Biomes & Nature Ocean Expansion

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit

BiomeBannerOcean.png

Ocean Expansion

kdcROYP.png

With 1.3 heavily on the way, and the latest update's turn towards marine life, I present a brand new suggestion based similarly off of my Bee Expansion thread, introducing all new ways to make the ocean more enjoyable for all! Lets get started!

First off, I suggest that the ocean should be about 1.5x as long as it is now, and should get have more jagged slopes than smooth hills. Or it could follow physics described in @crashboom10's suggestion for round worlds.

Second, I suggest that seashells will naturally regenerate on the beach, with a maximum of 50 in the entire biome at one time. Because everyone loves seashells.

Third, I suggest that the aqua scepter does shoots twice as far and does 6 extra damage underwater. Just for fun.

kdcROYP.png

57508-19c6ba7af74255fc1eaa8c77bfa3b60c.jpg
57507-9bc291fff6c92020f6c0fc3a64662401.jpg

Shoalstone

Shoalstone is a new block that generates about five blocks below sand on the beach and in the actual ocean. It makes much more sense than having 30 something blocks of sand, and then suddenly stone. It also has a brick form, crafted with two of itself near a furnace.

57505-847fde40058d90bd1237dde18db8f05b.jpg

Sponges

Sponges generate on the ocean floor in large clumps of 10-15. They will slowly spread until there are at most 20 in a 15 block radius.

57506-9f17ca152f85f5799437bad4c9755c53.jpg

Evaporator
57505-847fde40058d90bd1237dde18db8f05b.jpg
x15
Iron_Bar.png
x15
Wire.png
x10

The evaporator, when powered, will destroy all liquids that pass through it. Useful for fountains, drains, and airlocks.

kdcROYP.png

57504-15b0a5aa8c3e07bc0702547dd447fb6d.jpg

Coral Armor

Helmet
Coral.png
x15
Glowstick.png
x8
Glass.png
x10
4 Defense
3x Faster healing underwater
Increases breathing time by 20%

Breastplate
Coral.png
x18
Pink_Jellyfish_%28bait%29.png
x2
5 Defense
Your attacks deal 2-3 extra damage underwater, shown with pink zaps

Greaves
Coral.png
x13
57510-6b0da32f00591b7aa0b85a3a7d16c77a.jpg
x1
3 Defense
Slightly less powerful flipper potion effect

Set bonus : A green light 3 blocks wide and 8 blocks long will glow from your visor, but only underwater.

So how's this armor for balance? It has 13 defense, and to make it difficult to obtain you have to fish for pink jellyfish and kill clams (more info about them later).

kdcROYP.png

Okay, so heres a big problem that all of us have encountered.

Fish tools.

They are one of the most overpowered early mode items in the game. The reaver shark, for example, is able to mine cobalt and palladium, and is faster than the hellstone pickaxe. The Fish tools literally ruin the entire system of upgrading your tools. Lets fix that in the most logical way possible, by making them enemies that spawn very rarely after you defeat the goblin army. This will make obtaining the tools much more fun and balanced.

Purple_Clubberfish.png

Purple Clubberfish
Spawns in the corruption
250 Health
15 Defense
28 Damage

Attacks the player by ramming into them, backing up, and repeating the process.

Reaver_Shark.png

Reaver Shark
Spawns in the ocean
300 Health
16 Defense
35 Damage

Attacks the player similarly to the cursed hammer, by charging up while spinning, and zooming towards the player, bashing them through, and repeating.

Rockfish.png

Rock Fish
Spawns in the underground and caverns.
200 Health
8 Defense
38 Damage

Attacks the player by speeding through them, turning around, and repeating.

Sawtooth_Shark.png

Sawtooth Shark
Spawns in the ocean
320 Health
12 Defense
16 Damage

Attacks the player by locking onto them and doing continual damage with its saw.

Swordfish.png

Swordfish
Spawns in the ocean
260 Health
15 Defense
40 Damage

Attacks the player by speeding through them, turning around, and repeating.

