was viable in terraria 2 though.

Pretty much my thoughts on that, yes. Especially stuff like power attacks. Charging an epic slash for like 1/10-30 of preHM bosses HP would be dope (but then again, some may end up being easily destroyed, simply because of how differently each boss functions)

half-joke solution is to just give swords a multiplier damage on boss enemies (and nerf everything that would stand out). Dirty and cheap, and makes sense (there is a difference between being poked by arrows and sliced in quarters by 8 feet long sword)

The thing is, Relogic has a very clear state about this: they don't want to see melee weapons with melee range in their games used and even more so, don't want to reward high risk high reward gameplay.

The Fetid Baghnakhs did a fairly high DPS at the cost of having a limited range.

Relogic realized it was useful and "fixxed" it.
Now it is no longer useful.

Relogic's view on melee weapons is generally large, infinite range piercing projectiles that deal incredibly high damage per hit.

That's not true. Well, not at most tiers of the game. Yes, the Biome Chest and beyond tiers of melee weapons do tend to be indistinguishable from ranged weapons with infinite ammo. And that's disappointing. But for the majority of the game, "infinite range" dealing "incredibly high damage per hit" is not a thing for melee weapons. The DPS out of most beams is pathetic next to the DPS you'd get at melee range or with a legit ranged weapon.

And the Baghnakhs are still useful; what they aren't anymore is an auto-win button. You can't just tank the damage and kill the enemy before it kills you. Melee tanking is meant to make mistakes survivable, not to let you just not care about getting hit.

Every melee weapon in the game that has range longer than a sword/spear (again, ignoring the high-tier stuff) has some downside to it. Maces can hit at fairly long-ish ranges, but you can't do anything while they're out, so they're not good when you need to respond to enemies on several sides. Yo-yos are pretty strong and long-ranged, but while you're guiding them, you can't do anything else, so they're really bad at being responsive to situations. Boomeranges only hit 1-2 guys before coming back (poor crowd-control), and if you miss, it can take some time before it gets back to you (unresponsive).

Last edited:
Was told no on this when it came up for discussion.
I understand, can you forward that this only makes it more tedious though?

Once you have defeated Plantera and have access to the Jungle Temple you can get an infinite amount of Solar Tablets.
From there on out you only have to go to a Crimson World, Build a few houses, defeat the Wall of Flesh, a Mech Boss (to get the Steampunker to spawn) and use the Solar Tablet.
You can use this world only for the opposite evil solution/other Solar Eclipse shop items and as such get quite some use out of one tablet, but it's still a bit tedious that that's required while the opposite solution could've been sold after Plantera's defeated.

Also could the world's evil biome's seeds be sold at the graveyard as well?
Currently, they're only available in extremely low amounts (1-3) from the Eye of Cthulhu and during Blood Moons from the Dryad.
(There's an item to summon the Blood Moon but it only drops during the Blood Moon, think you can see where this is going...)

Also figured out that the opposite evil seeds are only sold during hardmode.
Was going to build a floating island lake to get the other crates, would've been a nice way to address the Band of Starpower as well.

You can get naturally spawned alt-world Big Mimics in underground biomes, just no way to force spawn them.
Am aware of that and personally I never use the key method.
(kinda question why it even exists, given that this game usually doesn't want you to easily farm enemies)
However I thought it would be useful if a player wanted to get the specific Flesh Knuckles/Putrid Scent Accessories.
Since the artifically created underground evil will almost always be much smaller than the naturally spawned one, you'll run into less mimics and I don't think that players would want to farm for hours just so they can get that one tinker.

Tbh while I understand the idea between the accessories being opposites due to the opposite evils, it would've been better if one of the accessories (preferably the Putrid Scent, also mechanically more fitting) dropped from the Hallowed Mimic while the Corrupt/Crimson Mimic dropped the other.
I believe it's too late to change that now though and the Flesh Knuckles wouldn't fit thematically to the Corruption.

