Blocks & Decoration Placeable Drinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice sprites. I suggest a range of canned drinks as well.
I can give it a try, though cans, being significantly smaller, would be a lot more difficult to make identifiable in pixel form considering how close I was already cutting it with the bottles. Definitely a consideration, though it might take a bit to experiment with, and I may not be able to pull it off at the sizes necessary, so if I never do get back to this, it's because I'm just not quite good enough, haha. =3=;;

These sprites.. are phenomenal.. :dryadeek:

How about placed ale?

And rootbeer, because reasons.
I had some root beer in the works to go with the soda bottles but didn't have enough for a full line and didn't want to play root beer favorites by only including one (which is why the Red Bull is there instead). I may do another set of non-alcoholic bottles including stuff like root beer, ginger ale, orange soda, and whatever else to fill the gaps if necessary.

As for placeable ale, I imagine that'd just look like the existing placeable mug but with a few ale-colored pixels in it. I could toss that in if/when I get around to working on these again since it'd require very little actual effort, but I'll need to find time to sprite again.

I can give it a try, though cans, being significantly smaller, would be a lot more difficult to make identifiable in pixel form considering how close I was already cutting it with the bottles. Definitely a consideration, though it might take a bit to experiment with, and I may not be able to pull it off at the sizes necessary, so if I never do get back to this, it's because I'm just not quite good enough, haha. =3=;;

Things don't have to be at 100% to scale.. for example, all windows are at least 2 feet deep in Terraria :p And 2 foot tall books, 2 foot tall bottles, etc.

I had some root beer in the works to go with the soda bottles but didn't have enough for a full line and didn't want to play root beer favorites by only including one (which is why the Red Bull is there instead). I may do another set of non-alcoholic bottles including stuff like root beer, ginger ale, orange soda, and whatever else to fill the gaps if necessary.

As for placeable ale, I imagine that'd just look like the existing placeable mug but with a few ale-colored pixels in it. I could toss that in if/when I get around to working on these again since it'd require very little actual effort, but I'll need to find time to sprite again.
Hmm.. was actually thinking rootbeer in a foaming mug, but any bottle you could think up would work just as well. Just pick your favorite!

As for the ale.. pretty simple, but I think it could be a great addition especially with how NPCs will be able to sit in chairs, so you could create a bar where a few folk are sitting around for a drink.

These things seem nice
41qKVh8.gif

x8HYmzf.gif

LzWWbcx.gif

98E4b21.gif
But a bit too 'modernized' in the world of Terraria

I was thinking of your suggesting of being able to place down mugs of ale, not just empty ones. Maybe some other drinks, (like new ones) would work, but I feel like these aren't the most fitting in the game. Maybe some other types of drinks. What about just straight up wine or something, not in a labeled bottle as if it came out of a factory along side several other hundreds to be shipped off to supermarkets, but in a chalice or something, or maybe something like a Pina Colada, in a cocoanut.

These tend to be plastic bottles (in the real world that is) and I'd like to know when they got plastic in the world of Terraria.

I understand that these are referential to real world counterparts but I just feel like it doesn't fit too well in the world of Terraria.

Then there's also the problem of legal issues. Sure they might not have any actual labels on them, but it doesn't take a genius to recognize that there's a Coke, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Red Bull, 7 Up and Pepsi. I dont know all soft drinks, as I'm not exposed to the American ones, I assume however that the others I could not recognize are also references to other brands that I've just never heard of.

Oh also
And 2 foot tall books

I used to have a Bible that big, so it is possible...

We can make bows without string.. so I think we can make sodas without plastic. We've got glass bottles, so maybe they're made of glass.

..We can also make ale out of nothing but wood. I don't think anything is "too modern" for Terraria, seeing how we have light sabers and chain guns and rocket launchers and etc.

Things don't have to be at 100% to scale.. for example, all windows are at least 2 feet deep in Terraria :p And 2 foot tall books, 2 foot tall bottles, etc.
I generally don't trouble myself with size relative to the player, it's more a case of size relative to the other, related decorative items. IMO, it'd just look a bit silly to have a bottled soda and a canned soda next to one another and both to be equal in size should they be placed next to one another, haha.

Hmm.. was actually thinking rootbeer in a foaming mug, but any bottle you could think up would work just as well. Just pick your favorite!
That's work, as well, it'd basically be the same as the ale but, well, browner instead of a more golden color.

These things seem nice
But a bit too 'modernized' in the world of Terraria... ...These tend to be plastic bottles (in the real world that is) and I'd like to know when they got plastic in the world of Terraria.
We're about to get aliens, and we've already got handguns and drills and lightsabers and a cyborg (among a great deal of other things). I think it depends on one's personal perspective; I personally like it as a schizo-tech setting.

My headcanon on the setting includes lots of space elements as-is, and the idea of these being "exotic drinks" from the Traveling Merchant is meant to explain how they got here when they didn't originate here. I know at least one line of dialogue from the Party Girl referencing Sweden, so Earth is certainly not unheard of, and the Traveling Merchant himself sells pelts of Earth animals, so there's a good chance that he's been to Earth or has been trading with people who've been to Earth and can bring along some drinks for people who're tired of brewing their booze out of Blinkroot. ;>

Then there's also the problem of legal issues. Sure they might not have any actual labels on them, but it doesn't take a genius to recognize that there's a Coke, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Red Bull, 7 Up and Pepsi. I dont know all soft drinks, as I'm not exposed to the American ones, I assume however that the others I could not recognize are also references to other brands that I've just never heard of.
It's sort of the price to pay to let some people have a bit of a smile and a nod who'd recognize them. The soft drinks were really cutting it because they're just that ubiquitous, but I didn't even intend to include them until they were suggested by someone, and I chose to sprite them more just for the personal challenge of seeing if I could get them looking good (which would be the main reason I do more of them, if I do more of them).

