NPCs & Enemies Thunderstorms- Transferred from TO

stormconure

Duke Fishron
I orginally had this on TO, so I ported it over here. However, I have since rethought it and I gave it a COMPLETE overhaul. When I first posted it I wasn't the best suggester (some of you may remember that), and this was a kind of... Meh suggestion. I like to think I have gotten better at suggesting, so here is the NEW AND IMPROVED:

Thunderstorms

The Main Premise
Similarly to Rain, Thunderstorms are a weather event. They only happen during Hardmode, during which they have a 20% chance to occur INSTEAD of a normal rainstorm. (35% if Plantera has been defeated.) All in all, they aren't that much different from rain, other than the fact that they are just generally harder. Here are a few mechanic changes:

-Every now and then, lightning will strike, dealing 10-25 damage to all entities nearby, including players, NPCs, and mobs. It is impossible to tell where the lightning will strike; it just happens. However, it can be prevented by building things above your world like skybridges; similarly to fallen stars and meteorites, lightning hits the first block it comes to as it comes down from the sky.

-The outside light level is comparable to that of an eclipse during the day and is almost completely dark during the night. Spawn rates of all enemies are increased significantly.

-Occasionally, small "Whirlwinds" will come. They are about the same size as Duke Fishron's Sharknadoes and will move very fast from one side of the world to the other. Getting hit by one will do no damage but throw you high in the air. This knockback is immune to the effects of the Cobalt Shield and will break grapples. You simply must dodge them to avoid it.

-Thunderstorms last about half as long as rain and after they are over they have a 40% chance to convert to a normal rainstorm.

New Enemies
(Sprites coming soon. I'm going to start MS Paint over the weekend.)
There are only a few additional enemies that can spawn during thunderstorms. Here are the things I have so far:

Thunderslime
HP: 400
Defense: 20
Damage: 30 contact, 20 spark
Slimes are everywhere. And thunderstorms are no exception. These slimes hop fast and high, and will occasionally throw damaging sparks at the player similarly to spiked slimes. May inflict Electrified.

Dark Nimbus
HP: 750
Defense: 35
Damage: 45 lightning bolts
Basically an upgraded Angey Nimbus. They try to get above you, then fire lightning down on you. May inflict Electrified.
Drops: Plasma Ball 50%

Items and Weapons
With this suggestion, I'm hoping to introduce a whole new "element" to the game: lightning. Here are some weapons based on that. (The plasma balls that the dark nimbuses drop are simply crafting materials, nothing else)

All of these weapons have 2 things in common: they can inflict Electrified (explained below) and they have a Chain Lightning effect. Every time an enemy gets hit, an electric spark travels from it to all enemies up to 3 blocks away. These minisparks do half the original damage and can keep travelling to more and more enemies, provided they are close enough. So you can hit an entire line of enemies with just a single swing of your sword.

Spark Rapier
Crafting: 3 plama balls, 5 adamantite/titanium bars, 5 souls of might
Damage: 50 melee, may inflict Electrified
Knockback: low
Attack Speed: very fast

Thunder Blaster
Crafting: 3 plasma balls, 15 cobalt/palladium bars, 5 souls of fright
Damage: 46 ranged, may inflict Electrified
Knockback: low
Attack Speed: average
Velocity: very fast
Ammo: bullets; converted into Thnder Bullets

Lightning Rod
Crafting: 3 plasma balls, 10 mythril/orichalcum bars, 5 souls of sight
Damage: 53 magic, may inflict Electrified
Knockback: none
Mana: 10
Upgraded nimbus rod. Shoots up to 3 clouds that strike any passing enemies with lightning.

Nimbus Staff
Crafting: 3 plasma balls, 5 of each boss soul
Damage: 57 summon
Minion: summons angry nimbus that rains on enemies.

Debuff: Electrified- life is draining at the same rate as On Fire, but movement speed is tripled. Also, touching any mob or player while electrified has a 30% chance to transfer it to them, like a contagion.

Am I missing anything? Please tell me how I can improve! What do you think?

Last edited:
A nice idea, but it's a bit mundane for a Hardmode event, imo. In any case, I'll stick with Acid Rain just because there's more content.

Maybe after you fight the Golem or something, the floating islands get all this stuff?
So the floating islands start having storms on them? Think about that for a sec. If it's storming up in the sky, wouldn't it also be storming on the ground? Either i'm not understanding you, or you need to rethink that (no offense)

So the floating islands start having storms on them? Think about that for a sec. If it's storming up in the sky, wouldn't it also be storming on the ground? Either i'm not understanding you, or you need to rethink that (no offense)
I think I was basically saying that the Floating Islands need a hardmode version.

I think I was basically saying that the Floating Islands need a hardmode version.
Ok, that's a good idea, but it seems totally unrelated to thunderstorms- unless it's like a thundercloud biome, in which case i still think it deserves its own thread. I want to keep this as a weather event, like as the title said on the old forum, "an upgrade to rain".

Thunderbird: thanks to Zidane for the suggestion. 700 HP, 35 defense, 65 damage, very fast speed. Immune to lightning damage. Can sometimes drop feathers, electrified shards, or rarely souls of flight. Can inflict Electrified. Same AI as Demon Eye.

I would give thunderbird much more health, somewhere around archwyvern status at around 6,000, and make it shoot lightning bolts.

Ok, that's a good idea, but it seems totally unrelated to thunderstorms- unless it's like a thundercloud biome, in which case i still think it deserves its own thread. I want to keep this as a weather event, like as the title said on the old forum, "an upgrade to rain".
I have a few ideas
1) A lightning trap.
2) Electrical fencing
3) More electric stuff?

How about lightning creates a small explosion? You would probably have to decrease the strike rate though. And if players have sky bridges, this even could be proven useless with the bridges blocking lightning.

How about lightning creates a small explosion? You would probably have to decrease the strike rate though. And if players have sky bridges, this even could be proven useless with the bridges blocking lightning.
I never thought about skybridges... I guess lightning could completely ignore all blocks until stopping at 0 depth. And about explosions, with what i just said about ingoring all blocks, im not quite sure how that could work...

Also, keep in mind that one of the crucial items for the weapons drop from lightning strikes, so players may not even want to block off lightning.

I never thought about skybridges... I guess lightning could completely ignore all blocks until stopping at 0 depth. And about explosions, with what i just said about ingoring all blocks, im not quite sure how that could work...

Also, keep in mind that one of the crucial items for the weapons drop from lightning strikes, so players may not even want to block off lightning.
Okay, then here's another idea. Lightning only spawns beneath floating islands. Eh? Also, how about lightning acts like small meteorites, crating shocked blocks that deal damage or something like that only lasts during the storm.

Okay, then here's another idea. Lightning only spawns beneath floating islands. Eh? Also, how about lightning acts like small meteorites, crating shocked blocks that deal damage or something like that only lasts during the storm.
That actually makes sense, considering clouds are below the islands. Also, islands shouldnt be affected by rain.

Back
Top Bottom