I don't think this would be accepted either and would require a new item as well as slight mimic spawning mechanic changes, but what if the key recipe was changed to 10 Souls + 5 Crystal Shards (Light)/5 Cursed Flames (Night)/5 Ichor (Flesh), giving Crimson Mimics their own keys?

A friend of mine just told me a story about how he made a Master Mode world where the dungeon spawned on top of the desert, making it so that he hardly had an underground desert. I think worldgen still needs a bit of tweaking. If it can't be tweaked, it would be nice if right after world creation, the game showed the player a complete map of the world that went away once the player enters the world for the first time. This way, a player can see if the worldgen screwed them over without having to waste time progressing to the point where they're able to find that out for themselves.
Does this really happen?
As far as I know the Underground Desert always generates on the Jungle's side, which is the opposite of the Dungeon.
Seeing a complete map, to avoid issues of the evil biomes in the Jungle and some other bad generation would be nice, although I doubt that it will happen, we'll probably have to resort to opening the worlds in tedit or other tools.

I don't think forcing the weapon to conform to the enemy's projectile is a good basis for design direction, that's more just a meme than anything else. I'm not saying its necessarily in a solid enough place yet, but it got an effective 30% DPS increase with a corresponding mana cost reduction to keep its mana consumption stable. We can buff it again from there if needed, but I don't necessarily think making it do 160 damage is a good idea just because it matches Red Devil damage.
Personally I always thought that this could be a nice hardmode Demon Scythe and thought that the Red Devil's projectile worked like that as well (doesn't seem to be the case though)
Maybe the projectile could pick up speed as well as hit four enemies just like the Scythe though.
I also do believe that it could do with a slight damage increase and still is a mana drain, while the Red Devil's projectile could do with a slight decrease (still dealing over 100 damage though)
Note that it might not seem high, but several projectiles are spawned, leading to potentially getting hit multiple times vs just bumping into an enemy once.

Flower_Boots.png
Fairy_Boots.png

Regarding the Flower/Fairy Boots
I've tested them now and it's exactly as stated on the wiki.
Meaning that it punishes the wrong players and can still be used for bait farms.

To summarize:
While wearing either of those two boots, any grass/flowers broken won't drop critters.
It doesn't matter if those are spawned by the flower boots or not.
Jungle Bushes seem unaffected.
Spawning flowers via the boots, unequipping them and then breaking said flowers still drops critters.

I'm not saying that this should be a item for bait farms (even if I personally wouldn't mind*) from what I've read, the development team has decided that it shouldn't be, but I'd rather see this fixed properly instead of this "fix".

* Because it's not too difficult to really get bait:
The Keyword is Jungle Grass/Bushes
Bait from regular grass is pretty rare, even with Flower Boots and Grasshoppers simply aren't worth it.
Jungle grass and bushes on the other hand have a decent chance to drop bait, which is also why the Flower Boots were used on it.
The bushes, unlike the regular rocks, even grow back.

You can create a simple Jungle Bait farm using a few layers of Jungle Grass and visit it frequently, getting a nice amount of bait.
Note that Grubbies have pretty low bait power and are just bait fodder while Sluggies are on par with Worms with Buggies being pretty good but also rare, so this isn't a way to instantly win, you get a low power bait for the times you just want to "spam fish" while slightly better ones for other times and a powerful rare one best used with the Sonar Potion.

Other than Jungle Grass I found the rain events to be pretty common in 1.4 which give you a lot of worms which in turn can be upgraded into enchanted nightcrawlers.
The Angler's quest rewards also frequently include bait, so outside of really spam fishing 24/7 I believe what's really holding a player back with fishing is actually lacking the gear and potions to get high enough fishing power.

If the Flower Boots could be used for bait farming they'd simply speed up the jungle farming process, you still wouldn't get worms, or at least not many if you did it on regular grass, unless you wanted to go on for hours and I doubt that many players would farm for that long to get full stacks of Sluggies or Buggies even.