The liquors are a little more readily slipped under the radar due to the game's likely demographics, but I still tried to make them pretty recognizable to anyone who is partial to any of the particular brands. I had my dad and brother look at them and they were able to identify most of them. Think of it as a Parental Bonus.

Terraria already does include quite a few shout-outs to copyrighted things, which is the only reason I even thought to test the waters with these. It depends on where the line is drawn for a likeness in terms of getting away with it under fair use. These are certainly not being claimed as intellectual property. If anything, it's an advertisement for companies so mainstream that they don't even really need advertisement.

And, again, worse comes to worse, people can just mod these in without risking the devs' necks. I totally understand the many, many reasons why this suggestion wouldn't work, but that doesn't mean I won't leave it up in the 0.001% chance that it might. ;)

Just a small addition like this, it's great. Loving the idea and also adoring them sprites. Neat job.

-snip-

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of spamming coins into a machine to see what random drinks come out, with certain ones having rarities associated with them, but I'm not entirely sure it'd be well-received from a inventory management standpoint for mere decorative items. Add RNG to that, and people would no doubt complain that they crammed loads of money into the thing and never got the drink they wanted.
Help! the vending machine ate my money!

Okay, I haven't really felt like spriting much lately to get to some other suggestions (though I'm not sure I WILL add more at this point given the polarized nature of the suggestion at large). However, thinking on the copyright thing, I did make a quick edited batch of these just to see how they'd look.

That being, I color shifted the rows around a bit, to keep the sprite detail, but make them look more like potions. Sort of a compromise idea. I didn't shift them all drastically, so a few of them are still quite similar (either because I wanted some reds in there, or because the originals were pretty desaturated), but maybe it'll work better this way.

qHigZu7.png

It's a SUPER LAZY compromise, but I just kinda randomly had the idea earlier and I figured I'd try it out while taking a break from my next drawing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If there's any worth to it I may go and do a more thorough color change that doesn't involve just dragging some sliders around, but I'm not sure this suggestion has enough leverage to justify the effort at this time.

Oh.. those are the same sprites, just colored differently? I'm comparing them now.. I think your first attempt was better. Much more colorful with each having a unique look, but when recolored like you just posted, especially the third and some of the last rows, they look too similar. If people want them these colors, they can just paint 'em!

Oh.. those are the same sprites, just colored differently? I'm comparing them now.. I think your first attempt was better. Much more colorful with each having a unique look, but when recolored like you just posted, especially the third and some of the last rows, they look too similar. If people want them these colors, they can just paint 'em!
yeah i think so too ...
Well, the "first attempt" was actually an attempt, I wouldn't say the recolors are attempts, I literally just dragged them off into a different file in rows, opened Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation, and tweaked with the Hue slider per row. If anything, I was aiming more for getting them to look more like Health, Mana, and Restoration potions of sorts, with a few oddballs that didn't really want to play nice, haha.

As I said, it was a, EXTREMELY lazy compromise that I just randomly thought up and didn't quite feel like acting on in full capacity because I'm not sure it's even worth that effort. PERSONALLY I'd rather see them in the game as their recognizable sprites. It's just that might not be an option outside of modding.

Last edited:
I have one thing to say for this thread. "Why the heck not?". I think it would be pretty nice to have some drinks you could place on tables and stuff.

And just one thing. You don't need to change the colors of the drinks themselves. Just change the labels to not resemble their real-world counterparts. You can't copyright color. And frankly, they look kind of strange with random colored soda inside in my opinion. We should at least be able to know there is Lemon-Like soda or Cola inside!

These are cool, and AMAZING sprites,I just don't think it would fit into terraria.

Sorry.
It feels really fitting to me.. I mean, we can make beer and place bottles, even steampunk stuff. I don't see how this is unfitting out of all of that. :p

Can we also drink these? Please respond OP

And just one thing. You don't need to change the colors of the drinks themselves. Just change the labels to not resemble their real-world counterparts. You can't copyright color. And frankly, they look kind of strange with random colored soda inside in my opinion. We should at least be able to know there is Lemon-Like soda or Cola inside!
The labels are really most of the fun of this, to significantly change them would be to basically undermine about 85% of the effort I put into these. c_c;; My color theory is rubbish, so I can generally only manage this stuff by visual approximation or sampling (in this case, it was approximation).

I could possibly just color change them alone, but they'd still be pretty garish, haha.

Since the sodas were the easiest, I did a quick swap with them alone as their labels are just rectangular (versus the liquors, which have more... complicated labels, plus their shapes are just as if not more iconic than their labels so that's a different issue entirely). Over their originals for comparison.

h0CBKSz.gif

SfjnMCB.gif
Not sure if significant enough. :S kinda reminds me of Pokemon shinies hahahahahaha

Can we also drink these? Please respond OP
It's not part of the suggestion, since the suggestion is intended to be solely decorative for simplicity purposes. I don't see the liquor itself being drinkable (because, as unrealistic as this game is, slamming an entire bottle of a brand name whiskey just don't seem right, yo :dryadtongue:), though perhaps it could be used as a crafting station to make shots, which would just act like the ale and sake. Perhaps a pronounced effect and shorter duration.

The main issue for why I didn't include it in the suggestion proper is that I don't really want to promote active alcoholism with hard liquor in a game with a large demographic of younger users, haha. There's already ale and sake, which could be cutting it as-is. I'm not that well-versed in the intricacies of content discretion and ratings. :S I figured leaving them as decoration would be easier to parallel with a kid having a bartender older sibling or a parent with a liquor collection; look, but don't drink.

The cola would be possible, but if things are gonna hit the chopping block for legal purposes, those will most likely be the first to go, so I don't really wanna push for any advanced functionality yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom