Weapons & Equip Photovoltaic Cell

Is it good?

• Yes, all of it.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Some of it is good, but I can't support the whole thing.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Nope, bad idea.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
I wanted to sprite everything here by myself, but... I don't have that kind of patience. Whatever.

Some of you might remember my Photosynthetic Crystal accessory suggestion:

Photosynthetic Crystal
Equipable
Raises HP/mana regeneration by up to 3HP/5 mana per second and movement speed by up to 20% based on the amount of light the player is exposed to.
(Notice that the stats are a bit different from how they were in the TO thread.)
Crafted from: 30 Chlorophyte Bars, 30 Crystal Shards.
Or: May be dropped (10%) when Plantera's Bulb is broken.

Well, here's another accessory suggestion:

Voltaic Cell
Equipable
Allows wearer to charge electricity by moving. Charged electricity manifests in a crackling glow around the player, which illuminates the surroundings.
When an enemy is close, the stored electricity is discharged (hitscan) towards it, dealing 40 damage up to 5 times on a full charge. But every spark reduces the charge level, forcing the player to run around to charge it up again.
Dropped by:

electriceel.png

(shaddup I know it's too short to be an eel)
Electric Eel
500 max life
35 defense
80 damage (contact)
50 damage (spark)

Spawns uncommonly in the Underground Jungle. It charges over time, giving itself the same glow that the Voltaic Cell provides. If a player is close, it zaps them once, then charges up again.
Drops: Voltaic Cell (5%).

Now, as you might have guessed from the title:

Photovoltaic Cell
Equipable
Raises HP/mana regeneration and movement speed the same way the Photosynthetic Crystal does.
Exposure to light speeds up the rate at which the electricity charges for the Voltaic Cell component.
Crafted: Photosynthetic Crystal, Voltaic Cell @ Tinkerer's Workshop.

What do you think? A fun toy to play with? Or maybe not? Let me know below.

Last edited:
I remember that one trainer phone you use to call other trainers..That phone charges when you walk...
Support :)

I like the Voltaic Cell a lot, but have 2 questions concerning it.

1. Is it a buff? I'm a little confused on the mechanics of it, is it essentially like the Beetle Defense buff that loses a "power level" per use?

2. How's the knockback for it look? I ask this, because, if it should be used as a "repellent" or damaging type of accessory.

Just make sure the light from the cell doesn't count, or at least not by much. Don't want it self charging.
It's a dim light... and the cell charges slowly over time as you run, anyways. You still benefit from exposure to external light sources. The auto-induction doesn't increase the base charging rate by all that much.

I like the Voltaic Cell a lot, but have 2 questions concerning it.

1. Is it a buff? I'm a little confused on the mechanics of it, is it essentially like the Beetle Defense buff that loses a "power level" per use?
It is basically a buff, but an invisible one. How do I explain it... the light increases gradually, and delivering a shock decreases it by a certain amount.

2. How's the knockback for it look? I ask this, because, if it should be used as a "repellent" or damaging type of accessory.
Since it can't keep attacking indefinitely, I think it's okay to give it weak knockback. Magnet Sphere-ish.

I like this! The tooltip for chlorophyte ore is "Reacts to the light", but it doesn't actually do anything of the sort ingame.

Since it can't keep attacking indefinitely, I think it's okay to give it weak knockback. Magnet Sphere-ish.

Magnet sphere has a Knockback value of 6, that's enough to keep Post Plantera Dungeon enemies at bay Lol. But I like that, seems very generous.

You answered my questions too, no reason to not support.

I support this idea. Can it be craftable from something electric eel always drop? It can require a hundred if you think grinding is needed...

Back
Top Bottom