Demon Altar Recipes
Could those please be made available at the Hardmode Anvils?
It might not be thematically fitting, but the game encourages you to smash any of them for ore, making the prehardmode boss spawning items, Night's Edge, Void Items and Ancient Hallowed Armor unobtainable.
Previously this was less of an issue as players would probably not really bother with the prehardmode bosses, but now we have Hallowed Armor which is obtained after the Mechanical Bosses and you might want an additional Void Vault or two as well.

Metal Detector
This is only a 50% drop from the Nymph in normal mode (100% in Expert)
While I get the idea of not being guaranteed to get it/Expert players getting special treatment, I personally find Nymphs an extremely rare encounter which can make this item a real pain to get and lead to getting it too late.
I'd argue that it's most useful in prehardmode when you're still getting the ore armors as well as finding chests and life crystals while getting some more use again in Hardmode (mostly for Adamantite/Titanium) and for the Life Fruit/Strange Plants.

Note that Nymph spawnrates aren't too rare (I got a Lifeform detector early in this normal playthrough and as such could see when one was on screen) but since they don't move and are completely quiet, one will often not find them.
Even with the Lifeform Analyzer, I wouldn't know in which direction to go and at times had them spawn in tiny caves.
Hunter Potions (if you have them and can farm the shark fins...) help a lot, otherwise you'll just have to guess directions by going into one and seeing if the detector changes, then quickly going back to avoid despawning the enemy.
(Unfortunately this still lead to a lot of despawned Nymphs, Pinkies and Undead Miners)
The Metal Detector suffers from the same issue, but since loot doesn't despawn you can figure out the direction and eventually find it.

Blood Moon drops
Might be just me but I have trouble getting the Shark Tooth Necklace and Money Trough in normal mode (also for some reason I seem to get the Money Trough a lot more?) despite creating a flat arena, using water candles and battle potions it usually takes me several blood moons like that to get them.
It does seem like those drops were made with the Expert Mode droprates in mind and a slight drop increase would be appreciated.

Also so far I've only gotten 1-2 Bloody Tears out of like 6 Blood Moons as well.
The way you obtain it is a bit problematic, in order to get more Blood Moons you need rare drops from Blood Moons which you might not even get even if you fight through the entire night...
Perhaps it would help to increase the droprate of it a bit further and boost it for the "Minibosses" (Wantering Eye Fish, Zombie Merman, Blood Eel, Hemogobllin Shark) since those only have the usual 0.5%/1% drop chance...

Speaking of the minibosses, I'd like to do some more tests but I wonder if their difficulty is reasonable compared to when their drops would be useful in the game.

I also wanted to mention the Slap Hand's 1 damage but this was reverted in 1.4.0.5
Kinda wonder what the reason for the original change was, was it supposed to be more of a tool and was seen as too much of a weapon?
Glad that it can slowly take out enemies while keeping them away from you though.

Muramasa
Can the knockback be increased to 3.5?
The sword heavily relies on extra swing speed from the Shadow Armor and Feral Claws to keep enemies at bay, or more like slow them down enough so they're finished off before they get close.
You can see this easily in the Dungeon with the Skeletons.
Prior to the 1.0.5 nerf it used to have a knockback value of 3, and it's predecessor, the Katana, has a knockback value of 3.5.

I can understand if you don't want it to compete with the Night's Edge, however, even now (using Molten Armor, Stinger Necklace & having both reforged to Legendary) I prefer having both swords in the inventory as there are times where the Muramasa simply performs better or is more of a convenience.
It generally comes down to how many hits a enemy takes from the Night's Edge as well as how high it's damage is, if you have swarms of enemies, such as with the Goblin Invasion, the Muramasa's just more convenient to use, similar situation for worms.
I believe that if the Night's Edge had autoswing it would finally outperform the Muramasa though.

Phoenix Blaster
A nerf in 1.1 reduced it's knockback from 4 to 2, making it lower than the Handgun, it's predecessor and crafting material.
Either increase the value to 3 so the knockback stays or reduce that of the Handgun of 2.