Obsidian_Swordfish.png

Obsidian Swordfish
Spawns in the underworld
420 Health hue
26 Defense
54 Damage first hit
24 Continual damage
NOTE : Spawns after you complete 40 fishing quests.
Attacks the player by leaping out of the lava and stabbing them through, dealing the first hit damage, and then going back into the lava with the player stuck on its snout, dealing 24 continual damage. From there it will only die if the player can kill it while being dragged around.

kdcROYP.png

Okay, so... enemies. The ocean has quite a few, but I have a pretty unique idea for another.

Clam
35 Health
14 Defense

The clam is a new enemy that spawns on the ocean floor, and looks like... well.. a clam. I had too much trouble trying to sprite it, so if someone else wants to, go ahead. It is about 2 blocks long with a grayish shell. When the player gets within 8 blocks of it, it will sink into the sand, and become a potentially fatal trap. When the player comes comes within 3 blocks of it, it will shoot a purplish "tongue" out of the sand, and drag the player under. Then they will take suffocation damage, thanks to the sand. They do no damage by themselves.

They have a 2% chance of dropping this.

57509-87706173a4f39455b288b957368847f4.jpg

Iron Bubble

The iron bubble is an accessory that will make the player float in water.

And a 5% chance of dropping this.

57510-6b0da32f00591b7aa0b85a3a7d16c77a.jpg

Clam Carapace

The clam carapace makes for a beautiful 2 block tall decoration, emitting a small pink glow. It is also used in the coral armor greaves.

kdcROYP.png

And that covers just about all the ideas I had for expanding the pre-hardmode ocean experience. Please rate the poll, respond with helpful feedback while avoiding criticizion, tell me how the sprites I make are, and thank you for reading this little article I have put together!

Attachments

• Coral_Armor.png
    Coral_Armor.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Sponge_Block.png
    Sponge_Block.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 332
  • Evaporator.png
    Evaporator.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 355
  • Shoalstone_Brick.png
    Shoalstone_Brick.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Shoalstone.png
    Shoalstone.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Iron_Bubble.png
    Iron_Bubble.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Clam_Carapace.png
    Clam_Carapace.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I like the idea of making the fish tools mobs. That is definitely the highlight of this idea. However, I still want to get the fish weapons from the Ocean. I dunno, it just... doesn't feel right to have the Swordfish and Obsidian Swordfish become mobs. And the Purple Clubberfish would give a third weapon so it doesn't seem redundant.

One thing I really dislike is the idea of the Aqua Scepter in water chests. Why? It may fit with the Ocean, but it also fits with the Dungeon's other loot. And the nerf would ruin one of my favorite pre-HM weapons.

I like the idea of making the fish tools mobs. That is definitely the highlight of this idea. However, I still want to get the fish weapons from the Ocean. I dunno, it just... doesn't feel right to have the Swordfish and Obsidian Swordfish become mobs. And the Purple Clubberfish would give a third weapon so it doesn't seem redundant.

One thing I really dislike is the idea of the Aqua Scepter in water chests. Why? It may fit with the Ocean, but it also fits with the Dungeon's other loot. And the nerf would ruin one of my favorite pre-HM weapons.

I'll remove the water scepter part. That was a last jazz-up idea I wanted to try, and I didn't think it would work. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't necessarily prove of this suggestion despite believing the ocean needs more improvements the most important part is the added rare mobs that drop as weapons part. while an interesting idea it is difficult to manage as the fish are at different levels of balance. In particular the obsidian sword fish has the second highest base damage of any spear balanced by the fact that it can only be caught by the hot line fishing rod only obtainable in hardmode worlds with this idea the spear fish become available far sooner

overall it basically removes any motivation to fish in these areas as it is the tools that interest me... so no support.

The armor is an interesting idea though have you thou about integrating it with the diving helmet?

But, the shark tools are rare/difficult to get. Unless you are lucky, you are going to shred through bait quickly trying to get them. Also, it'd still be easy to get them considering you could just bait them onto land.

I don't necessarily prove of this suggestion despite believing the ocean needs more improvements the most important part is the added rare mobs that drop as weapons part. while an interesting idea it is difficult to manage as the fish are at different levels of balance. In particular the obsidian sword fish has the second highest base damage of any spear balanced by the fact that it can only be caught by the hot line fishing rod only obtainable in hardmode worlds with this idea the spear fish become available far sooner

overall it basically removes any motivation to fish in these areas as it is the tools that interest me... so no support.

The armor is an interesting idea though have you thou about integrating it with the diving helmet?

I'll make the obsidian sword fish spawn only after the WoF is defeated. Also, after you obtain the tool fish found in areas you lose complete interest to fish there? What about all the potion and quest fish?

But, the shark tools are rare/difficult to get. Unless you are lucky, you are going to shred through bait quickly trying to get them. Also, it'd still be easy to get them considering you could just bait them onto land.

Sorry what are you talking about? You just started talking in the middle of a sentence.

Good ideas, but why would sponge generate underwater? That doesn't make much sense. Also, what would the sponge do? Oceans should generate anywhere, rather than two at each side of the world, but limited to 2-3 per world. I really like the coral armor idea, but it should enable you to breathe for longer underwater. The best idea was definitely to have the tools appear as monsters, as they are a tiny bit unbalanced as of now.

Good ideas, but why would sponge generate underwater? That doesn't make much sense. Also, what would the sponge do? Oceans should generate anywhere, rather than two at each side of the world, but limited to 2-3 per world. I really like the coral armor idea, but it should enable you to breathe for longer underwater. The best idea was definitely to have the tools appear as monsters, as they are a tiny bit unbalanced as of now.

Sponges would do nothing. And the part about oceans generating anywhere... why? And I didn't allow coral armor to extend breathing time because there are already so many ways to increase it.

Sponges would do nothing. And the part about oceans generating anywhere... why? And I didn't allow coral armor to extend breathing time because there are already so many ways to increase it.
Oceans should generate anywhere because it's a pain to go to each end of the world to get to an ocean, and it would be nice to have oceans anywhere in the world, not only creating biome diversity, but also so that it could be closer to other biomes, and cause some interesting combos. Coral armor should increase breath at least a little, since it's sprite has a visor, meaning it would make more sense for it to increase breathing time.

Oceans should generate anywhere because it's a pain to go to each end of the world to get to an ocean, and it would be nice to have oceans anywhere in the world, not only creating biome diversity, but also so that it could be closer to other biomes, and cause some interesting combos. Coral armor should increase breath at least a little, since it's sprite has a visor, meaning it would make more sense for it to increase breathing time.

I'll make it increase breathing time by 20%. Anyways, changing the entire way oceans generate is up to another suggestion.

I'll make the obsidian sword fish spawn only after the WoF is defeated. Also, after you obtain the tool fish found in areas you lose complete interest to fish there? What about all the potion and quest fish?
oceans don't really have any notable potion fish those come from specialized biomes with one exception the tool fish all come from the ocean...

There's a fair bit here, so I've only commented on the things I have an opinion on. Everything else is neutral. The TL;DR: I support a more interesting Ocean biome, but not all of the things mentioned.

First off, I suggest that the ocean should be about 1.5x as long as it is now, and should get have more jagged slopes than smooth hills.
A bigger and more varied Ocean would be great. I used to imagine the ocean as actually being something long and deep. When I got some breathing upgrades to explore it, I find out it's about one screen wide with a smooth curve and then being entirely flat. Boo!
It definitely needs spicing up. Where are the reefs? Where are the sandbars? Where are the tropical islands? (Stone for support, sand for the island and put a palm tree or two on top. Done!) Where's the buried treasure and sunken ships? (Just make a small structure out of wood.)

Second, I suggest that seashells will naturally regenerate on the beach, with a maximum of 50 in the entire biome at one time. Because everyone loves seashells.
Don't they already regenerate? Or is it just coral? Do any ocean items regenerate? If they don't, I support that they should.

Shoalstone is a new block that generates about five blocks below sand on the beach and in the actual ocean. It makes much more sense than having 30 something blocks of sand, and then suddenly stone. It also has a brick form, crafted with four of itself near a furnace.
Sorry, but I don't like this unless Shoalstone has more that can be done with it. Maybe sandstone, like how the pyramids have sandstone bricks.
Sand + Stone = Sandstone
Sandstone + Furnace = Sandstone Brick

Sponges generate on the ocean floor in large clumps of 10-15. They will slowly spread until there are at most 20 in a 15 block radius.
Is there any purpose to a sponge? Crafting, decoration or otherwise?

The evaporator, when powered, will destroy all liquids surrounding it. Useful for fountains and airlocks.
I agree we need a liquid disposal solution (my suggestion was to empty buckets into Toilets / Sinks), but I'm not sure about this. I preferred your drain idea. This sounds too haphazard. Alternately, make it so the Evaporator destroys any liquid that flows into it rather than liquids in a space around it. Just as useful, but more easily and finely controlled.

The iron bubble is an accessory that will cause each of the player's bubbles to last 1.3 times longer than normal.
How do Iron Bubbles compare to the Breathing Reed, Diving Helmet and Neptune's Shell?

The clam carapace makes for a beautiful 2 block tall decoration, emitting a small pink glow. It is also used in the coral armor greaves.
Yay! Decorations! We need more. :)

Final suggestion: there are no hardmode Ocean enemies. That's another thing you can expand on, if you want.

I support the clams respawning and the new blocks (Although I think Shoalstone brick should only require 2 blocks). Now about the coral armour, you should keep the entire thing basic and only have one unique buff like the rest of the armours.

Sorry, but I don't like this unless Shoalstone has more that can be done with it. Maybe sandstone, like how the pyramids have sandstone bricks.
Sand + Stone = Sandstone
Sandstone + Furnace = Sandstone Brick
If you have a suggestion, I'm open to it. The only purpose for it to exist is because it's supposed to look like a block that has been worn out by the sea.
Is there any purpose to a sponge? Crafting, decoration or otherwise?
Yep, just crafting and decoration.
I agree we need a liquid disposal solution (my suggestion was to empty buckets into Toilets / Sinks), but I'm not sure about this. I preferred your drain idea. This sounds too haphazard. Alternately, make it so the Evaporator destroys any liquid that flows into it rather than liquids in a space around it. Just as useful, but more easily and finely controlled.
Yeah, I suppose it would be much better if the liquids disappeared when they flowed through it. I'll change that.
How do Iron Bubbles compare to the Breathing Reed, Diving Helmet and Neptune's Shell?
I'm not sure... I'll change the function to making the player more buoyant.
Final suggestion: there are no hardmode Ocean enemies. That's another thing you can expand on, if you want.
I think I'll leave that up to other people to think about. :)
Thank you for your helpful feedback. :happy:
[DOUBLEPOST=1435072788,1435072631][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow man, this is probably much better than my Abyss, and I'm kinda jealous of your spriting skills, and the idea in general.
Jealous of this? o3o
All of my sprites are just resprites of pre-existing stuff, and it took a long time to think of all the ideas for this thread. A lot of stuff has changed between my first few concepts and the finished product. Take my bee expansion thread, for example. Also, the format changes EVERYTHING.

Awesome sprites and awesome ideas! I always felt that the ocean was a bit underrated.:D

I can't agree more! I'm sure everyone feels this way about the ocean. ATM it's like a river with some extra Sealife. It really needs to be larger. The only reason I believe it hasn't been increased in size is because the devs have nothing to put in it! :D

Anyway, great idea, I have full support of it!

Also, I feel I should either start singing this or get you to make it the theme song. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom