Game Mechanics 'Round' Worlds

Do you like the idea of 'Round' (connected) Worlds?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

crashboom10

Terrarian
So say you spawn in a small world, and you start exploring to the right and you reach the ocean and walk across the crater-like bottom and it starts ramping back up. After a bit more exploration you find that still going right you bump into the little house you built at spawn.

This idea is something so small yet so smooth, it could greatly increase the feel of exploration and love for exploring. I think it wouldn't be too hard to do, but it would be kinda cool. This idea comes from StarBound, a fun space game very similar to Terraria, based on a space theme, I got on the game one day and started heading right, after dieing a few times and trying again, I noticed empty chests, holes through mountains that I had previously made, and that is when this was made.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea! I think it would be a nice add on, also, is this a good place to post this? Comment!

I like this, but it ruins the Wall of Flesh boss battle, because you have a limited amount of hell to get through. Sorry, but no support.

Here is my idea to make it so the WoF has a limit on round worlds.

When you spawn it, it will have a feet counter on the top right of the screen (1ft. equals 1 block.) It will end the battle when it reaches zero. The amount of blocks in the counter is the length that it would be for the battle if it was not a round world.

Is this making any sense to you?

When you spawn it, it will have a feet counter on the top right of the screen (1ft. equals 1 block.) It will end the battle when it reaches zero. The amount of blocks in the counter is the length that it would be for the battle if it was not a round world.

That would be kinda cool.

I like this, but it ruins the Wall of Flesh boss battle, because you have a limited amount of hell to get through. Sorry, but no support.
I don't really see the problem. It's very rare to reach the end of Hell even in a small world. If you're in a large world, theres virtually no risk. Having the WoF following you around the center of the world would be fine. One boss battle is not a reason to not support a good suggestion.

Or you can just do what suprman1114 said and have a set limit at the beginning.

I don't know about this... Although something like this would give the illusion of making the world bigger, that illusion would be broken as soon as the player realizes that they've gone in a circle. Although currently there are walls at the end of the world that stop the player from going any further, they still give the impression that there's something out there just out of reach. Although they leave the player wanting more, there's still a possibility that there's still more out there, and replacing them with more of the same removes that possibility. It's almost like a cliffhanger in a book or TV, and filling it this way would be like if that cliffhanger had a disappointing outcome, or it was ignored entirely.

Of course, that's probably just me looking too deep into this... I'm prone to doing that sometimes.

I have a problem with this on multiple levels.

First off, worlds will look completely glued together once this is implimented, if worldgen isn't fixed accordingly: Oceans spawn on different altitudes in most worlds, caverns will randomly stop, etc etc. I'm sure this can be fixed by doing a huge overhaul to worldgen - but would this affect "normal" worlds as well?

Secondly, Terraria. To me, the meta is that the world is a terrarium for your little characters, where you care for them like you care for your (example) ants in a terrarium. You watch them develop, build their bases, fight the evil, etc (both the ants and the characters, obviously). While having a round world would make Terraria more realistic, (seemingly) expansive and much more logical, it doesn't tie into this. I imagine spherical-world Terraria to look like Reus, if zoomed out way much.

This second problem I'm having here is entirely personal, and seriously holds me back from wanting to have this feature implimented.

Bumping is actually against our rules here, please do not do it again :)
Expectations When Posting

We ask that Community members strive for a certain level of quality content in their posts. As such, please avoid:
  • Single image/meme/word responses.

• Posting +/-1 (use the like button instead).

• Thread bumps without substantial additional content.

• Multi/Double posting and duplicate threads.

• Begging for anything, likes/games/follows/subscriptions/etc.

Okay, so... I'm in my programing class right now, but I threw together a picture of a map I found and it kinda shows what the world would be like, but they would have to rethink the worldgen of the game to make the oceans to be level. I could have smoothed it out, and made the hell even, and no creases in between, but it's not worth it because to give it more of an idea, you would have to create a huge picture, and to completely express my idea, it would be and infinite picture, maybe in the next few days I will throw together a longer pic that is smoothed out that will show more than 1 ocean in the map. Until then, thanks for the comments! AN ERROR HAPPENED, I WILL POST THE PIC LATER.

Okay, so... I'm in my programing class right now, but I threw together a picture of a map I found and it kinda shows what the world would be like, but they would have to rethink the worldgen of the game to make the oceans to be level. I could have smoothed it out, and made the hell even, and no creases in between, but it's not worth it because to give it more of an idea, you would have to create a huge picture, and to completely express my idea, it would be and infinite picture, maybe in the next few days I will throw together a longer pic that is smoothed out that will show more than 1 ocean in the map. Until then, thanks for the comments! AN ERROR HAPPENED, I WILL POST THE PIC LATER.
i can't wait to see the pic! SUPPORT!

Also it wouldn't 'ruin' the WoF battle.

The Wall is special, as success is dependant on skill, not on if you make silly mistakes
Having it go on like this means it is easy to cheat. Dart Traps fire across the world! It would make bosses easier by just "hold D to win" with Asphalt.

The Wall is special, as success is dependant on skill, not on if you make silly mistakes
Having it go on like this means it is easy to cheat. Dart Traps fire across the world! It would make bosses easier by just "hold D to win" with Asphalt.
Actually, dart traps dissappear after a specific distance, so that wouldn't work. I still don't like this idea though.

Back
Top Bottom