Aqua Scepter
I don't really want to nerf this weapon, but for consistency with the Golden Shower (essentially it's hardmode counterpart) the piercing for it's projectiles would need to be reduced from infinite to 5.

Frost Moon Droprates
The Frost Moon droprates are rather low in comparison to the Pumpkin Moon, combined with it's higher difficulty and wave setup lead to a relatively low payout as well as lots of grinding to get the items.
For example:
Mourning Wood 2-20%
Pumpking 1.79-14.29%
Everscream 5.19-7.78%
Santa-NK1 5.55-12.5%
Ice Queen 4.4-7.52%

The Pumpkin Moon enemies also have a 100% drop chance for their Trophies on Wave 15 while it won't go higher than 12.5% for the Frost Moon.
Note that the pets and wing materials have the same droprate as other items for the Pumpkin Moon while the Frost Moon once again makes them rarer, especially the Reindeer Bells which only drop after Wave 15.
I do wonder if those need to be that rare, the Frost Moon used to be endgame content before the Moon Lord and the Bells were unique since they were the first mount, but is it still justified for those to be that rare and that much of a grind to get when you could just start doing the Pillars, take down the Pillar of your preference and get a superior weapon?

Dungeon Spikes
Not sure if I mentioned those before but 60 damage is a lot.
Given the other traps in the Dungeon now (was really glad to have Spectre/Rocket Boots and a Grappling Hook, kinda got flashbacks to Yrimir's Room of Death) I highly recommend not making the Dungeon too difficult.
Otherwise players might just head straight for the Underworld and later go open the Shadow Chests immediately after the Dungeon, rendering a good amount of it's treasures useless since those contain direct upgrades.

Shadow Chests
Is it just me or is the unique item randomized now?
Prior to 1.4 those worked similar to the Sky Chests meaning that there was at least one of every item before the item distribution was random.
This doesn't seem to be the case anymore as from all Shadow Chests in this world (I did have the Metal Detector and did double check) I got:
4 Treasure Magnets
2 Flowers of Fire
1 Sunfury
1 Ornate Shadow Key/Slice of Hell Cake

I did get the rest, minus the Demonic Hellcart which is, just like other Minecarts, Chest only, via fishing but it was still strange and kinda bothering since I don't have a free accessory slot for the magnet and it's use is pretty limited in comparison to the other chest rewards...

Speaking of Chests, is it intentional that the Encumbering Stone can't be obtained via the Desert Crates and only in Chests?
The ~10 Desert Chests in my world had no Encumbering Stone.

Unholy/Blood Water & Powders
I was going to ask if the sand blocks in the recipe could be changed to 1 Rotten Chunk/Vertebra (Those only have a 33% drop chance vs the Pixie Dust's 100%, hence why only one) but then realized that one could use the evil powders to spread the biomes.

Wasn't the intention of the Powders to "remove" the other biomes while the Waters would be used to spread them?
Now we have two items that essentially do the same thing, at least for the evil biomes, and none to remove the hallow easily, which would be useful on the surface, especially now that Sunflowers stop the spread of it as well.

I can see how the idea of the powders spreading the biomes came up, given that they turn critters into their evil versions, but I guess the waters were forgotten when that was implemented.

Moss
When the stone blocks with moss on it get converted into their Hallowed/Corrupt/Crimson Counterpats, the moss is entirely removed and no moss can be placed on those blocks as well, meaning that sooner or later, unless you used the paint scraper to get enough moss (which does drop rather rare) there might be no moss in the underground anymore...
I don't know of an easy solution to this, making stone blocks with moss on it not get infected wouldn't look pretty and adding moss support for those types of stone would require new sprites/tiles.

Stylist Hairstyles
Are those supposed to be that expensive?
My Stylist is living in the Ocean and having enough space, yet the prices seem much higher than back in 1.3.
While you don't change hair every day, it can be a bit annoying when doing character specific playthroughs where you want to get a specific look early on.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that a melee rework would probably have to wait until a new Terraria game (if/when that ever happens) as melee now would probably need to be reworked completely to be fun to true-melee, an interesting blocking or parry mechanic could make getting up next to a boss interesting, but might be too much for how the game is now.
What if the sharknados made a halo around you like the sanguine bats do? They have a passive hitbox, so the would be very effective up close, while also keeping some long-distance effectiveness by means of shark-shooting. It'd make them even more similar to the boss version of the attack too (specially if they can cover you in every direction because holy fugg, those things get everywhere)

300% certain thats pretty much coding a new summon so there's no way that'd make it in, but if it does. I'm totally yeeting progression to get that straight up after HM starts (maybe after getting the hallowed armor, because I suck at this game) after that.
Me and my friend were actually talking about an idea like that in the Terraria discord. The Sharknados acting like a barrier while shooting sharkrons out would be an interesting mechanic, that would make the staff pretty unique compared to the other summons in game.

I have a big issue with Flails. Hopefully it's okay if I post this thread here as well, because I really want to see some changes about this and I haven't got any response yet.

I have a big issue with Flails. Hopefully it's okay if I post this thread here as well, because I really want to see some changes about this and I haven't got any response yet.
I can imagine an item like those old clip on football on a string toys where you can just fling the ball around and would act similarly to how the flails used to pre 1.4, though this goes beyond the realm of balancing haha

I think the Old One's Accessories should each do something different and therefore allow synergy with each other, instead of being locked into one. My idea:

Apprentice Scarf -- +2 Sentries instead of +1
Monk's Belt -- + 15% (Or whatever is fair) damage for Sentries
Squire's Shield -- +15% (Or whatever is fair) knockback for Sentries
Huntress's Buckler -- +15% (Or whatever is fair) attack speed for Sentries

I like Underground Desert's new design, as far as actual sand, sandfall traps, and accessible fossils go.
But I absolutely LOATHE all the larvae and rolling cacti. The combination of the two makes the UD a nightmare. Also, Sandstone Chests are almost impossible to spot if not in a house.

I feel like the deep Ocean could be expanded better, rather than a single "stiffie" of a tunnel.
There's still no alternative to getting Sandstorm in a Bottle, if you don't get a pyramid with one in it.
Flails now are what yoyos should have been from the start.

Speaking of Chests, is it intentional that the Encumbering Stone can't be obtained via the Desert Crates and only in Chests?
The ~10 Desert Chests in my world had no Encumbering Stone.
You know, it's interesting how clever a lot of suggestions seem until you realize that... doing too much could be disastrous to game-play.
The Encumbering Stone caused a TON of early-game issues for new/ veteran players, complaining about not being able to pick up items.
You should've seen the Bugs/ Glitches section, it was hilarious, in a not-so-funny kinda way too.

Thing is, when you change one aspect of the game, even if it seems to be a no-brainer, it can effect 10 other things you didn't consider.
That's why it's important to consult other, equally intelligent people, before doing even the most minor of adjustments.
I can tell you right now, even with everything else you suggested, that placing the Encumbering Stone in crates is a bad idea... 🤔🍹

I will just comment on other weapons that haven't seen comments here.

Blade of Grass: Due to the broadsword you did get soon after (Firey Greatsword) this doesen't even feel like it's worth spending resources. Of course, you have to get it for Night's Edge, but I do think it should at least be usable for a bit (small buff).

Christmas Tree Sword: This is a better weapon now for sure, but it feels weird to use, you don't aim it to hit something, rather to something get hit by it. I like it that way too, but it makes this weapon so much worst against certain enemies, I suggest than the projectiles don't get destroyed when they touch a wall/ground, if that somehow makes this sword too strong, just increases it's projectile speed a little, especially the star, the star could deal full base damage too (buff).

Phantom Phoenix: I think the buff was excessive for a formerly moderate weapon, this is my favorite bow and I'm happy I can keep using it for so long now, but I do think it can be toned down a little (small nerf).

Tsunami and Phantasm: Equally, I do like both of these a lot, but they make all weapons from other classes you get at this tier look like baby toys (nerf).

Morning Star: Why does this feel like a melee weapon? If you use a strong summoner set chances are you will try to use this to kill things rather than your minions. Problem is, you're using a set with negative defense and dying in one hit in master mode because of it, and to get the range you need to be safe, you need a modifier that reduces dps. I liked the idea of sacrificing a stat for another, but with a whip like this, it's just painful (buff).

Crystal Vile Shard: Increase damage, that's what this weapon needs (buff).

Meteor Staff: Reduce mana cost (buff).

Magical Harp: Increase damage (buff).

Stardust Dragon: Guys, don't hate me for it, but I gotta say it... it's way too good. The best fix I can have it so summoners aren't sad is to slightly increase the damage boost the dragon gets per segment and reduce it's base damage (nerf).

Last edited:
I have a complaint. The hemoglobin shark makes the most annoyingly loud sound on the planet. Why in the world would anyone think that thing needs the same painfully dreadful hurt sound as the dinos from the defender event. Remove the sound and replace it with something else. Not kidding. It's insanely loud, and me and my friend have to turn our volume down or mute every time.

After trying Christmas Tree Sword a bit more I realize that even at it's best, it's not really a good weapon, it's DPS pale in comparison to other weapons, even the Terrablade is more reliable and can deal much more damage. Increasing the base damage by 30% might not even be enough. It's way worse than I initially thought.
But it's still true it's still much better than it's pre 1.4 form, goes to show how bad it used to be.

Also, auto-swing just needs to be standard on most weapons. There's really no reason otherwise unless the weapon has some kind of alternate effect when you hold attack.
There is a mod called Omniswing that does that. It's fun, but generally pretty much every weapon that doesn't have auto-swing become immediately broken because of it, Phoenix Blaster and Venus Magnum are top offenders on that. So yeah, it sounds fun but it's what keeping a huge part of balance now. Wouldn't want it in vanilla.

Oh, and PLEASE make dashing something that can be assigned to a key
Having it tied to movement keys is just awful.

Also, auto-swing just needs to be standard on most weapons. There's really no reason otherwise unless the weapon has some kind of alternate effect when you hold attack.
I don't agree at all for both. Having dashing tied with movement is genius mainly because once you finish dashing you instantly go full speed and you learn how to control it pretty quickly. As for the other thing when I started playing I did want this badly, but once I entered hard-mode you get mimics and one of their drops is the titan glove which allows auto swing on all melee weapons. If you want a good sword and don't have the titan glove and you're hard-mode go for the cutlass it's a god saver in early hard-mode and it's built with auto swing.

This would make a lot of weapons broken and you would need to nerf them into the ground.

HOWEVER, you could implement a solution similar to the Bandit from Risk of Rain, where the weapon autofires if you hold it down, but to achieve maximum firing speed you need to press the button repeatedly manually.

This would make a lot of weapons broken and you would need to nerf them into the ground.
The only thing that's broken about it is people's mice. If you can rapidly keep clicking to keep a sword going, then you can just as well make it auto-swing and save your mouse.
The attack speed shouldn't change anyway.

Thankfully there are only a few non-auto-swing weapons in hardmode, where it really starts to matter. Would be nice to see the Beam Sword and Chloro Claymore changed though. And it would also be nice to see the Venus Magnum changed too, now that I think of it. I absolutely never use the thing, due to having to manually click.

But then again, not every weapon needs to be useful for every single person; I'm sure there are people out there that like these kind of weapons.

Thankfully there are only a few non-auto-swing weapons in hardmode, where it really starts to matter. Would be nice to see the Beam Sword and Chloro Claymore changed though. And it would also be nice to see the Venus Magnum changed too, now that I think of it. I absolutely never use the thing, due to having to manually click.
I second this, particularly the Beam Sword – which functions as an upgrade to the Enchanted Sword, but for some reason does not autoswing like the Enchanted Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom